News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

DEFINITE Natchez, MS meet March 19, 2022!!

Started by cjk374, March 03, 2021, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on March 03, 2022, 10:58:17 PM
Quote from: jpi on March 03, 2022, 02:47:12 PM
Cool works out, and now it's a done deal I will be there, probably the only meet I am going to get to this year. Staying in McComb for the whole weekend andplan to finish up the last of the MS counties I need and get some LA Parishes. Looking forward to it and seeing everyone!
Not even Cumberland MD? :(

I was going to say Shrewsbury....
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Update: I was told by one neurosurgeon today I should be clear to fly the plane in 13 days. Getting one more to weigh in but I've already booked the flight and car so hoping I get the same answer.

okroads

I was very interested in this meet when it was first proposed. Unfortunately, it is highly doubtful that I will be able to attend.

roadwaywiz95

Quote from: Alps on March 05, 2022, 01:08:33 PM
Update: I was told by one neurosurgeon today I should be clear to fly the plane in 13 days. Getting one more to weigh in but I've already booked the flight and car so hoping I get the same answer.

If you're actually flying the plane, I'll pass on that flight.  :-| :angry:
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

jpi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 04, 2022, 05:52:50 AM
Cool works out, and now it's a done deal I will be there, probably the only meet I am going to get to this year. Staying in McComb for the whole weekend andplan to finish up the last of the MS counties I need and get some LA Parishes. Looking forward to it and seeing everyone!

Ok, aside from my own meet I mean ;-) Not sure when Cumberland, MD is keep in mind my other hobby in some cases acts as a second income so if that comes up on a weekend of a road meet, the other hobby is high priority
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Rothman

Quote from: jpi on March 06, 2022, 09:40:10 AM

Ok, aside from my own meet I mean ;-) Not sure when Cumberland, MD is keep in mind my other hobby in some cases acts as a second income so if that comes up on a weekend of a road meet, the other hobby is high priority
What's the other hobby?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

When it makes money, it's not a hobby, it's a job ;) :bigass:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on March 06, 2022, 11:24:18 AM

What's the other hobby?

Collecting/selling miniature cars -- Matchbox, Hot Wheels, etc. I'm not sure what all brands JPI deals in, but I know of those two.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2022, 07:22:47 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 06, 2022, 11:24:18 AM

What's the other hobby?

Collecting/selling miniature cars -- Matchbox, Hot Wheels, etc. I'm not sure what all brands JPI deals in, but I know of those two.

I'll wait to hear from him, then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

A.J. Bertin

Not sure when Cumberland, MD is

Laura said she's planning on hosting the Cumberland meet on Columbus Day weekend, which would be October 8-9.
-A.J. from Michigan

Scott5114

Not sure if it matters or not since we're doing an outdoor lunch, but I have a friend from outside the forum who's curious about the hobby who is likely to attend as well.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jpi

Yes, my other hobby is JPI diecast toys, 1/64th scale diecast cars of all kinds, I have a show this weekend in St Louis and is the last of 6 shows in a row the past 6 weekends, this Natchez trip will be a nice way to "relax" and take a break from JPI diecast toys
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Rothman

Quote from: jpi on March 08, 2022, 08:08:56 AM
Yes, my other hobby is JPI diecast toys, 1/64th scale diecast cars of all kinds, I have a show this weekend in St Louis and is the last of 6 shows in a row the past 6 weekends, this Natchez trip will be a nice way to "relax" and take a break from JPI diecast toys
Gotcha.  Thanks.

cjk374

8 days til the meet. I just remembered that I need to warn y'all about the possibility of pollen happening. Today while going down my railroad track with a train, the pollen pods on the pine trees are starting to come out. The weather forecast for next Saturday is calling for sunny and warm. If you have allergies, bring your meds. You might need them.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Alps

Quote from: cjk374 on March 11, 2022, 10:27:37 PM
8 days til the meet. I just remembered that I need to warn y'all about the possibility of pollen happening. Today while going down my railroad track with a train, the pollen pods on the pine trees are starting to come out. The weather forecast for next Saturday is calling for sunny and warm. If you have allergies, bring your meds. You might need them.
My attendance is coming down to "is my cranium physically able to fly on 3/18 and physically able to drive multiple hours on 3/19". HOPING those are yeses.

74/171FAN

Thank you for mentioning that.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

wriddle082

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 12, 2022, 06:57:47 PM

Thank you for mentioning that.

Indeed, had yellow crap all over my front walkway that was made more obvious by the rain earlier this week.

And I'm not gonna make this one, or really most meets these days.  This is dance competition season for my girls, so I have to go watch them most weekends.  I don't think I'll really be able to make it to any meet until my oldest gets her license, so maybe 5 years.  That's basically when my wife says we both get our lives back!

oscar

I'm in. My sister's move to her new place is mostly complete. And today, after I and a few dozen other people reported this morning to the courthouse for jury duty, we soon found out that all the trials scheduled for today were either canceled (plea bargains or settlements) or postponed. So we all were sent home, but still pocketed the standard $30 daily jury fee, and got let off the hook for jury duty the next three years, even though none of us set foot in a courtroom.

I plan to take three days to drive to Natchez, then tack on some additional post-meet travels.

The National Weather Service is predicting minor flooding along the Mississippi River, cresting in Natchez about a foot and a half above flood stage. The weather forecast is otherwise good so far, mostly sunny with temps getting into the high 60s.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

Quote from: oscar on March 14, 2022, 04:14:05 PM
The National Weather Service is predicting minor flooding along the Mississippi River, cresting in Natchez about a foot and a half above flood stage. The weather forecast is otherwise good so far, mostly sunny with temps getting into the high 60s.

Will this affect the meet-up site, since it's immediately adjacent to the river?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cjk374

I hope not. I will take a look around and see either Friday or early Saturday morning. If we need to meet elsewhere, I will post here...& only here. Stay tuned.

Alps

Quote from: cjk374 on March 14, 2022, 09:43:00 PM
I hope not. I will take a look around and see either Friday or early Saturday morning. If we need to meet elsewhere, I will post here...& only here. Stay tuned.
Considering I'll be driving that whole morning to get there, I would strongly suggest you keep to the meeting spot or move it somewhere a couple feet higher now?

oscar

Jess, I just took a quick look at the Google Maps Street View link you posted above for what appears to be the park in Vidalia where we'll be having lunch. It seems to be on high ground, at more or less the same elevation as Vidalia's convention center, two hotels, and a hospital. I doubt the Weather Service would call any river rise high enough to affect those places "minor flooding". But you might take your own look, in case I'm missing something.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 14, 2022, 09:40:41 PM

Will this affect the meet-up site, since it's immediately adjacent to the river?

Only if there is anything inside the levee. Otherwise, water has to get pretty damn high to close anything along the Mississippi.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cjk374

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 16, 2022, 01:04:21 AM

Only if there is anything inside the levee. Otherwise, water has to get pretty damn high to close anything along the Mississippi.

All of the park, hotel, & convention center are inside the levee.

oscar

Quote from: cjk374 on March 16, 2022, 05:35:34 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 16, 2022, 01:04:21 AM

All of the park, hotel, & convention center are inside the levee.

Is there some confusion here about "inside the levee"? My guess is HRH meant "between the levee and the river", so the levee would provide zero protection against flooding.

There's a hospital right across the street from the park. States just don't allow construction of hospitals on the river side of a levee, since any flooding could endanger patients. Hotels and convention centers presumably don't get built in such areas, for similar reasons.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.