News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 03, 2022, 03:00:58 PM
I prefer Football Team, way more distinct and memorable.

But far harder to protect as a trademark because it is at most "merely descriptive" (that's the term used in trademark law). If, for example, someone wanted to have a team in some league–say the XFL–in Washington State and call it "Washington Football Team," the DC team would have had a very tough time preventing them from doing so if they'd continued to use that "name."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

1995hoo

Quote from: kurumi on February 03, 2022, 10:50:54 PM
How about the Washington 495ers?

366ers would fit, too, and it's a lot closer to the training complex and team headquarters (located here in Loudoun County; the map says Redskin Park Drive, but I know the team applied to change the street name and I assume the county approved). Edited to add: Street View from July 2021 shows a street sign reading "Coach Gibbs Dr."

:bigass:

Henry

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 03, 2022, 03:11:32 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 03, 2022, 02:27:02 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 02, 2022, 02:08:44 PM
The new name is as dumb as ever. I can see all sorts of jokes now.

The Washington Commandos.

The Washington Commodes (accurate for FedEx Field).

The Washington Ant Traps (anyone seen the superhero lying around somewhere?).

The Washington Ant Hill (It's a people trap set by the government).

You could probably add more to the list.

Some guys on others forums suggested the name of the Sentinels, as a nod the the fictionnal team from the movie The Replacements (don't confuse it with the Disney cartoon).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4gMECNA1Ss
My suggestion was renaming them the Bullets, but no one listened to me.
Besides, the Wizards still own the rights to that name. With this, the Capitals are now the only team that still play under their original name.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abefroman329

Quote from: Henry on February 04, 2022, 01:14:38 PMBesides, the Wizards still own the rights to that name.
Well, so much for that idea, then.

I wonder if Leonsis still owns the rights to the Washington Valor name.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2022, 02:12:12 PM
Quote from: Henry on February 04, 2022, 01:14:38 PMBesides, the Wizards still own the rights to that name.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Valor's Arena Bowl championship banner still hangs in Verizon Center (next to the Mystics' WNBA championship banner, which is odd because the Mystics don't play there anymore).

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 04, 2022, 05:39:43 PM

Wouldn't surprise me. The Valor's Arena Bowl championship banner still hangs in Verizon Center (next to the Mystics' WNBA championship banner, which is odd because the Mystics don't play there anymore).
Seems fair to me - the Atlanta Thrashers' lone conference champion banner still hangs at State Farm Arena.

kevinb1994

Doug Pederson is apparently now the Jags' head coach. I like the decision, but we need to get better again.

Big John

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2022, 05:53:28 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 04, 2022, 05:39:43 PM

Seems fair to me - the Atlanta Thrashers' lone conference champion banner still hangs at State Farm Arena.
That was for their sole divisional championship, where they were swept for their sole playoff appearance.

kevinb1994

Apparently the Broncos are for sale and Byron Allen (AKA Allen Media) is interested in buying them.

EDIT: The WalMart empire bought them and they're now the butt of late-night jokes. Still looking forward to seeing the Jags play them in London, OTOH.

NWI_Irish96

So there are now reports that USC and UCLA are going to leave the PAC-12 for the Big Ten. Likely a response to Texas and Oklahoma bolting the Big 12 for the SEC.

[Can an admin change the name of this thread to 'College Football Thread' since we have a separate NFL thread?

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 30, 2022, 02:15:22 PM
So there are now reports that USC and UCLA are going to leave the PAC-12 for the Big Ten. Likely a response to Texas and Oklahoma bolting the Big 12 for the SEC.

[Can an admin change the name of this thread to 'College Football Thread' since we have a separate NFL thread?
Shocking news, and bad news for the sport. Every year it becomes more and more clear that college football as it's currently structured isn't sustainable. At this rate the Big Ten and SEC are going to annex every big team and then merge with each other to create the super league (which the same 4-5 teams will still come to dominate). That's not what the sport is about. If fans want a super league featuring all the best players and most popular teams, they're in luck already: it's called the NFL.

The appeals of college football are the rare big nonconference games (which won't happen if every good team is in the same conference), the rivalries (which I suppose will remain), the upsets (which will be watered down), the school pride (which has largely been taken away by NIL), the conference championship games (which won't matter besides the super league), and bowl games (which are hardly relevant anymore, and would be completely squashed by the super league).

All in all, I give college football until 2040 at the absolute latest before one of two things happens: a), the aforementioned super league forms and destroys the sport, or b), the sport falls apart before that even happens because of NIL or a massive corruption scandal or smaller programs dying or all of the above.

1995hoo

Maybe the Big Ten should be called the Union Conference and the SEC the Confederacy Conference. Their champions meet in a one-game playoff called the War Between the States by the Confederacy Conference and the Civil War by the Union Conference.

DTComposer

While I think this move makes sense for USC and UCLA in the short term (the Pac-12 has been shooting itself in the foot repeatedly over the last fifteen years) to get some of that sweet, sweet cash and television exposure, in the longer term it benefits the rest of the Big 10 much more than these two schools. While they're both "blue blood" programs (USC in football, UCLA in basketball), they've both vastly underperformed relative to their legacies the last 25 years, and scheduling Ohio State, Michigan State, etc. and making multiple cross-country trips to play in cold weather each year isn't going to lead to improved records anytime soon.

Plus, the Big 10 gets the L.A. television market, and recruiting there just got even easier for the other schools. And all the other sports? Sure, they'll get some of that money, but all the extra travel is going to make their academic life that much harder.

Most of the sources I've seen say the Big 10 isn't done. I can easily see invites to Oregon (the only other really consistently relevant football program in the Pac-12), Washington (generally above average, plus a top-15 market), and maybe Stanford and Cal (not relevant in football and basketball, but among the most championships in olympic/individual sports, two of the top academic schools in the country, and the number six television market). But by that point, why not just merge the conferences? That seems to be where we're headed anyway - two super conferences and everyone else from the FBS in the college equivalent of triple-A.

Roadgeekteen

I hate the USC and UCLA move so much. I really hope that they reconsider.

Also Baker Mayfield really got traded for pennies huh.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CoreySamson

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 08, 2022, 12:33:13 AM
I hate the USC and UCLA move so much. I really hope that they reconsider.
At this point college football needs to restructure everything, or it will just turn into the NFL G League, or worse, the NCAA Champions League. I'm not saying that my "College Football Radical Revamp" thread's ideas are exactly necessary, but there needs to be a new structure that fixes college football's problems.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CtrlAltDel

Apparently, a twelve-team college football playoff will be starting in 2026.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Big John

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 02, 2022, 08:04:28 PM
Apparently, a twelve-team college football playoff will be starting in 2026.
at the latest, could be as soon as 2024.

Roadgeekteen

This should make things more interesting in CFB with expanded playoffs

Ted$8roadFan

I like the idea of a larger playoff so that other teams have a chance. However, there are many logistical challenges that will need to be overcome.

thspfc

What doesn't make sense is that seeds 5-8 will get home playoff games, but seeds 1-4 won't because the quarterfinals and semifinals will be at bowl sites. They should have the first round and semifinals be at bowl sites, with the quarterfinals on home campuses. It's weird, but that's the only way it makes sense to me.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on September 03, 2022, 08:56:27 AM
What doesn't make sense is that seeds 5-8 will get home playoff games, but seeds 1-4 won't because the quarterfinals and semifinals will be at bowl sites. They should have the first round and semifinals be at bowl sites, with the quarterfinals on home campuses. It's weird, but that's the only way it makes sense to me.

Would you rather get a bye or play a home game.

Doesn't matter anyway. The first time there's an SEC team seeded 9-12 that has to play north of Lexington in December, they'll eliminate home games. SEC doesn't play in cold weather.

US 89

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 03, 2022, 09:22:45 AM

Doesn't matter anyway. The first time there's an SEC team seeded 9-12 that has to play north of Lexington in December, they'll eliminate home games. SEC doesn't play in cold weather.

Which is such bullshit. This weekend Utah is playing Florida in Gainesville and all the commentators are going on about how it'll be such a test for Utah to play in the humidity. That's fine, but whenever SEC teams have to play in cold, the narrative shifts to "this is so unfair". Ridiculous double standard.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: US 89 on September 03, 2022, 11:52:03 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 03, 2022, 09:22:45 AM

Which is such bullshit. This weekend Utah is playing Florida in Gainesville and all the commentators are going on about how it'll be such a test for Utah to play in the humidity. That's fine, but whenever SEC teams have to play in cold, the narrative shifts to "this is so unfair". Ridiculous double standard.

Alabama has played 2 non-conference home games since Saban took over in 2007. TWO IN 15 SEASONS

2009 at Duke in September
2010 at Penn State in September

On the rare occasion that Alabama schedules a highly ranked non-conference opponent, it's a "neutral site" game in Atlanta, New Orleans or Dallas, where Alabama fans will buy 80% of the tickets. In fact, every neutral site game Alabama has played in under Saban, including bowls and playoff games, have been in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona or California, with the lone exception of last season's CFP final in Indy.

The SEC schedules to ensure that their top teams will have very few or zero nonconference losses. Then the conference champion points to wins over 2-loss and 3-loss conference teams, none of whom have played anybody good outside their conference.

And I don't blame them. The other conferences could have insisted on more rigorous scheduling when setting up the bowl/playoff system, but haven't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.