News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in TN

Started by Grzrd, November 27, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 08, 2024, 01:31:32 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on February 07, 2024, 02:24:18 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 07, 2024, 11:37:17 AM
The Union City Bypass should have been completed by now. Then again, I also think the Greenville, MS Bypass should have been completed by now as well.
Well, obviously.

Any volunteers to drive out to Union City?

TDOT still says "early" 2024.

It was covered in snow a few weeks ago, and it might have been too cold to finish striping in the remaining spots. The south end at US-51 looks complete with barriers.

It's the north end between the Titan Tire rail spur to the US-51 ramps that seem to be taking the longest, which makes sense as it was the only part that wasnt graded to spec and sat fallow for 20 years.

hbelkins

The Union City Bypass should have been completed by now. Then again, I also think the Greenville, MS Bypass should have been completed by now as well.
Well, obviously.

Might make a good side trip/detour for anyone heading to the NOLA meet from the upper midwest.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ilpt4u

Well, obviously.
I could pull it off Saturday, maybe. Its a nice cozy drive down Rt 51 thru far Western KY...much more fun than taking I-24 to I-69/Purchase Pkwy

Strider

Would be wonderful if ilpt4u and hbelkins pull it off and see how the bypass look. I'm surprised TDOT have not updated anything. You know just like I-69 in Indiana.. they update every time. I guess each state is different.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2024, 10:42:45 AM
Well, obviously.

Might make a good side trip/detour for anyone heading to the NOLA meet from the upper midwest.

I won't be going by there, to or fro, from NOLA this time around.
(I did my duty back in October, as shown on page 35)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Strider on February 08, 2024, 06:59:33 PM
Would be wonderful if ilpt4u and hbelkins pull it off and see how the bypass look. I'm surprised TDOT have not updated anything. You know just like I-69 in Indiana.. they update every time. I guess each state is different.

Not me. I'm not going to New Orleans, and that area is the entire length of the state away from me. I have driven from my area to the Fulton area and back in one day before, but that was during peak daylight hours, not mid-February.

The Ghostbuster

Well, maybe someone else can check the bypass out, if they have the time to do so. Otherwise, we may have to wait until it truly opens, and/or until Google Maps (or any other map app) updates their sites to show the completed roadway.

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 09, 2024, 12:26:42 PM
Well, maybe someone else can check the bypass out, if they have the time to do so. Otherwise, we may have to wait until it truly opens, and/or until Google Maps (or any other map app) updates their sites to show the completed roadway.

Call the Obion County Highway Department:

Phone: (731) 885-5960

Henry

Quote from: edwaleni on February 08, 2024, 09:59:02 AM
Well, obviously.

TDOT still says "early" 2024.

It was covered in snow a few weeks ago, and it might have been too cold to finish striping in the remaining spots. The south end at US-51 looks complete with barriers.

It's the north end between the Titan Tire rail spur to the US-51 ramps that seem to be taking the longest, which makes sense as it was the only part that wasnt graded to spec and sat fallow for 20 years.
I'll believe it when I see it. Google Maps still doesn't show the bypass as under construction, either.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TNObion

Well, obviously.

Union City resident here...I can confirm the bypass is still not open, for whatever reason. We had a press release back before Thanksgiving, when 51 northbound would reopen. At that time, they said the plan was to have both Northbound 51 and 69 open by Thanksgiving weekend. It has been silence since then, with no explanation. There have been rumors locally about the overpasses "sinking" and TDOT keeping it closed for that reason in the meantime. I have no idea if this is true or not or even what it means for that matter, so can't confirm that.  All lines are painted and the best I can tell all signage is up, it appears ready...but remains closed.

ilpt4u

Wonder if any of the DMA's local news desks would try contacting TDOT for information. I would guess WPSD-NBC 6 Paducah would be the best chance, but KFVS-CBS 12 Cape Girardeau, KBSI-FOX 23 Cape Girardeau, and WSIL-ABC 3 Carterville, IL could possibly do a segment.

It is a weird TV DMA/market, fwiw, and there are only a couple NW TN counties in the otherwise mostly MO, IL, and KY market

Rick Powell

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 11, 2024, 02:13:23 PM
Wonder if any of the DMA's local news desks would try contacting TDOT for information. I would guess WPSD-NBC 6 Paducah would be the best chance, but KFVS-CBS 12 Cape Girardeau, KBSI-FOX 23 Cape Girardeau, and WSIL-ABC 3 Carterville, IL could possibly do a segment.

It is a weird TV DMA/market, fwiw, and there are only a couple NW TN counties in the otherwise mostly MO, IL, and KY market
WBBJ or WJKT in Jackson, TN too. They are closest outlet in TN, similar distance as Paducah to Union City, and closer than Carterville or Cape.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: TNObion on February 11, 2024, 12:04:21 PM
Well, obviously.

Union City resident here...I can confirm the bypass is still not open, for whatever reason. We had a press release back before Thanksgiving, when 51 northbound would reopen. At that time, they said the plan was to have both Northbound 51 and 69 open by Thanksgiving weekend. It has been silence since then, with no explanation. There have been rumors locally about the overpasses "sinking" and TDOT keeping it closed for that reason in the meantime. I have no idea if this is true or not or even what it means for that matter, so can't confirm that.  All lines are painted and the best I can tell all signage is up, it appears ready...but remains closed.

Thank you for the update
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

edwaleni

I finally checked in on things.

According to several authorities, they are trying to get a ribbon cutting coordinated with the Governor's office and several TN representatives.

He was touring the east side of the state this past week along with the state of the state which was on his calendar for sometime.

Since they are in legislative session (and so is the US Congress) they are trying to find a time slot where they can all be present and perform the "cut".

hbelkins

Quote from: TNObion on February 11, 2024, 12:04:21 PM

The only thing I can think of relating to overpasses "sinking" would be the normal settling of bridge ends. It's especially bad here in eastern Kentucky. Within six months to a year after the opening of a new bridge, the ends will sink to the point where they need to be wedged up with either cold mix or hot asphalt to eliminate the teeth-jarring and tit-bouncing bump.

bmeiser

Quote from: hbelkins on February 12, 2024, 11:15:33 AM
...to eliminate the teeth-jarring and tit-bouncing bump.

:-D Just about choked on an M&M reading that.

Chris

Future Interstate 69 in Union City Ready to Open

The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) is ready to open the mainline of SR 690 (future I-69) in Obion County on Wednesday, February 21. Crews will be there Wednesday morning to make the transition from the current roadway to the new roadway direction.

The section from west of SR 21 to south of SR 5 in Obion County has taken multiple projects over a decade and an investment of over $220 million.

The US 51 interchange with US 45 in Tennessee, stretching into Kentucky, is identified for funding in TDOT's 10-Year Project Plan, with construction scheduled in Fiscal Year 2028. Once completed, future I-69 in Tennessee will be connected to future I-69 in Kentucky.

Press release: https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2024/2/20/future-interstate-69-in-union-city-ready-to-open.html

The Ghostbuster

It certainly took them long enough to complete it! It better not take as long to construct the Troy Bypass, whenever that happens.

GreenLanternCorps

Not showing as open on Google Maps (of course).  However Google Maps update the satellite view of the Northern end of the bypass, is shows it completed and painted.  The middle section (which has been around the longest) still shows as mostly dirt and grass.  Go figure...

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4640609,-89.0066771,2863m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Apple Maps has it showing as not opening until March 1st...

Rick Powell

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 20, 2024, 01:19:32 PM
It certainly took them long enough to complete it! It better not take as long to construct the Troy Bypass, whenever that happens.
The latest funding plan shows half the Troy bypass being constructed (roughly the northern half) and apparently having to backtrack to/from US 51 at Troy to utilize it. Would you rather have a poorly-functioning bypass in place or have TDOT pause on the whole thing until they can build it as one piece?

It also appears that the South Fulton interchange/realignment is a higher priority than the Troy bypass at this time.

sprjus4

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 21, 2024, 08:35:51 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 20, 2024, 01:19:32 PM
The latest funding plan shows half the Troy bypass being constructed (roughly the northern half) and apparently having to backtrack to/from US 51 at Troy to utilize it. Would you rather have a poorly-functioning bypass in place or have TDOT pause on the whole thing until they can build it as one piece?

It also appears that the South Fulton interchange/realignment is a higher priority than the Troy bypass at this time.
Look at the Shelby Bypass in North Carolina, I'd rather have part of it be built first just to get it laid out. Complete it as money allows. It doesn't have to function as the mainline I-69 or US-51 immediately if it causes a backtrack.

GreenLanternCorps

GreenLanternCorps

QuoteUnion City resident here...I can confirm the bypass is still not open, for whatever reason. We had a press release back before Thanksgiving, when 51 northbound would reopen. At that time, they said the plan was to have both Northbound 51 and 69 open by Thanksgiving weekend. It has been silence since then, with no explanation. There have been rumors locally about the overpasses "sinking" and TDOT keeping it closed for that reason in the meantime. I have no idea if this is true or not or even what it means for that matter, so can't confirm that.  All lines are painted and the best I can tell all signage is up, it appears ready...but remains closed.

With the reports of it opening today, do you feel like going for a drive?  :D

Chris

OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia both have the exits numbered as 141 - 148. That's 7 miles. However if you measure the bypass on Google Earth it's over 10 miles and maybe closer to 11 miles with all the curves.

The Ghostbuster

Can someone utilize the TN 690 (future Interstate 69) freeway in the near future to confirm the new exit numbers (as well as if they are signposted)? Also, if the new exit numbers are accurate, I would also like to know if they accurately represent the distance from the Mississippi/Tennessee border (duplexed with Interstate 55), assuming Interstate 69 in Tennessee is ever completed as presently proposed. I would also like to see exit numbers installed on existing US 51 northeast of Interstate 155's eastern terminus.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.