California Agricultural Inspection Stations

Started by TheGrassGuy, February 13, 2021, 12:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrassGuy

Mod Note: Split off posts related to California Agricultural Inspection Stations dated February 2021 and February 2022 from the General "California" thread on 2/17/2022. Figured it might be better to have a dedicated thread for further inquiry and discussion. –Roadfro

Is CA the only U.S. state with border checkpoints?

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 13, 2021, 12:06:34 PM

If you mean Border Patrol, then no you'll find them anywhere within 100 miles of the Mexican Border.  If you mean agriculture stations that would also be a no.  Although California is really weird about placing agricultural stations in the middle of a right of way whereas almost every other state has them built like a truck scale.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 13, 2021, 12:11:14 PM

If you mean Border Patrol, then no you'll find them anywhere within 100 miles of the Mexican Border.  If you mean agriculture stations that would also be a no.  Although California is really weird about placing agricultural stations in the middle of a right of way whereas almost every other state has them built like a truck scale.

I meant agriculture checkpoints for state borders. What other states have them?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 13, 2021, 12:22:30 PM

Off the top of my head Florida had them but they were grade separated and required only commercial vehicles to enter. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 13, 2021, 12:24:53 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 13, 2021, 12:22:30 PM

Off the top of my head Florida had them but they were grade separated and required only commercial vehicles to enter. 

AZ had them in the '60's through the early '90's; these were less permanent installations than seen in CA -- usually pavement turnoffs where a state vehicle could be parked and the lanes coned off for much the same sort of inspection process that CA has.  Some of those wide spots are still in evidence on I-8 and I-10.  IIRC, they were "budgeted out" about 25 years ago in AZ.  They primarily operated in daytime; the notable exception was during CA's "Medfly" agricultural crisis back in 1981 and 1982, where they saw 24/7 staffing for several months so as to offer some level of protection for AZ's citrus industry centered in the lower Gila River valley along I-8. 

deathtopumpkins

Florida still has them, but like Max said, only for commercial vehicles.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

jander

Hawaii has agricultural check stations.  Granted, they are at the airport, but the concept applies.

jakeroot

Quote from: jander on February 16, 2021, 12:34:09 AM
Hawaii has agricultural check stations.  Granted, they are at the airport, but the concept applies.

This is the last time I encountered any agriculture checkpoint. Last couple times I drove into California, the inspection states either directed passenger traffic to bypass or were closed.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2021, 02:05:51 AM

This is the last time I encountered any agriculture checkpoint. Last couple times I drove into California, the inspection states either directed passenger traffic to bypass or were closed.

The couple times when I was a kid going to SoCal from Las Vegas, I remember having to wait a while to get through the old I-15 station. I recall them asking about fruits and vegetables. First time through (I might've been about 6 at the time), I couldn't fathom why they cared.

For a while in the mid 2000s at the I-80 station near Truckee, they'd at least ask where you were coming from. I'd say "Reno", and they'd let me go on my way. One time I tried saying "Fallon," thinking that maybe originating from a town with agriculture operations might get a different response, but nope.

I've never seen a closed CA inspection station–I'm guessing this was not on a highly-trafficked route. Every time I've driven through one in a passenger vehicle over the last decade or so, I've pretty much been waived through–although my experiences have been mostly coming from Reno heading through the I-80 station or either US 395 station, so not lightly traveled. Only passenger cars I've seen held up lately were those towing boats (as there's been invasive mollusk problems around Tahoe and elsewhere). But it does make me wonder sometimes why California has spent so much money in the past decade or so rebuilding the check stations* with so many lines for passenger cars when you barely even have to stop your car anymore. (*I believe the I-80 inspection station was rebuilt about 10-15 years ago, and the I-15 station was rebuilt and relocated within roughly the last 5 years.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on February 16, 2021, 01:05:37 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2021, 02:05:51 AM

The couple times when I was a kid going to SoCal from Las Vegas, I remember having to wait a while to get through the old I-15 station. I recall them asking about fruits and vegetables. First time through (I might've been about 6 at the time), I couldn't fathom why they cared.

For a while in the mid 2000s at the I-80 station near Truckee, they'd at least ask where you were coming from. I'd say "Reno", and they'd let me go on my way. One time I tried saying "Fallon," thinking that maybe originating from a town with agriculture operations might get a different response, but nope.

I've never seen a closed CA inspection station–I'm guessing this was not on a highly-trafficked route. Every time I've driven through one in a passenger vehicle over the last decade or so, I've pretty much been waived through–although my experiences have been mostly coming from Reno heading through the I-80 station or either US 395 station, so not lightly traveled. Only passenger cars I've seen held up lately were those towing boats (as there's been invasive mollusk problems around Tahoe and elsewhere). But it does make me wonder sometimes why California has spent so much money in the past decade or so rebuilding the check stations* with so many lines for passenger cars when you barely even have to stop your car anymore. (*I believe the I-80 inspection station was rebuilt about 10-15 years ago, and the I-15 station was rebuilt and relocated within roughly the last 5 years.)

I've been driving into California on and off since I was younger, but really only cared to notice the inspection stations later in life. My information on them, as you might imagine then, isn't perhaps as matured as yours....upon further thought, I think they were open but were waiving drivers through.

The last two times I drove into California was via I-5 and US-199 (former being the standard route, latter used due to fires near Shasta). Both are fairly major routes into California from Oregon, so it wouldn't make sense for those inspection stations to be closed. But I swear they did not stop us or ask us anything, and simply waived us through along with most other vehicles. It seemed like maybe they were stopping only those vehicles with trailers or beds? I'm not totally sure what was going on. I do recall driving into California around 2011 with some family, and we definitely were stopped and had a very brief discussion. I would have been 16 at the time and recently taking an interest in roads, so it was the first time I gave them any thought. We were wagon-training in a couple minivans; I guess we looked suspicious? Or maybe it was the "good old days" when everyone got stopped.

ClassicHasClass

Whenever I've entered on US 395, it was closed half the time, and I've never seen the US 6 one open, though I guess it must be sometimes.

On the other hand, I've never seen the I-15 or I-40 ones closed.

Alps

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 16, 2021, 05:05:54 PM
Whenever I've entered on US 395, it was closed half the time, and I've never seen the US 6 one open, though I guess it must be sometimes.

On the other hand, I've never seen the I-15 or I-40 ones closed.
OT: According to the Time Dilation Calculator, your signature "0-60 in 59.999997 years" works out to traveling at an average velocity of 58.9077 miles per second for your entire life.

ClassicHasClass

There's just no stopping me. :sombrero:

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/pfZK5SjUgZcxH3NN6
Why is US 101 port of entry different from US 199?

I entered California by car from Oregon on US 199, yet was not required to stop at the agricultural inspection, yet this GSV image shows that all traffic entering the Golden State has to clear inspection before traveling any further.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

US 199 has an agricultural inspection station.  They are listed as officially open 24 hours a day, but actually they close sometimes and don't announce the schedule of when they are closed.  Shortage of staff perhaps?  Anyway, at those times they just let traffic pass through without inspection.

Max Rockatansky

I've been through US 199 once during the late night and the station was closed. 

J N Winkler

I've had to clear agricultural inspection at just two locations when entering California--once on I-10 at Blythe and twice on I-80 at Donner Pass at the old location.  I've driven past inspection stations that were either closed or not actively inspecting vehicles on US 97, US 101, and US 395 (Topaz Lake).  I suspect staffing resource is limited and, to the extent feasible, targeted to the crossings where it will deliver the greatest benefit in averted pest eradication expense.

Border Patrol checkpoints are a different matter--I've rarely driven past one that wasn't staffed, though I've been waved through a time or two.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jdbx

I drive past the agricultural checkpoints along I-80 and US-50 several times a year, and cannot remember the last time I was ever stopped.  It seems like they are closed most of the time when I pass by, and even when they are open I just get waved past.  Could be that I have a CA plate and probably look like obvious Reno/Tahoe weekend tourists.

kkt

I've driven through the California Agricultural Inspection Station on US 97 near Doris a few times.  Mostly open, once or twice closed.  Once there was a guy there who just glanced at my car - little Mazda sedan with Washington plates - and waved me through. 

gonealookin

It's true that the choice of who is stopped at the California bug stations (as they are called locally) is in some measure related to the state that issued your license plate.  CA and neighboring states are waved through with no questions asked.  I have a Nevada specialty plate which was dropped after very few were issued over the couple years they were available (it's one of these).  Recently the person at the US 395 Topaz Lake station was stopping me, then took a second look at the plate and said "Oh, that's Nevada, have a nice day then."

Alps

Quote from: jdbx on February 16, 2022, 02:00:07 PM
I drive past the agricultural checkpoints along I-80 and US-50 several times a year, and cannot remember the last time I was ever stopped.  It seems like they are closed most of the time when I pass by, and even when they are open I just get waved past.  Could be that I have a CA plate and probably look like obvious Reno/Tahoe weekend tourists.
Never been stopped with any variety of random plates. I feel like they look for trucks and people who look like they have a lot of stuff in their car. One time I even had a fruit in the car! I ate it soon after.

skluth

Quote from: Alps on February 16, 2022, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: jdbx on February 16, 2022, 02:00:07 PM
Never been stopped with any variety of random plates. I feel like they look for trucks and people who look like they have a lot of stuff in their car. One time I even had a fruit in the car! I ate it soon after.
I was stopped when I moving here in 2018; I had Missouri plates. I haven't been stopped since I got my California plates. I was also stopped about 20 years ago when I had a rental car; I don't recall the plates but I rented the car in Vegas.

US 89

I don't recall getting stopped at the one on I-80 when we passed through with Utah plates in 2013.

J N Winkler

I've heard the bit about cars with California and Nevada plates being waved through.  All of my car trips to California have been in vehicles with Kansas plates, and I was let through at Blythe despite answering the fruits-and-vegetables question with "No" around a mouthful of carrot.  The most troublesome stop was at Donner Pass when I was on a SR 99/SR 70/SR 89/I-80 Feather River Highway loop trip and so had to answer the where-are-you-coming-from question with "Sacramento."  That was in 2002, and the station has since been relocated from just west of SR 89 to just east of it so that it is less likely to intercept traffic originating in California.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SkyPesos

Not just CA. I remember seeing something similar on both directions of I-75 in FL (near MM 445) when heading down there. Trucks have to exit and get checked there, while cars can skip it. I think I-95 and I-10 may also have them, though I'm not really sure, as I only entered FL on I-75 before.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.