News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2019, 12:40:28 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 23, 2019, 06:44:45 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 23, 2019, 05:05:04 AM
Because, quite frankly, it's boring and uninteresting if the same team is likely to win every year. What's the point of watching if you know who the winner is?
Plus, Pats fans, more often than not, are smug, and I can't wait for the team to finally crash and burn and for those fans to suffer.
When are the Bills and the Fish and the Jits ever going to provide decent competition again?

It starts in that division.  It's been what 10 years since any of them has won the division?
When the commissioner of the NFL is partying with the family of the owner of one of the teams, do you really expect the other teams in that divison to ever win?
This has become the Patriots Hate Thread.

Beltway

When are the Bills and the Fish and the Jits ever going to provide decent competition again?
It starts in that division.  It's been what 10 years since any of them has won the division?
When the commissioner of the NFL is partying with the family of the owner of one of the teams, do you really expect the other teams in that divison to ever win?
How is that preventing them from winning?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

thspfc

Quote from: Beltway on December 24, 2019, 09:29:58 AM
He was claiming that the NFL is favoring the Patriots (probably through referees), and that's why the Jets can't win more than eight games in a season. . . ?

And watch the Patriots/Chiefs game again if you think that the refs are biased for the Patriots.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on December 24, 2019, 09:36:06 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 24, 2019, 09:29:58 AM
He was claiming that the NFL is favoring the Patriots (probably through referees), and that's why the Jets can't win more than eight games in a season. . . ?

And watch the Patriots/Chiefs game two weeks ago again if you think that the refs are biased for the Patriots.

Isn't this the game the reporters and the fans had a field day with?  Brady complaining he didn't have a call go their way, when there's about 15 years' worth of calls that have gone their way?  Not too many people were upset with that one.  And if that Ref or the one on his crew that made that bad call isn't working the NFL next year, you'll know why.

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 23, 2019, 05:05:04 AM
Because, quite frankly, it's boring and uninteresting if the same team is likely to win every year. What's the point of watching if you know who the winner is?
Plus, Pats fans, more often than not, are smug, and I can't wait for the team to finally crash and burn and for those fans to suffer.

I know you like the conspiracy theories of this, but speaking as a fan of one of the other AFC East teams, the rest have rarely come close to even clinching the division in the past 18 years (Dolphins in '08 on the last week, the year Brady was out after Week 1).

You just don't get that many lucky breaks year-after-year, unless you're actually that good, no matter how despicable the Patriots can be at times. The luckiest part is how inconsistent their divisional rivals can be. It's easy to find a coupe of blown calls with a microscope because damnit...they manage to get into more of those important games than all the other teams.

People do get weary of any league or sport that has repetition, but it's rarely enough to turn away fans compared to the core of each teams' fanbases. If there's other underlying issues or other things competing for time, that's what really erodes the ratings.

Beltway

Quote from: formulanone on December 24, 2019, 10:02:10 AM
I know you like the conspiracy theories of this, but speaking as a fan of one of the other AFC East teams, the rest have rarely come close to even clinching the division in the past 18 years (Dolphins in '08 on the last week, the year Brady was out after Week 1).
The Jets never really have been much of a factor (except SB III), but the Bills and Dolphins have been winners in numbers of years.

As said over the last 18 years those teams have been pathetic.  If there was any form of corruption then their owners should have called it out, repeatedly.

They have just done a crappy job over the last 20 years.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

TheHighwayMan3561

I hate my crappy, underachieving team. Fuck them, fuck this sport. And fuck the local morons who accept mediocrity and just making the playoffs as good enough.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DaBigE

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 24, 2019, 03:23:43 PM
I hate my crappy, underachieving team. Fuck them, fuck this sport. And fuck the local morons who accept mediocrity and just making the playoffs as good enough.

It could be worse...at least you're not Detroit.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Beltway

Quote from: DaBigE on December 24, 2019, 05:01:04 PM

It is worse ... if you root for Washington or Dallas and remember their mini-dynastys and playoff runs and multiple Super Bowl victories in the 1980s and 1990s ... and have seen how poorly they have done since then.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2019, 07:45:50 PM

There's an updated video. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIbmT2Rs8vw

Alps

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 24, 2019, 09:16:19 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2019, 07:45:50 PM

There's an updated video. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIbmT2Rs8vw
Okay, I never saw that third one.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on December 22, 2019, 06:53:46 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 21, 2019, 09:18:35 PM
Have they changed the league's name to the NEFL yet? As with Super Bowl LIII, if they (New England) make it to LIV in Miami Gardens, I will not watch.

I didn't watch, listen or monitor LIII whatsoever. Didn't fully know the final score until maybe 11:30 ET that night. I stayed off Facebook all night. Didn't receive any messages from my brother (Seattle fan, but despises New England, too).
I'm astonished by people who hate winners. Winning is not a dislikeable trait, yet so many people get salty about constant winners and I don't know why. (I'm not a fan of any NFL team, much less the Patriots.)

I hate "winners" who cheat to do it.  The Patriots and their two spygates plus deflategate.  The roided up baseball winners of nearly every WS from 1989-2004.  Lance Armstrong.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Beltway

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 26, 2019, 05:52:40 PM
I'm astonished by people who hate winners. Winning is not a dislikeable trait, yet so many people get salty about constant winners and I don't know why. (I'm not a fan of any NFL team, much less the Patriots.)
I hate "winners" who cheat to do it.  The Patriots and their two spygates plus deflategate.  The roided up baseball winners of nearly every WS from 1989-2004.  Lance Armstrong.

Right. These teams (love 'em or hate 'em) had dynasties without cheating -- Dallas, San Francisco, Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Beltway on December 26, 2019, 06:11:54 PM

Right. These teams (love 'em or hate 'em) had dynasties without cheating -- Dallas, San Francisco, Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh.

Green Bay may have achieved their own dynasty without cheating, but they prevented another one in 1986 with one of the dirtiest hits ever on Jim McMahon.  If a Packers QB got decapitated on the field, I'd stand up and cheer.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Beltway

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 26, 2019, 06:13:07 PM
These teams (love 'em or hate 'em) had dynasties without cheating -- Dallas, San Francisco, Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh.
Green Bay may have achieved their own dynasty without cheating, but they prevented another one in 1986 with one of the dirtiest hits ever on Jim McMahon.  If a Packers QB got decapitated on the field, I'd stand up and cheer.
There are a list of reasons that football analysts have for why the 1985 Bears, as amazing as they were, did not win more Super Bowls.  There are many articles out there.

https://historiansfootball.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/who-is-to-blame-for-the-bears-not-winning-multiple-super-bowls-in-the-eighties/

Coaching problems, a lackluster offense ("The offense always looked a little clunky and disjointed"), their schedule ...

(Robert Coté, 2002)

ilpt4u

Quote from: Beltway on December 26, 2019, 06:24:24 PM
There are a list of reasons that football analysts have for why the 1985 Bears, as amazing as they were, did not win more Super Bowls.  There are many articles out there.

https://historiansfootball.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/who-is-to-blame-for-the-bears-not-winning-multiple-super-bowls-in-the-eighties/

Coaching problems, a lackluster offense ("The offense always looked a little clunky and disjointed"), their schedule ...
Bill Walsh and the West Coast Offense just happens to be the perfect antidote to the punishing 46 Zone Defense. Could be part of why the 49ers became the dominant team late 80s, not the Bears

The rules package of the Modern NFL is the Vaccine against the 46 Zone...If a team tried to run that as their Base Defense now, with as Physical as the Corners have to be with the Wide Outs, there would be a Defensive Penalty almost every down

Its a great Defense against Run and Play Action Pass Offenses, which were plentiful in mid-80s NFL football.

Its also a great Defense against Zone Read (Virginia Tech demonstrated that with an Upset win over Ohio St a few years ago), but so far, no NFL Defensive Coordinator has Installed it to play the Ravens. Part of me would like to see a high level 46 Zone vs the current Ravens, but I still think the current Rule Limits on Defensive Backs would tilt the scale heavily Ravens.

Your Corners are on islands in 46 Zone...need to be able to use your hands, especially against the size and speed of current NFL Wide Outs

Rothman

Have they changed the league's name to the NEFL yet? As with Super Bowl LIII, if they (New England) make it to LIV in Miami Gardens, I will not watch.

I didn't watch, listen or monitor LIII whatsoever. Didn't fully know the final score until maybe 11:30 ET that night. I stayed off Facebook all night. Didn't receive any messages from my brother (Seattle fan, but despises New England, too).

*yawn*

Yeah, I'm sure deflated balls played a major part in that victory over the Colts. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on December 26, 2019, 09:51:28 PM

*yawn*

Yeah, I'm sure deflated balls played a major part in that victory over the Colts. :D

What I've never understood is about sports fandom is how naive a lot people really are that athletes, coaches, and teams try to cheat.  I don't understand how anyone can look at a modern football player or baseball player and think that those are the results from working out with professional trainers.  Regarding "deflate gate" didn't the Colts lose by over 30 points if memory serve correct?  Cheating or not the Colts clearly were the lesser of the two teams by a large margin.

Alps

You are a horrible person and deserve misfortune.

mgk920

Quote from: Alps on December 27, 2019, 12:50:53 AM

You are a horrible person and deserve misfortune.

And he conveniently forgets that McMahon ended his career as a Brett Favre backup at Green Bay. He was at the Brett Favre HoF celebration game along with Bart Starr and numerous other notable Packers' alumni a few years ago - as a Packer.  It was quite obvious to me (I was at that game) that he did bury that hatchet long ago, was happy to be there and was well received by the fans.

Mike

Beltway

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 26, 2019, 08:47:44 PM
Quote from: Beltway on December 26, 2019, 06:24:24 PM
Bill Walsh and the West Coast Offense just happens to be the perfect antidote to the punishing 46 Zone Defense. Could be part of why the 49ers became the dominant team late 80s, not the Bears
There is a saying, defense wins championships.... but it takes a sufficiently potent offense as well.  The Bears' just didn't really get it done.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

thspfc

*yawn*

It might have been 31-7 instead of 45-7 if they had used adequate balls. It could have been 10-7, for pete's sake. The Pats would have won regardless.

Beltway

Quote from: thspfc on December 27, 2019, 09:28:26 AM
*yawn*  Yeah, I'm sure deflated balls played a major part in that victory over the Colts. :D
It might have been 31-7 instead of 45-7 if they had used adequate balls. It could have been 10-7, for pete's sake. The Pats would have won regardless.

Maybe true about the deflated balls, but what about the spying and videotaping of the signals of other teams?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on December 27, 2019, 11:49:44 AM
Quote from: thspfc on December 27, 2019, 09:28:26 AM
*yawn*  Yeah, I'm sure deflated balls played a major part in that victory over the Colts. :D

Maybe true about the deflated balls, but what about the spying and videotaping of the signals of other teams?

There wasn't anything that was going to save the Colts other getting more talented and better coached, neither happened.   It's not like this kind of stuff is exclusive to the New England Patriots, the Houston Astros on the base ball side have been in similar scandals. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.