News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2016, 07:32:21 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 12, 2016, 11:49:44 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 12, 2016, 10:53:47 PM
I heard today that the newly opened highways will be toll free for awhile? Three months?

Yes, because their opening dates were delayed. They were supposed to open last fall, but that didn't happen. To compensate, the Ontario government said it will not charge toll fees for a few months.
ROAD TRIP.
Hopefully details are posted here so I can schedule my annual Canadian excursion.

Please. Post details. I'll make another journey to Toronto to clinch the thing if I have to.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MisterSG1

I heard today that the newly opened highways will be toll free for awhile? Three months?

Yes, because their opening dates were delayed. They were supposed to open last fall, but that didn't happen. To compensate, the Ontario government said it will not charge toll fees for a few months.
ROAD TRIP.
Hopefully details are posted here so I can schedule my annual Canadian excursion.

Not too long ago you were saying that you would pay a fortune for a M-C Freeway shield, when commenting on our group photo, and that cost wasn't an issue....yet you want to bolt up here to get a free ride on 407 Toll? Sorry, it had to be said :D

Alps

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 13, 2016, 10:53:44 PM

ROAD TRIP.

Not too long ago you were saying that you would pay a fortune for a M-C Freeway shield, when commenting on our group photo, and that cost wasn't an issue....yet you want to bolt up here to get a free ride on 407 Toll? Sorry, it had to be said :D
An M-C shield is an investment. I'll never get anything from that toll. Also, I passed an M-C shield years ago - the last one - and failed to get a photo. Still kicking myself for not turning around for it.

cl94

Breaking news: 407 East opening on Monday

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/06/first-section-of-new-highway-407-set-to-open.html

QuoteToday, Ontario announced that the first section of the new Highway 407 in Durham Region will be open to traffic for morning commuters on Monday, June 20, helping to manage congestion and supporting economic growth in the region.

The highway will be open from Brock Road in Pickering to Harmony Road in Oshawa. Highway 412, which connects Highway 407 and Highway 401, will also open. There will be a toll-free period on the new Highways 407 and 412 until the new year, allowing drivers to travel on these roads free of charge. Following that, tolls will be in place.

You have until the end of December to clinch them toll-free.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

MisterSG1

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 11, 2016, 10:27:46 AM
http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/6713632-walk-run-or-wheel-on-hwy-407-in-whitby/

If anyone wants to clinch a section of freeway before it opens (by walking on it), here is your opportunity!  :-D

Based on the article, my prediction is that the 407 will open on Sunday, 19 June (a day after the event). Still no official date though  :-/

I took advantage of this and did a few legal selfies for the fun of it:

As the road will not be tolled until Jan 1, 2017, all reference to it being a toll road is covered up or removed. Hence the TOLL tab is missing from this shield.

Yes, it was kind of like a street festival, the kind of things that Pearson Airport puts on yearly in the fall where you get to walk on the tarmac.

SignGeek101

407 and 412 are now open.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/06/20/highway-407-extension-opens-in-durham-region/

Time to see how long it takes Google to update the maps  :-D

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 20, 2016, 12:08:54 PM

412 is already showing on Google.

Waze has already been updated and OPP is running a speed trap just east of the Sideline 14 bridge (where the meet photo was). 401 is supposedly quite backed up at 412.

MisterSG1

Quote from: cl94 on June 20, 2016, 02:47:35 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 20, 2016, 12:08:54 PM

412 is already showing on Google.

Waze has already been updated and OPP is running a speed trap just east of the Sideline 14 bridge (where the meet photo was). 401 is supposedly quite backed up at 412.

I drove on the 412 NB and seriously, I counted six OPP cruisers on the road. They really wanted us to know that we can't take advantage of the road....if you didn't see already, this is what I took this morning at around 7:

This is heading NB on 412 and then WB on 407 to Brock Road....I didn't want to be charged for no reason after all.

This is from the eastern terminus heading WB on 407 to SB on 412.

cl94

Nice. Given the frequency at which I have seen OPP running a traffic detail, I didn't realize they even owned 6 radar guns.

MisterSG1

Quote from: cl94 on June 20, 2016, 03:18:55 PM
Nice. Given the frequency at which I have seen OPP running a traffic detail, I didn't realize they even owned 6 radar guns.

Well who knows, there were two groups of two cop cars facing each other in the median, perhaps they weren't doing enforcement but just chatting. I didn't run into any OPP on the 407 though.

Also interesting of note is the temporary scales they can set up, again you know my opinion about weigh stations on toll roads, they are never seen on toll roads in the US. And yes I can understand going up the 412 to beat the Whitby scale beyond Thickson Road on the 401, there doesn't seem to be a purpose in the SB scale on Hwy 412, as truck traffic heading east would potentially have to face another scale, the abforementoned Whitby Scale. Of course I'm assuming a truck uses the 407 and comes down the 412 onto the 401 in my example of potentially facing two consecutive scales.

tdindy88

What's the speed limit along this highway, so I know what to stick close to when I drive along it Saturday.

SignGeek101

With Ontario, all the 400 freeways are (most of the time) 100 km/h. No exception here. But you should know that the general flow of traffic goes about 110-120.

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 20, 2016, 06:59:28 PM
With Ontario, all the 400 freeways are (most of the time) 100 km/h. No exception here. But you should know that the general flow of traffic goes about 110-120.

Correct. There are very few exceptions, notably approaching the US border (drops when nearing Customs), 420 (entire length is 80), 403 in Hamilton (80), and 406 in St. Catharines (80). Traffic often moves at least 120. Just make sure you're not the fastest person and you'll be fine.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 20, 2016, 06:03:12 PM
What's the speed limit along this highway, so I know what to stick close to when I drive along it Saturday.

The best advice I can give to someone driving in a new jurisdiction would be for them to pay attention to those around them.

If you are passing everyone, you're going to fast.

If you are being passed by everyone, you're going to slow.

If you are passing some people and passing others, you're doing it right.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cl94

Just don't go 50 over. OPP reserves the right to impound your car if you do. Granted, that's the equivalent of going 93 mph, but you have been warned.

cbeach40

Hey, how about a highway that almost never gets any attention on here? Hwy 138 planning study is underway:

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2016/06/14/focus-on-highway-138

and waterrrrrrr!

SignGeek101

Quote from: cbeach40 on June 21, 2016, 12:53:40 PM
Hey, how about a highway that almost never gets any attention on here? Hwy 138 planning study is underway:

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2016/06/14/focus-on-highway-138

I haven't thought of that one. That would be a nice project to watch if I still lived in Orleans   :)
I could definitely see the logic in adding passing lanes on that roadway. It appears to be a major two lane highway right now, going to Cornwall and all. I don't know much about 138 though, so I can't really comment.

I heard something about improving County 174 at Trim Rd in Orleans (making Trim Rd an interchange) east to Rockland or something in that nature. AADT in that area apparently is 25 000. Orleans eastwards has grown quite a bit and just recently Trim Rd itself was changed from a two lane country road into a four lane urban boulevard.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 23, 2016, 10:34:28 PM
Some photos of Highway 412:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_410-427_images/Hwy412_images.htm

Might want to update your page.  At the bottom, the last 5 images you show, you list dates in 2010. ;)

AsphaltPlanet

Lol thanks, the link at the bottom of the page takes people to the 410 as well.

aridawn

I traveled the new routes on opening day, at six in the morning beautiful drive with no traffic.   I am wondering why ON-412 has no shields posted in either direction where as 407, has route reassurance shields posted at opening?

vdeane

I assume it's because they accidentally put up 412 ETR shields (since taken down) and need to manufacture the correct ON 412 shields.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MisterSG1

Quote from: vdeane on June 25, 2016, 10:04:26 PM
I assume it's because they accidentally put up 412 ETR shields (since taken down) and need to manufacture the correct ON 412 shields.

Yup, the reassurance shields on the 407 in that area surrounding the 412 interchange oddly just have an "EAST" or "WEST" tab that looks like an ETR tab with no shield at all. I think it was an honest mistake by the contractor, but some are suggesting it's potential foreshadowing on who will get these new roads.....

7/8

Quote from: vdeane on June 25, 2016, 10:04:26 PM

I was wondering why there were no picture of the 412 shields. I'm assuming these will be white-on-blue like the new 407 shields?

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 25, 2016, 10:16:26 PM
I think it was an honest mistake by the contractor, but some are suggesting it's potential foreshadowing on who will get these new roads.....

I certainly hope not! The last thing we need is the 407 ETR taking more of our toll money  :banghead: It's bad enough the provincial government will still be charging toll rates almost as high as the ETR

Transportfan

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 23, 2016, 10:34:28 PM

I notice the control city for 407 EAST sign is covered up until the 407 is completed to 35/115. I can see the tip of the "G" in "Peterborough".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.