News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: Master son on June 28, 2012, 11:48:11 PM
That's Wisconsin for ya - the US 8 bypass around Rhinelander was 55 when installed, but they cut it to 45 because it got traffic lights

I doubt it was because of the traffic lights at least not if WisDOT controls it.  Stoughton Rd (US 51) between the beltline and Cottage Grove Rd in Madison is posted at 55 with two traffic lights. That stretch also has a colorful crash history, yet the double nickel posting remains. My money would be on local politics.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jwags

Quote from: DaBigE on June 29, 2012, 12:55:37 AM
That's Wisconsin for ya - the US 8 bypass around Rhinelander was 55 when installed, but they cut it to 45 because it got traffic lights

I doubt it was because of the traffic lights at least not if WisDOT controls it.  Stoughton Rd (US 51) between the beltline and Cottage Grove Rd in Madison is posted at 55 with two traffic lights. That stretch also has a colorful crash history, yet the double nickel posting remains. My money would be on local politics.

I believe the STH 16 bypass around Watertown is 45 because of the fact that part of it enters the city therefore making it a money maker.

mgk920

I think that the speed limit is that way on WI 16 around Watertown because it is very substandard and in need of modernization - with a reason to wonder why it wasn't built as a full freeway to begin with - and now functions more as a major city street instead of a full-fledged bypass highway.  Parts look like they are still stuck in the 1960s and the city just kind of grew up around it since.

Stoughton Rd, OTOH, is more highly engineered with relatively few intersections and with fairly minimal upgrades could function as a full freeway over much of its length.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Stoughton Road, with all the traffic and the lights, is posted at 55mph.  The same as the Jefferson and Fort Atkinson bypasses that rarely have enough traffic to even need to pass anyone.  Bizarre.

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on June 29, 2012, 11:43:30 AM
Stoughton Rd, OTOH, is more highly engineered with relatively few intersections and with fairly minimal upgrades could function as a full freeway over much of its length.

Mike

"Highly engineered" is debatable. I would agree for the stretch between Buckeye Rd and the Wis 30 intersection. The Beltline - Buckeye Rd and Wis 30 - Kinsman Blvd segments, however, not so much. A year or two ago, post a couple serious crashes along the Pflaum Rd - Buckeye Rd segment, there were a few articles floating around the capitol city newspapers, begging for something to be changed.

Interestingly, the Stoughton Rd (US 51)/E Washington Ave (US 151) intersection was originally planned as becoming a full-fledged interchange, rather than an at-grade signal. Unfortunately, commercial development occurred first, and effectively squashed any plans for an interchange conversion.

Post Merge: July 01, 2012, 08:53:29 AM

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 29, 2012, 12:15:29 PM

Stoughton Road, with all the traffic and the lights, is posted at 55mph.  The same as the Jefferson and Fort Atkinson bypasses that rarely have enough traffic to even need to pass anyone.  Bizarre.

Stoughton Rd is posted at 55 between the Beltline and the Milwaukee St interchange; posted 45 between Milwaukee St and E Washington Ave (US 151); posted 35 between E Washington Ave and Kinsman Blvd.

mgk920

I checked out the latest version of the US 10 Marshfield Spur on Monday.  All but the Auburndale section is open, but the parts where it was a temporary two lanes are still one lane while crews were still busy erasing the old lines and applying the new ones.  The part by Marshfield is a full freeway from the roundabout at Center St (US 10 takes a 90 degree turn there) and County 'T' at Hewitt.  (Note, others may dispute me on this and I may not live long enough to see it happen, but I don't think that we've seen the end of this road here.)

The WI 13/Veterans Parkway interchange at the halfway point in that freeway section is numbered, but that caught me off-guard and I was unable to record what its number is.  I don't recall numbers on the other two interchanges on the Marshfield Spur and there are none on any of the other US 10 interchange east of I-39, including here in the Appleton area.

At the south end of the north-south surface section of US 10 south of Marshfield, the new roundabout by the wayside is 1/4 complete, the northwest quadrant is in place with a temporary lane setup for EB US 10 traffic.

Yes, I am still amazed at the pace of work on the Auburndale section and it being completed by mid-late August is well within reason.

Mike

SSOWorld

What I don't get is why do they keep WIS 34 to Rapids even though 13 follows it through.  That is a classic Wisconsin habit - terminate highways along a concurrency.

Oh and that road doesn't end there, it just turns left. :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

on_wisconsin

QuoteDOT Plans To Study Converting US 12/18 To A Freeway

POSTED: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 --- 3:30 p.m.

A busy section of highway that's packed with commuters everyday could be making a major transformation. But for some living along the road, more interstate means more problems. We're talking about US 12/18 from where the Beltline ends at the Interstate 39/90 interchange all the way to Highway N near Cottage Grove. Louis Schowerer doesn't like the sound of what she's hearing. She and her husband have lived along US 12/18 for 38 years. She says, "We're not ready to go to town we want to stay here." They're worried they might lose their home. She says, "There has only been one or two accidents here and I don't think there is that much traffic that we need to redo everything right away."

12/18 is a busy highway and while it's already 4 lanes. The department of transportation is talking about doing more by turning it into an interstate. Changes to the highway would obviously affect anyone who drives it but some of the biggest changes, and at this point biggest concerns, come from those who don't have a lot of room between the highway and their place. John Dott's lives along the highway and has his business there as well." He says, "I just put a bunch of money in that building up there 2 years ago."

Nostalgia Auto Restoration sits right at a 12/18 intersection. Dott says, "I've tried to cling to this corner for 35 years because of the property value and if that's going to affect that drastically I'm not going to be too happy. " The possibility of widening the road, overpasses and frontage roads could mean big changes for these property owners even if it would be a few years down the road. Dott says, "Maybe that's worse. Now I have to worry about it for 8 to 10 years. What am I going to do? Do I want to sell this whole property, get out of the business? I don't know."

Schwoerer says, "If you speak up once in a while it helps, but if they have their mind already made up."

According to a DOT project manager the reasoning here is pretty simple. They're looking at the amount of traffic flow and safety. They expect quite a bit of future growth east of the interstate and want to be prepared with the proper infrastructure when that starts happening. They did recently make one change to the road for safety reasons at the AB intersection, but say that was only a temporary fix. There are still some dangerous intersections and as traffic increases things would only get worse. Tonight's meeting is just the first step and they're only in the study phase.

Any construction would be years down the road.

Tonight DOT staff say they just want to hear from the public about any concerns and suggestions.

From the WisDOT:

A public information meeting will occur on Tuesday, July 31 to discuss the US 12/18 Freeway Conversion Study between I-39/90 and US 12/18 (Beltline interchange) and the County N interchange in Dane County. The meeting is scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Cottage Grove Town Hall, 4058 County N, Cottage Grove, WI 53527.

This meeting will introduce the study and its goals while obtaining information from area residents. Conversion of US 12/18 to a freeway would eliminate at-grade intersections within study limits and reduce access to interchanges. The study will evaluate additional interchanges, grade-separated overpasses, and frontage roads to connect local roadways without interruption to freeway traffic flow.

No construction activities are planned at this time.

The public is encouraged to attend the meeting, provide input and ask questions regarding this project. Maps of the area will be on display and attendees will be given the opportunity to provide written or verbal comments. WisDOT representatives will be available to discuss the study on an individual basis.

If you are unable to attend the meeting, or would like more information, contact Craig Pringle at (608) 242-8058. Written comments regarding the project can be mailed to Craig Pringle, WisDOT Project Manager, 2101 Wright Street, Madison, WI 53704. Citizens who are hearing-impaired and require an interpreter may request one by contacting Craig Pringle at least three working days prior to the meeting via the Wisconsin Telecommunications Relay System (dial 711).
http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/DOT-Plans-To-Study-Converting-US-1218-To-A-Freeway-164488196.html
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

DaBigE

triplemultiplex

Ah, look at the non-roadgeek interchangeably using the words 'freeway' and 'interstate'.  Silly journalists.

This is just me talking, but if my driveway dumped out onto a rural expressway with 70 mph traffic, I would welcome such access control.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

agentsteel53

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 01, 2012, 04:58:14 PM

This is just me talking, but if my driveway dumped out onto a rural expressway with 70 mph traffic, I would welcome such access control.

US-290 west of Austin, TX comes to mind.  no access control, a moderate amount of driveways (residential, storefront, and ranch access) - and a speed limit of 70!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SEWIGuy

US-12/18 needs to be four lanes between I-39/90 and Cambridge.  The amount of traffic on that highway has increased considerably over the past decade.  At least the entire intersection with WI-73 needs to be redesigned.

JREwing78

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 02, 2012, 10:05:44 AM
US-12/18 needs to be four lanes between I-39/90 and Cambridge.  The amount of traffic on that highway has increased considerably over the past decade.

I'll add on a 4-lane bypass of Cambridge for US-12, and extend it to Fort Atkinson. Cambridge gets an awful lot of traffic through it's narrow downtown.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 02, 2012, 10:05:44 AMAt least the entire intersection with WI-73 needs to be redesigned.

I saw something about that here: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/projects/swregion/73/maps.htm  6 alternatives being considered, 3 of them overpasses. They'd be insane NOT to have one, at the very least to maintain throughput on US 12/18.

mgk920

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 03, 2012, 07:41:37 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 02, 2012, 10:05:44 AM
US-12/18 needs to be four lanes between I-39/90 and Cambridge.  The amount of traffic on that highway has increased considerably over the past decade.

I'll add on a 4-lane bypass of Cambridge for US-12, and extend it to Fort Atkinson. Cambridge gets an awful lot of traffic through it's narrow downtown.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 02, 2012, 10:05:44 AMAt least the entire intersection with WI-73 needs to be redesigned.

I saw something about that here: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/projects/swregion/73/maps.htm  6 alternatives being considered, 3 of them overpasses. They'd be insane NOT to have one, at the very least to maintain throughput on US 12/18.

I think that WisDOT is insane to not be proposing at least one conventional diamond interchange option at US 12/18/WI 73....

:banghead:

Mike

JREwing78

In other news, WIS 26 between the north Jefferson business-loop exit and Fort Atkinson's south business loop exits is now posted for 65 mph. It's much, much nicer than having to putz along at 55 or scanning the roadside for cops nervously doing 64.

No idea if they're going to bump the speed limit between Johnson Creek and Watertown; the 55mph stretch north of Jefferson is similar, and hasn't been raised.

jwags

Here's an email reply I recieved regarding the speed limit on STH 26.
QuoteOn Jul 11, 2012, at 8:56 AM, "Dramm, Dena - DOT" <dena.dramm@dot.wi.gov> wrote:

The ultimate goal for the speed limits on the new STH 26, from Janesville to Dodge County, is to establish 65mph zones on all the appropriate segments.  The existing 45mph speed zone through Johnson Creek will remain in place.  Transitional 55mph zones on the north and south ends of Johnson Creek will also be established.

When a sufficiently long segment of the new roadway is completed, we will establish a 65mph speed zone on it.  As you noted, the section of new STH 26 around Watertown has already been signed at 65mph.  As Mark noted, we are hoping to have the new section from Fort Atkinson to Jefferson, signed at 65mph by the end of next week.

From here forward we have included the 65mph signing in the those construction projects that will complete segments of roadway of sufficient length continuity with previously established 65mph zones to make the transition a smooth one.

JREwing78

These "transitional 55mph zones", at least as I've observed them thus far, are quite long.

On the north end, it starts at Ebenezer Dr south of Watertown, and continues as 55mph south to River Dr. in Johnson Creek. By Google Maps' reckoning, it's about 3 1/2 miles. If they extended the 65mph section farther south since my last visit, the logical transition point would be at either Spruce Dr or Baneck Ln.

On the south end, I'll charitably calculate it from County Y south to Jefferson Rd/Earl Ln, about 1 1/2 miles. The 45mph section might extend south of the new railroad overpass now; it was hard to tell the last time I went through there.

Much as I'm confounded with the strip of WIS 26 north of I-39/90 in Janesville, I'm confounded by the Johnson Creek section. WISDOT spent a boatload to upgrade and reroute the highway everywhere else, but then left this choke point without an obvious plan for remediation. The worst part is that WIS 26 through Johnson Creek can be upgraded to freeway right up to the I-94 interchange, but seems destined to be a traffic-choked commercial strip for at least the next 20 years.

jwags

The 55 limit north if JC has been moved to just north of Emerald Drive now.

SSOWorld

Wisconsin is notorious for putting 55 zones in odd places and not adding 65 zone where they are needed.  Though many 65 zone should be 70 instead.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 05, 2012, 12:22:53 PMMuch as I'm confounded with the strip of WIS 26 north of I-39/90 in Janesville, I'm confounded by the Johnson Creek section. WISDOT spent a boatload to upgrade and reroute the highway everywhere else, but then left this choke point without an obvious plan for remediation. The worst part is that WIS 26 through Johnson Creek can be upgraded to freeway right up to the I-94 interchange, but seems destined to be a traffic-choked commercial strip for at least the next 20 years.

Check my I-39/90/WI 26 (Janesville) musings that I posted in the 'Fictional Highways/Redesigning Interchanges' subforvm a few weeks ago: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3618.msg160354#msg160354

:nod:

Mike

triplemultiplex

I don't foresee Johnson Creek and Janesville being more than a minor inconvenience (/speed trap) for the next couple decades.  Ostensibly, WI 26 is a corridor for the Fox Valley to points south of Chicagoland as the Janesville to Rockford corridor is an intermediate traffic draw from the Fox Valley at most.

Personally, I would've have built Jefferson, Watertown and Milton bypasses as super-2's on 4 lane r/w's at this time based on my experiences on WI 26.  It's slowness seemed only due to the density through the those towns, not from thru traffic.  Those 70 mph facilities that are opening now seem way overpowered for the traffic volumes I've observed on them.  I would have rather spent that money on urban freeway rebuilds and access control on existing rural expressways.  All that ongoing stuff in the Fox Valley should've been done a decade ago, for example; a much higher priority than the WI 26 corridor.

Then again, I am biased by my own travel patterns.  WI 26 is perpendicular to most of my road trips. I'm dismissive of WI 26 while dreaming of an interstate-compatible freeway between Oshkosh and Stevens Point. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Jordanah1

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 05, 2012, 09:01:50 PM

Then again, I am biased by my own travel patterns.  WI 26 is perpendicular to most of my road trips. I'm dismissive of WI 26 while dreaming of an interstate-compatible freeway between Oshkosh and Stevens Point. ;)
i like that dream.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

JREwing78

I suspect part of the rush to get a 4-lane WIS 26 put together is the upcoming I-39/90 widening work south of Madison. US 151 is hardly overloaded northeast of Sun Prairie, but anything WisDOT can do to pull traffic off I-39/90 will help (it's the reason WisDOT tried to pull forward the US 14 western bypass of Janesville). For Janesville-to-Milwaukee traffic, it's also a good alternative to I-43 while the stretch in Waukesha County is under construction.

I'm at least moderately surprised nothing significant has been discussed at WisDOT regarding the stretch of WIS 26 between Waupun and Oshkosh. That stretch has had heavy traffic every time I've traveled it, and you can tell traffic drops off considerably on US 151 headed into Fond du Lac past the northern WIS 26 exit.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 05, 2012, 09:01:50 PM
I don't foresee Johnson Creek and Janesville being more than a minor inconvenience (/speed trap) for the next couple decades.  Ostensibly, WI 26 is a corridor for the Fox Valley to points south of Chicagoland as the Janesville to Rockford corridor is an intermediate traffic draw from the Fox Valley at most.

Personally, I would've have built Jefferson, Watertown and Milton bypasses as super-2's on 4 lane r/w's at this time based on my experiences on WI 26.  It's slowness seemed only due to the density through the those towns, not from thru traffic.  Those 70 mph facilities that are opening now seem way overpowered for the traffic volumes I've observed on them.  I would have rather spent that money on urban freeway rebuilds and access control on existing rural expressways.  All that ongoing stuff in the Fox Valley should've been done a decade ago, for example; a much higher priority than the WI 26 corridor.

Honestly, I drive WI-26 all of the time, and I am amazed at how little traffic the Jefferson and Fort Atkinson bypasses have on them.  The three times I have been on the Watertown bypass have been similar.

And that is why I see no reason to worry about upgrading Johnson Creek.  It is a hassle, but a minor one considering the costs of the alternatives.

Jordanah1

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 05, 2012, 10:39:06 PM
I suspect part of the rush to get a 4-lane WIS 26 put together is the upcoming I-39/90 widening work south of Madison. US 151 is hardly overloaded northeast of Sun Prairie, but anything WisDOT can do to pull traffic off I-39/90 will help (it's the reason WisDOT tried to pull forward the US 14 western bypass of Janesville). For Janesville-to-Milwaukee traffic, it's also a good alternative to I-43 while the stretch in Waukesha County is under construction.

I'm at least moderately surprised nothing significant has been discussed at WisDOT regarding the stretch of WIS 26 between Waupun and Oshkosh. That stretch has had heavy traffic every time I've traveled it, and you can tell traffic drops off considerably on US 151 headed into Fond du Lac past the northern WIS 26 exit.
WI26 handles about the same, or a little more traffic from U151 to US41, than US151 does to Fond Du Lac.
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/counts/maps.htm
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.