News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How Old Is The Brattleboro Traffic Circle

Started by roadman65, January 19, 2022, 12:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I saw a pic on a Howard Johnson Restaurant nostalgia social media post. The Ho Jo in Brattleboro was on what is today the SE quadrant of the circle. However then an overhead sign directed traffic at a signalized intersection with US 5 then with three overhead panels with a left turn panel for US 5 South to Brattleboro and pull through with I-91 North and South To 9 West ( No Vt 9) and US 5 North to Bellows Falls in text for right turns.

The pic does show old classic cars in Black and White photo.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ted$8roadFan

According to NETR'S historic aerials, somewhere between 1998 and 2003. The latter shows the circle, the former a more traditional intersection.

DJDBVT

I believe it was completed in 2000. More to come on that end of town in the next few years.

After 14 years, Putney Road project comes into focus - The Commons

roadman65

I didn't think it was that new. Thought it was done in the eighties or before.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

Quote from: DJDBVT on January 19, 2022, 05:19:38 PM
I believe it was completed in 2000. More to come on that end of town in the next few years.

After 14 years, Putney Road project comes into focus - The Commons

That's an interesting redesign. I wonder what other areas have gone with the "you don't need to make a left if we just put a ton of roundabouts in" concept.

shadyjay

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2022, 10:30:44 PM
I didn't think it was that new. Thought it was done in the eighties or before.

Definitely put in late 1990s/early 2000s.  A huge improvement over the traffic signal that used to be there. 

I remember when the US 5/VT 30 intersection wasn't a "roundabout" as well (yes I know not technically a roundabout, but instead a series of one way streets in a circular fashion).  I think that was converted in the 1990s as well.

yakra

Quote from: SectorZ on January 22, 2022, 08:09:24 AM
I wonder what other areas have gone with the "you don't need to make a left if we just put a ton of roundabouts in" concept.
While one roundabout doesn't really count as a ton unless you weigh up the big mound o'dirt, wicked big rawks an' public aht in the centah, left turns are prohibited at the end of the newly two-way Bedford St, forcing this movement to U-turn via new the Deering's Corner roundabout. I doubt that most Portland drivers are bothered by this though, and do what they want regardless.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

DJDBVT

Quote from: shadyjay on January 22, 2022, 12:22:00 PM
I remember when the US 5/VT 30 intersection wasn't a "roundabout" as well (yes I know not technically a roundabout, but instead a series of one way streets in a circular fashion).  I think that was converted in the 1990s as well.

Yes, that was mid-1990s, around the same time the district courthouse was built in the center of that triangle. With all three legs being two-way, traffic was a nightmare (by Vermont standards, of course). While not perfect, the new configuration is a vast improvement over what once was.

KEVIN_224

Five roundabouts in 1.25 miles? Are they nuts? I've walked that road several times. Mostly since the bus agency is in the south end near Exit 1 and all but one hotel are in the north end, closer to the current roundabout and exit 3.

I did my first day trip to town, back when Greyhound/Vermont Transit had their trailer in the north end, next to the Mobil station. It was definitely a traffic light set-up then.

Rothman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 29, 2022, 09:18:30 PM
Five roundabouts in 1.25 miles? Are they nuts? I've walked that road several times. Mostly since the bus agency is in the south end near Exit 1 and all but one hotel are in the north end, closer to the current roundabout and exit 3.

I did my first day trip to town, back when Greyhound/Vermont Transit had their trailer in the north end, next to the Mobil station. It was definitely a traffic light set-up then.
See Malta, NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

KEVIN_224

I saw maybe three on Google Maps. I'm guessing you mean US Route 9?

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.