News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Quote from: GaryV on February 26, 2022, 08:47:18 AM
The I-75 closure is to take down bridges at Lincoln and Gardenia (effectively 10 1/2 Mile and 11 1/2 Mile roads)

They will also be installing crossovers so that 2 lanes in each direction will be sharing the southbound roadway. I believe this would be in preparation for replacing the nb bridge over 13 Mile Rd. (Sb was done last year.)

Edit: Also ramps from I-696 to nb I-75 will be closed for most of the year.

The crossovers are not only for the northbound bridge, but for reconstruction of northbound I-75 between I-696 and a bit north of 13 Mile Road this year.

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 26, 2022, 10:23:12 AM
For other traffic currently I-275 is backed up NB from north of the US-12 exit to I-94 but that should be clear before anyone reads this.

Nope.  According to the revive275.org website, northbound I-275 is scheduled to be down to one lane between Eureka Road and 5 Mile Road beginning today through early March.  I'm guessing this is for lane realignment and placement of the temporary Jersey median barrier in preparation for putting all traffic on the northbound side while the southbound side is reconstructed this year.  Then it will be two lanes in each direction through the end of the year.  Interestingly, the mi.gov/drive traffic map currently shows the northbound slowdown but nothing about the lane closure.

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 26, 2022, 11:11:00 AM
The I-75 closure is to take down bridges at Lincoln and Gardenia (effectively 10 1/2 Mile and 11 1/2 Mile roads)

They will also be installing crossovers so that 2 lanes in each direction will be sharing the southbound roadway. I believe this would be in preparation for replacing the nb bridge over 13 Mile Rd. (Sb was done last year.)

The crossovers are not only for the northbound bridge, but for reconstruction of northbound I-75 between I-696 and a bit north of 13 Mile Road this year.

For other traffic currently I-275 is backed up NB from north of the US-12 exit to I-94 but that should be clear before anyone reads this.

Nope.  According to the revive275.org website, northbound I-275 is scheduled to be down to one lane between Eureka Road and 5 Mile Road beginning today through early March.  I'm guessing this is for lane realignment and placement of the temporary Jersey median barrier in preparation for putting all traffic on the northbound side while the southbound side is reconstructed this year.  Then it will be two lanes in each direction through the end of the year.  Interestingly, the mi.gov/drive traffic map currently shows the northbound slowdown but nothing about the lane closure.
That was the backup when I made the post. It's now backed up from Ann Arbor Road to Ecorse Road.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 26, 2022, 11:17:13 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 26, 2022, 11:11:00 AM

That was the backup when I made the post. It's now backed up from Ann Arbor Road to Ecorse Road.

I was responding to your "should be clear before anyone reads this" comment.  There will be traffic backups for the rest of the year.

23skidoo

An update on plans to turn 375 into a boulevard: https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309,7-387-90499_90640-578777--,00.html

QuoteDETROIT, Mich. - Governor Gretchen Whitmer announces that the State of Michigan is moving forward with plans to replace the outdated I-375 freeway with an urban boulevard to spur economic development and provide easier access between adjacent areas of Detroit. The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) has concluded their environmental review process after securing a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI), which allows the project to advance to the design phase, beginning this spring.   

Terry Shea

This is quite telling.  Michigan is about 1/3 larger than Indiana in both population and area.  So, one might think that Michigan would have more to report on than Indiana, road and highway wise.  Yet Indiana Notes has 3 times as many pages as Michigan Notes.  I'm guessing it's because Indiana has a much better DOT system and a state government that addresses road and highway needs and does so in a much more timely fashion.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Terry Shea on March 21, 2022, 11:27:06 PM
This is quite telling.  Michigan is about 1/3 larger than Indiana in both population and area.  So, one might think that Michigan would have more to report on than Indiana, road and highway wise.  Yet Indiana Notes has 3 times as many pages as Michigan Notes.  I'm guessing it's because Indiana has a much better DOT system and a state government that addresses road and highway needs and does so in a much more timely fashion.
The general Ohio thread seems to be the loser in the Midwest board for the number of pages as of now.

JoePCool14

All you really need to do is consider how many (how few) major Michigan road projects have actually been completed in recent years.

Or maybe it's just based on the forum population. Many people come from Illinois and that's not a state that comes to mind first when I think of "lots of new roads".

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Flint1979

It's probably got more to do with the amount of people from the forum that are from Michigan and Indiana. I've posted in the Indiana Notes thread before too considering Indiana is basically my second state after Michigan. But there seems to be more people posting from Indiana and areas around Indiana than Michigan.

Ryctor2018

2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

Flint1979

The Mackinac Bridge has been reopened. It was closed for 12 hours yesterday due to ice falling from the cables and towers.

JREwing78

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 25, 2022, 09:32:26 AM
The Mackinac Bridge has been reopened. It was closed for 12 hours yesterday due to ice falling from the cables and towers.
As of 9am Eastern this morning it closed again for the falling ice issue. No timetable for reopening.

SM-G991U

Flint1979

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 25, 2022, 09:50:41 AM
As of 9am Eastern this morning it closed again for the falling ice issue. No timetable for reopening.

SM-G991U
Yeah it's closed again for the same reason. As of right now at 11:46am it is closed.

wanderer2575

The only thing telling is your uninformed bias against MDOT.  Really, you're basing its performance by the number of road enthusiasts' posts on a message board?  Well, the Ohio thread has about the same number of posts as this thread (proportionally, based on its age); should we conclude that ODOT is a failure?  I'd guess the disparity in number of posts also has something to do with the number of projects actually commented and the number of responses to any such comments.  Maybe get some actual hard information, such as total number and dollar value of projects in both states, and then get back to us.

I'm not saying there's not a difference in how the states address road needs; only that counting the number of user posts here certainly isn't the way to identify it.

Terry Shea

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 25, 2022, 11:57:36 AM

The only thing telling is your uninformed bias against MDOT.  Really, you're basing its performance by the number of road enthusiasts' posts on a message board?  Well, the Ohio thread has about the same number of posts as this thread (proportionally, based on its age); should we conclude that ODOT is a failure?  I'd guess the disparity in number of posts also has something to do with the number of projects actually commented and the number of responses to any such comments.  Maybe get some actual hard information, such as total number and dollar value of projects in both states, and then get back to us.

I'm not saying there's not a difference in how the states address road needs; only that counting the number of user posts here certainly isn't the way to identify it.

Take a chill pill.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 25, 2022, 11:46:14 AM

SM-G991U
Yeah it's closed again for the same reason. As of right now at 11:46am it is closed.

A woman stuck waiting on one end of the bridge decided she had enough and tried to make a run for it, but didn't get very far.

https://www.audacy.com/wccoradio/news/national/69-year-old-woman-tired-of-waiting-tries-to-cross-closed-mackinac-bridge?utm_campaign=www.audacy.com%252Fwccoradio&utm_content=1648563030&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=WCCO-AM&fbclid=IwAR0_uFWF2jeiqT6Bwxdz_F2QSQbn6oayvYYb7CyOr5TyT6GcN0KrbIwEDsQ
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 29, 2022, 11:13:07 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 25, 2022, 11:46:14 AM

SM-G991U

A woman stuck waiting on one end of the bridge decided she had enough and tried to make a run for it, but didn't get very far.

https://www.audacy.com/wccoradio/news/national/69-year-old-woman-tired-of-waiting-tries-to-cross-closed-mackinac-bridge?utm_campaign=www.audacy.com%252Fwccoradio&utm_content=1648563030&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=WCCO-AM&fbclid=IwAR0_uFWF2jeiqT6Bwxdz_F2QSQbn6oayvYYb7CyOr5TyT6GcN0KrbIwEDsQ
They never get too far before getting caught. Pretty dumb move on her part.

roadman65

Grand Radsips is a new control city on a Michigan Freeway ramp to I-96 eastbound somewhere between Muskegon and the aforementioned city.   

Someone posted a photo of the spelling error on FB the other day.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on April 20, 2022, 03:08:39 PM
Grand Radsips is a new control city on a Michigan Freeway ramp to I-96 eastbound somewhere between Muskegon and the aforementioned city.   

48th Avenue (Exit 19)

The Ghostbuster

Don't sign manufacturers know how to spell? R-a-d-s-i-p-s is not how you spell Rapids. Even a brain-dead idiot would know that!

Terry Shea

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 20, 2022, 03:22:40 PM

48th Avenue (Exit 19)
Actually, it was posted as Grand Radips.  Coopersville was posted as Cooperville.
https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/mdot-sign-typos/69-d0691a6a-dc86-4a84-b893-d66b13946ec4

paulthemapguy

I theorize that "Grand Radips" was a mixup relating to how a lowercase "d" is an upside-down lowercase "p" (rotationally).
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Papa Emeritus

Someone must have been celebrating 4/20 while they were making the sign.......

JREwing78

MDOT released a video discussing closures on the Mackinac Bridge for falling ice, complete with video of that falling ice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcP3AMGBNGs

Flint1979

Quote from: Terry Shea on April 20, 2022, 05:21:42 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 20, 2022, 03:22:40 PM

48th Avenue (Exit 19)
Actually, it was posted as Grand Radips.  Coopersville was posted as Cooperville.
https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/mdot-sign-typos/69-d0691a6a-dc86-4a84-b893-d66b13946ec4
Right. The d and p were in the wrong places. At least they spelled Grand right.

triplemultiplex

I thought "Radsips" would be an allusion to the number of breweries in the area. ;)

But as it is, that looks to me like a simple typo that slipped through whatever quality control process exists at either MDOT or the contractor. 
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.