Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Gordie Howe Bridge (US-Canada)

<< < (3/28) > >>

cbeach40:

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on January 13, 2022, 06:20:43 PM ---Have it been decided what the US approach to the bridge be called yet? I see a few options here:
1) an x75
2) M-401 (my preference)
3) “Bridge to Canada”, without a route number.

--- End quote ---

Obviously MDOT has their own legal practices and such (ie, where and what is considered right-of-way), but the ramps leading to and from the bridge are I believe part of the Bridging North America concession agreement. So whether they designate a number to a facility that'll be owned and operated by a private consortium, is that something MDOT would do?

For that matter, I think that would eliminate an Interstate number, given how its funding source is foreign country.  :-D

vdeane:

--- Quote from: cbeach40 on January 26, 2022, 01:18:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: SkyPesos on January 13, 2022, 06:20:43 PM ---Have it been decided what the US approach to the bridge be called yet? I see a few options here:
1) an x75
2) M-401 (my preference)

--- End quote ---

Obviously MDOT has their own legal practices and such (ie, where and what is considered right-of-way), but the ramps leading to and from the bridge are I believe part of the Bridging North America concession agreement. So whether they designate a number to a facility that'll be owned and operated by a private consortium, is that something MDOT would do?

For that matter, I think that would eliminate an Interstate number, given how its funding source is foreign country.  :-D

--- End quote ---
Not sure what Michigan's policy is, but given how much of the US doesn't care about ownership with respect to route signing the way Ontario does, I'm not sure if that would be an issue.  Curve speeds and the lack of dividers on the bridge might be a bigger one... FHWA is stricter on making sure everything conforms to standards than they used to be, although this recently happened in Washington, so clearly there are exceptions around the border.

Henry:

--- Quote from: vdeane on January 26, 2022, 12:58:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: cbeach40 on January 26, 2022, 01:18:14 AM ---
1) an x75
2) M-401 (my preference)

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Not sure what Michigan's policy is, but given how much of the US doesn't care about ownership with respect to route signing the way Ontario does, I'm not sure if that would be an issue.  Curve speeds and the lack of dividers on the bridge might be a bigger one... FHWA is stricter on making sure everything conforms to standards than they used to be, although this recently happened in Washington, so clearly there are exceptions around the border.

--- End quote ---
I'd bet it all on M-401, as it would make the most sense as a U.S. continuation of the provincial number.

GaryV:
The approaches to the Ambassador Bridge don't have a number.  Why would they assign one for the Gordie Howe?

But if they absolutely need a number, how about CONN 401?

SkyPesos:
If it's not going to have a number, "TO ON 401" would be the best option to sign it imo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version