News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-69 in TN

Started by Grzrd, November 27, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Now if they could do something about getting the Troy Bypass funded and constructed.

lordsutch

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 13, 2023, 11:33:53 AM
Now if they could do something about getting the Troy Bypass funded and constructed.

Considering that US 51 through Troy is one of the rural congestion hotspots highlighted on TDOT's website, I'd imagine it's a fairly high priority for funding now that it (and the state line interchange/relocation) won't be competing as much with urban projects.

As far as SIU 8 goes, while this might be veering into fantasy, given how little Tennessee state politicians care for Memphis and the emergence of Blue Oval City, it wouldn't surprise me if they scrapped or reopened the SIU 8 environmental study and rerouted I-69 down from Covington to I-40 at future SR 194, where they're already planning a partial freeway spur from the interchange northward.

sprjus4

Routing over to I-40 would be smart, IMO. It would cut the distance required of new construction between Memphis and Covington in half, and make use of the existing I-40 to enter the metropolitan area.

I-69 could overlap / replace I-240 on the south side - and I-269 would be a better bypass route for north-south traffic.

Additionally, the associated environmental and wetlands issues make the I-69 northern connection directly out of Memphis even less likely. However, from a local transportation standpoint, a freeway between Memphis and Millington, which I-69 would provide - would be useful to have. But might not be practical from a funding / environmental standpoint, unfortunately.

splashflash

https://www.nwtntoday.com/2023/09/20/highway-reopens/

In an update Monday to the county commission, Obion County Mayor Steve Carr also said TDOT indicated its goal is to have the interstate loop around Union City ready for use by motorists by Thanksgiving, but there could be a little variance on that date.

hbelkins

Quote from: splashflash on September 24, 2023, 10:12:08 PM

In an update Monday to the county commission, Obion County Mayor Steve Carr also said TDOT indicated its goal is to have the interstate loop around Union City ready for use by motorists by Thanksgiving, but there could be a little variance on that date.

Given that I=69 does not yet exist in Tennessee, wonder what the posted number will be?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: hbelkins on September 25, 2023, 03:11:36 PM

Given that I=69 does not yet exist in Tennessee, wonder what the posted number will be?

The signage plans I have seen have it signed as I-69. But I lost the document in a work computer swap a few years ago.

triplemultiplex

I'll belabor this point one more time: 13 years to construct the UC bypass?  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
You'd think Union City was crammed into the mountains somewhere surrounded by rich subdivisions and nature preserves rather than sitting on a flat plain surrounded by cotton fields.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

abqtraveler

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 25, 2023, 08:22:08 PM

The signage plans I have seen have it signed as I-69. But I lost the document in a work computer swap a few years ago.
The UC Bypass won't be connected to any other part of I-69 when it opens. Will the FHWA allow it to be signed as I-69, or will TDOT have to come up with a temporary designation until either the interchange at the state line or the Troy Bypass get finished?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Rick Powell

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 29, 2023, 09:29:21 AM
The UC Bypass won't be connected to any other part of I-69 when it opens. Will the FHWA allow it to be signed as I-69, or will TDOT have to come up with a temporary designation until either the interchange at the state line or the Troy Bypass get finished?
Sounds like a candidate for "To I-69" markers. If the UC freeway bypass temporarily becomes US 51 (due to inability to sign as I-69) does the existing UC loop become "Business 51"?

The Ghostbuster

How much do you want to bet that the Interstate 69 designation will ultimately be rerouted to follow Interstate 40 into Arkansas, ride up Interstate 55 to Hayti, MO, then replace all of Interstate 155 to the existing US 51 freeway, and the proposed Interstate 69 alignment between Memphis and Dyersburg is canceled altogether? Such a scenario does not seem that far-fetched to me.

Rick Powell

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2023, 11:43:54 AM
How much do you want to bet that the Interstate 69 designation will ultimately be rerouted to follow Interstate 40 into Arkansas, ride up Interstate 55 to Hayti, MO, then replace all of Interstate 155 to the existing US 51 freeway, and the proposed Interstate 69 alignment between Memphis and Dyersburg is canceled altogether? Such a scenario does not seem that far-fetched to me.
Not far-fetched but presumes the 40/30 corridor which already needs to be beefed up, actually will be. Texas would be happy to connect to 30 at Texarkana via 369. This plan would likely save money over the current plan, even with the upgrades needed to make it work. Avoiding a MS River crossing might save enough money to build or rehab 100 or more miles of highway (although there is a large contingency here that thinks an additional river crossing is needed "somewhere" in TN/MS/AR regardless of I-69).

JREwing78

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 29, 2023, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2023, 11:43:54 AM
Not far-fetched but presumes the 40/30 corridor which already needs to be beefed up, actually will be. Texas would be happy to connect to 30 at Texarkana via 369. This plan would likely save money over the current plan, even with the upgrades needed to make it work. Avoiding a MS River crossing might save enough money to build or rehab 100 or more miles of highway (although there is a large contingency here that thinks an additional river crossing is needed "somewhere" in TN/MS/AR regardless of I-69).

Texas would certainly be fine with that idea. It doesn't do jack for Louisiana (including Shreveport), Arkansas, Mississippi, or western Tennessee though. In particular, if I was ARDOT, I'd refuse to post I-69 as any kind of duplex of I-30, I-40, or I-55. If the feds want a single designation bad enough, they need to spread the traffic (and associated commerce) around.

I-69 in Tennessee is kind of pointless if it's not connecting communities in western Tennessee, including Dyersburg, directly to Memphis. It's the 2nd largest metro in Tennessee and the 3rd largest metro I-69 is slated to run through (Houston and Indianapolis are larger). Even if I-69 never continues on south of Memphis, there's national importance in the route *reaching* Memphis - and not as a sidecar to I-55.

If, however, I-69 did end up in Missouri, US-412 between Hayti and Walnut Ridge would get significantly busier under that scenario. Currently, despite the jog north US-412 takes in Missouri, it's only 1 mile (but 12 minutes longer per Google) to follow that path instead of taking I-55 to I-40. An all-freeway rebuild of US-412 as I-69 would cut that time difference significantly. At that point, I would want to review a) I-57 existence south of Walnut Ridge, and b) I-30's existence east of Texarkana.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

From what I saw on Monday, I'd say Tennessee isn't sure yet.
----
South of Union City, along US 51 NB, we have...

Staying on US 51 NB as you go northeast out of Union City, you will see...

---
Rest of the Photo album (with some older photos mixed in)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/roadfan_reborn/albums/72177720311851862/with/53251622360/
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

In theory, it should be signed as TN 690 as a placeholder since it will not immediately connect to I-155 or I-69.  Also I think the US 45/US 45E/US 45W/US 51 interchange is just a partial cloverleaf and needs upgrades to be part of I-69.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Rick Powell

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 12, 2023, 06:35:37 AM
In theory, it should be signed as TN 690 as a placeholder since it will not immediately connect to I-155 or I-69.  Also I think the US 45/US 45E/US 45W/US 51 interchange is just a partial cloverleaf and needs upgrades to be part of I-69.
The US 45/US 45E/US 45W/US 51 interchange has a stop sign controlled intersection that the US 51 (future I-69) NB lanes cross, a big no-no in getting the I-designation. There will be other geometric criteria that the feds will want to correct.
https://tinyurl.com/28eztv25

hbelkins

Quote from: Rick Powell on October 12, 2023, 11:19:20 AM
The US 45/US 45E/US 45W/US 51 interchange has a stop sign controlled intersection that the US 51 (future I-69) NB lanes cross, a big no-no in getting the I-designation. There will be other geometric criteria that the feds will want to correct.

The U-turn at TN 214 (Ken-Tenn Road) will also need to be addressed.

lordsutch

Quote from: hbelkins on October 12, 2023, 12:51:06 PM

Correct. TDOT and KYTC have a project in the Tennessee STIP for engineering on the state line interchange; the sketch in the TDOT STIP shows the I-69 mainline continuing northeast and then curving northwest to tie in north of the state line about where the weigh station is now.

There's nothing suggesting what will come of TN 214 but due to interchange spacing they probably will get rid of the ramps and have it tie in to Old Pierce Road or extend it east to US 45E at the existing at-grade by the middle/high school. Nor is there any indication of what if any local access will be provided to South Fulton from I-69; there probably isn't enough traffic to justify anything fancy.

wriddle082

Quote from: lordsutch on October 12, 2023, 01:22:53 PM

Correct. TDOT and KYTC have a project in the Tennessee STIP for engineering on the state line interchange; the sketch in the TDOT STIP shows the I-69 mainline continuing northeast and then curving northwest to tie in north of the state line about where the weigh station is now.

There's nothing suggesting what will come of TN 214 but due to interchange spacing they probably will get rid of the ramps and have it tie in to Old Pierce Road or extend it east to US 45E at the existing at-grade by the middle/high school. Nor is there any indication of what if any local access will be provided to South Fulton from I-69; there probably isn't enough traffic to justify anything fancy.

What if they built something like they're doing with I-55 and Crump Blvd/Riverside Dr in Memphis?  Make the I-69 mainline curve from northeast to north, make 45/45E/45W/51 and maybe also TN 214 all meet at a large roundabout, and just build two bridges for 69 south traffic going into and coming out of the roundabout.  I'm thinking that two ramp bridges wouldn't be too expensive to build.

Rick Powell

Possibly, but this median U-Turn on I-55 near Wilmington, IL was allowed to exist for decades until it was removed a few years ago. Ultimately it would be removed, but the feds might allow it to be grandfathered for a while in a signed I-69.

https://tinyurl.com/34576jtu

sprjus4

Quote from: Rick Powell on October 13, 2023, 12:29:44 AM

Possibly, but this median U-Turn on I-55 near Wilmington, IL was allowed to exist for decades until it was removed a few years ago. Ultimately it would be removed, but the feds might allow it to be grandfathered for a while in a signed I-69.

https://tinyurl.com/34576jtu
The difference is that median U-turn had acceleration / deceleration lanes, albeit small. And was a ramp design, with no straight open median break.

That's not the case with this Future I-69 example. It's a standard median break with a small turn lane.

Rick Powell

Quote from: lordsutch on October 12, 2023, 01:22:53 PM

This is the link to the STIP item, apparently the total cost is around $53M and they will spend about $3M on the planning.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/programdevelopment/rural-modifications/Rural%20Mod%20199%202066060.pdf

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I wasn't expecting Tn/Ky to go east of the 51-45s interchange and essentially blow up the weigh station. But I guess that would affect the least amount of built structures compared to staying west of everything.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

The Ghostbuster

This seems like this will be a complex project. Will they also close all ramps at Exit 0 and have all traffic accessing Fulton to use Exits 1 and 2 instead?

hbelkins

No reason they couldn't do something similar to what they did for the I-24/Purchase Parkway or WK/Pennyrile interchanges. Do a two-lane flyover and let the rest of the interchange basically remain as-is.

GreenLanternCorps

Google Maps Car drove over Future I-69 near Union City  in September on Walker Tanner Road, giving us a nice view of the almost completed Union City Bypass:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4029975,-89.0933147,3a,20.6y,43.87h,87.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj9FyDJN6LDlIZFtGBDC9pQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m2!1e4!1e1?entry=ttu

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.