News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kwellada

Quote from: LM117 on March 24, 2020, 03:36:27 PM
The Panthers have given Cam Newton the boot.

https://www.panthers.com/news/carolina-panthers-release-qb-cam-newton

This is a strange outcome for Newton.  You just don't expect a 1st overall pick who led his team to a Super Bowl to just get cut outright.  I don't think he's been the same since Von Miller gave him PTSD in the super bowl and his injuries are certainly a concern, but it's still surprising to see it happen. 

oscar

After they signed Teddy Bridgewater, who turned in solid performances for the Saints while Drew Brees was recovering from his thumb injury.

IMO, a good exchange for the Panthers.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: kwellada on March 24, 2020, 03:51:10 PM

This is a strange outcome for Newton.  You just don't expect a 1st overall pick who led his team to a Super Bowl to just get cut outright.  I don't think he's been the same since Von Miller gave him PTSD in the super bowl and his injuries are certainly a concern, but it's still surprising to see it happen. 
Recency (or lack thereof) bias? He was 1st overall many years ago, but past performance doesn't indicate current results.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on March 23, 2020, 04:08:00 PM
It's embarrassing. It has to be a joke. HAS to be.

I don't know, you would hope so, but there is nothing at all on the internet saying it's a joke.
Yikes. I don't know who's more spooked right now, Browns fans after seeing that, or Steelers fans after seeing Big Ben gone total caveman. Both look like the furthest thing from an NFL quarterback at this point.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on March 24, 2020, 10:08:52 PM
Yikes. I don't know who's more spooked right now, Browns fans after seeing that, or Steelers fans after seeing Big Ben gone total caveman. Both look like the furthest thing from an NFL quarterback at this point.

I hadn't seen that video. Beardy Ben!

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on March 25, 2020, 05:30:36 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 24, 2020, 10:08:52 PM
I hadn't seen that video. Beardy Ben!

I hadn't either until it was played on the ATN podcast (which I recommend, by the way: great comic relief amidst tough times!!)

Roadgeekteen

RIP to Tom Dempsey, former Saints kicker. He used to hold the record holder for longest field goal, and was famous for having half of one foot. He died April 4th from Covid-19.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SP Cook

https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/10/xfl-operations-suspended-terminated-laid-off-employees/

And, as predicted, the XFL is no more.

WFL-USFL-XFL1-WLAF/NFLE-CFL USA-UFL-XFL2 

People say they want more football.  Until given more football.

Eth

Quote from: SP Cook on April 10, 2020, 01:19:26 PM

I see you've just awakened from a 6-week-long nap.

Roadgeekteen

https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/10/xfl-operations-suspended-terminated-laid-off-employees/

And, as predicted, the XFL is no more.

WFL-USFL-XFL1-WLAF/NFLE-CFL USA-UFL-XFL2 

I don't think their shutting down for good. They still have a skeletal crew of employees.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: Eth on April 10, 2020, 01:33:33 PM

Not shit. To proclaim the XFL as dead thanks to anything other than COVID-19 is unfair. Viewership was perfectly adequate for a brand-new league.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on April 10, 2020, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: Eth on April 10, 2020, 01:33:33 PM

Not shit. To proclaim the XFL as dead thanks to anything other than COVID-19 is unfair. Viewership was perfectly adequate for a brand-new league.

While I didn't watch it myself, I think they did ok. Agreed that you can't blame this one on anything else than COVID.  It takes a lot of money to start up a new league, and to have it shut down roughly halfway into its 1st season gave them nearly no time to recoup that money spent.

SP Cook

Viewership was perfectly adequate for a brand-new league.

The league GAVE its TV rights away.  Viewership figures are thus irrelevant. 

Roadgeekteen

Texans traded for Brandin Cooks. Wouldn't it be great to have DeAndre Hopkins instead?

jakeroot

Quote from: SP Cook on April 11, 2020, 08:42:29 AM

So you're saying the XFL primarily made money by in-person viewership? The one thing that became impossible thanks to COVID-19?

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on April 11, 2020, 05:16:50 PM

So you're saying the XFL primarily made money by in-person viewership? The one thing that became impossible thanks to COVID-19?
Yup. They went for "unpaid exposure". We know how that works.

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on April 11, 2020, 07:20:10 PM

Yup. They went for "unpaid exposure". We know how that works.

In light of recent events...not fucking well

Roadgeekteen

Don't sports leagues make the vast majority of their money off of TV?

NWI_Irish96

No new sports league was going to survive this pandemic, regardless of the sport or business model.

The model the XFL chose game them the greatest chance for sustained success, sacrificing short term revenue in an attempt to gain viewers.  It was working very well until this all happened.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 12, 2020, 09:16:02 AM
No new sports league was going to survive this pandemic, regardless of the sport or business model.

The model the XFL chose game them the greatest chance for sustained success, sacrificing short term revenue in an attempt to gain viewers.  It was working very well until this all happened.
I still think that there is a market for spring football, both leagues got kinda unlucky.

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 10:01:22 AM

I still think that there is a market for spring football, both leagues got kinda unlucky.

"Both"? There have been three, not counting the one run by the NFL. The USFL fell apart due to mismanagement. A lot of people blame the owner of the New Jersey Generals (whatever did happen to that guy, anyway?), and certainly he caused his share of problems, but the league had plenty of other issues aside from him.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 12, 2020, 10:47:11 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 10:01:22 AM

"Both"? There have been three, not counting the one run by the NFL. The USFL fell apart due to mismanagement. A lot of people blame the owner of the New Jersey Generals (whatever did happen to that guy, anyway?), and certainly he caused his share of problems, but the league had plenty of other issues aside from him.
I'm talking about the AAF and the XFL. Heard that the AAF folded under shady circumstances.

SP Cook

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 12:42:41 AM
Don't sports leagues make the vast majority of their money off of TV?

Traditionally, yes.  The XFL v.2 had a different plan.  It gave the TV rights away for nothing.  Thus it was irrelevant how many were watching on TV.  All the league made was the live gate; along with small amounts from in-stadium billboards and logo wear. 

Even if it sold every single ticket at the full list price, it could not have made money.  And it was alleged that they "papered the house" (gave away free tickets to add to the excitement), which is probably true.  This was supposed to be for this year and the next.  As the league belong to 'raslin promoter Vince McMahon he was going to subsidize it from his 'raslin profits and hope to get a legitimate TV deal for 22.   

Thus the world shut down SAVED not cost McMahon $$ relative to this football venture, as he lost money on every game. 

Henry

At least there will be an NFL Draft, albeit in a very different format, as all teams will pick from their own headquarters instead of gathering at the league's big offices in New York. It's going to be televised on ESPN/ABC and the NFL Network, and will definitely be the most interesting draft ever, given the current state of the world in general.

As for the season, it's a whole different story, but the upside is, the NFL (and college football) are lucky that they play late in the year, so they should start on time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.