News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on September 30, 2021, 10:03:41 AM
Speaking of teams moving, it looks like da Bears will be leaving downtown Chicago for the suburbs in a few years:

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/statement-released-regarding-arlington-park

This should have been done 20 years ago, before the area bounded by Roosevelt, 18th, Clark, and LSD got developed. Could have built a modern, 80,000 seat stadium with a retractable roof, parking, restaurants/bars and hotels. Now, Arlington Heights is really the only place to do this.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Speaking of teams moving, it looks like da Bears will be leaving downtown Chicago for the suburbs in a few years:

Soldier Field was already ruined by the renovations.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SP Cook

Like the 1970s "renovations"  to Yankee Stadium, these consisted of, more or less, building a 95% new stadium inside the shell of the old one.  At $424M in taxpayer money.  How any political entity spends that kind of money and doesn't tie the team up in a multi-generational lease is beyond me.

abefroman329

Quote from: SP Cook on September 30, 2021, 11:47:57 AMHow any political entity spends that kind of money and doesn't tie the team up in a multi-generational lease is beyond me.

The Bears are tied up in a multi-year lease - they'll have to pay about $84M to the city to break it.  I don't think either party would be interested in a multi-generational lease.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 30, 2021, 11:08:40 AM

Soldier Field was already ruined by the renovations.

A modern football stadium that could have been usable for 40+ years was never going to fit in the historic outer shell. There was an irrational public demand that the Bears continue to play inside that outer shell, so we ended up getting what's there now.

This time around, everybody realizes that continuing to play inside that shell is no longer an option.

thspfc

Soldier should be demolished the second the Bears play their last game there. Don't let it turn into another Silverdome, rotting emptily and becoming an ugly feature of the Chicago lakefront. The Chicago Fire can play in the new stadium, as moving out to the suburbs could be good for them since I'd assume that's where most of their fan base is, making it less of a chore to attend a game.

abefroman329

Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2021, 12:22:38 PMThe Chicago Fire can play in the new stadium, as moving out to the suburbs could be good for them since I'd assume that's where most of their fan base is

It's...not.  There's a reason they no longer play in Bridgeview.

jakeroot

Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2021, 12:22:38 PM
Soldier should be demolished the second the Bears play their last game there. Don't let it turn into another Silverdome, rotting emptily and becoming an ugly feature of the Chicago lakefront. The Chicago Fire can play in the new stadium, as moving out to the suburbs could be good for them since I'd assume that's where most of their fan base is, making it less of a chore to attend a game.

This is really the only option. That whole area down there is far too valuable to let a stadium sit empty. As long as it's no longer historic, take it down and reconsider the whole south end of the Lakeshore.

I'm not really sure what I think about the move. Suburban stadiums are really boring. Chicago is a cool city, with great transit and lots to do right in the immediate vicinity.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 30, 2021, 03:41:42 PM
There's already an Arlington Cowboys. :bigass:
Move the Football team to Arlington Virginia and the Patriots to Arlington Mass

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 30, 2021, 05:41:02 PM

I'm not familiar with Arlington, MA, but finding anywhere in Arlington, VA, to build a football stadium would be quite the challenge.

kevinb1994

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 30, 2021, 05:58:43 PM

I'm not familiar with Arlington, MA, but finding anywhere in Arlington, VA, to build a football stadium would be quite the challenge.
There's also an Arlington here in Florida (Jacksonville, in what used to be unincorporated Duval County, but was consolidated in 1968). But for logistical reasons the Jags play near what used to be the border between East Jacksonville (annexed in 1887) and Fairfield (which was briefly an incorporated town starting in 1880, gave its name to the old Gator Bowl (the game did not exist until after World War II) stadium upon its opening in 1928, and was also annexed in 1887).

Roadgeekteen

Yeah neither Arlington would realistically work.

abefroman329

I don't remember if this is in Arlington or Alexandria, but the site of the PRR's former Potomac Yard was one site considered for Nats Park.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 30, 2021, 08:34:32 PM

I don't remember if this is in Arlington or Alexandria, but the site of the PRR's former Potomac Yard was one site considered for Nats Park.

It's in Alexandria.

oscar

Alexandria was probably a candidate since Arlington told MLB to get lost when it was sniffing around for DC-area stadium sites. Arlington's logic applies as much to Alexandria, and more so for football than baseball -- a stadium used for only a few games a year, plus some special events, doesn't make sense from the economic development standpoint, with much better development opportunities available in Arlington (or Alexandria), like the new Amazon HQ2 plan that came around later.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Roadgeekteen

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 30, 2021, 11:34:38 PM
Urban loses again
He took over the worst team in the NFL and learned that there isn't as much parity as he thought.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on October 01, 2021, 12:38:29 AM
Urban loses again
He took over the worst team in the NFL and learned that there isn't as much parity as he thought.
"It's like playing Alabama every week"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 01, 2021, 12:41:42 AM
Urban loses again

Alabama couldn't compete reasonably with any modern NFL team, even the worst ones.

thspfc

Urban loses again
Not disputing that Urban is mostly likely not going to last more than three seasons, however, you know that if the Jags won, you would say "Lawrence wins"  and not "Urban wins" . Seems like the narrative this year is that the struggles of the rookie quarterbacks are all the coaches' faults.

webny99

Still an OK performance by the Jaguars, as they led for the entire game even though they lost. That last drive by the Bengals was clinical. You'd think they'd been doing it for 50 years.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 01, 2021, 12:50:39 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 01, 2021, 12:41:42 AM
Urban loses again
Alabama couldn't compete reasonably with any modern NFL team, even the worst ones.
Especially if Bama had to follow NFL roster rules: 53 man roster. Salary cap. Limited Practice Squad. Actually paying the talented players. Annual Rookie Draft with a selection order the inverse of previous season records/standings.

ilpt4u

Quote from: webny99 on October 01, 2021, 08:06:13 AM
Still an OK performance by the Jaguars, as they led for the entire game even though they lost. That last drive by the Bengals was clinical. You'd think they'd been doing it for 50 years.
Jags should have let Uzomah score on that Zero Blitz catch inside 2 minutes. With only 1 TO remaining, tackling him at the 21 yard line was a self-inflicted wound, as a fresh set of downs at that field position inside the 2MW is suicidal when the game score is Tied

Let him run into the EZ and score, and at least the Jags and Trevor get the ball back with about a 1:10 on the clock or so

So far, Urban is playing checkers. He might figure it out, maybe

Poor TO management in the 2nd Half matters in the NFL. Taking a Delay of Game in the 3rd Qtr is worth having TOs later in the game

SP Cook

So how long until he fakes a heart attack and moves down to an easier conference?

Again.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.