News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 71 miscellany thread

Started by vtk, August 25, 2015, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

This thread for general discussion of Interstate 71 in the Great Lakes region, which I've decided includes the portions in Ohio from the Greene—Fayette county line to Cleveland. [rationale] [see also Ohio Valley counterpart]

I'm actually having trouble coming up with something specific to start the thread that doesn't already have its own thread.  Hudson Street overpass replacement in Columbus maybe?  Upcoming widening projects south of I-70?  Those long-distance travel time signs that seem to think traffic moves at 61 MPH in the best case scenario?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

amroad17

At least one of the southbound mileage signs (the one after the US 30 Mansfield interchange) has the correct distance to Cincinnati now (176 miles instead of 181).  The other one south of Belleville has not yet been replaced.  It shows Cincinnati at 169 miles when it should be 164.

Just drove on I-71 to I-76 and from I-271 to Cincinnati last week.  The sections north of Columbus are very smooth and three-laned.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ysuindy

I moved from Youngstown to Indianapolis in January 1997.   Finally nice last month to drive back on a three lane 71 with no construction.

We will need to resurrect this thread at Thanksgiving.  I'm curious if the completion of the third lane will keep 71 northbound from Columbus from being a parking lot on Wednesday night.  After spending a couple of years where it took three hours or so to get from 270 to 76, we learned alternate routes.  Mostly 69 to 469 to 30 to 77 to 76.

vtk

Lots of work in the median now for the widening project from OH 665 to Stringtown Road in Grove City. I imagine once that's done, the need for improvements at the 270 interchange will be felt even more strongly.

Buck87

I was on 71 earlier this month and noticed that there are blue median mile markers every 0.2 miles from Columbus all the way to Cleveland, and in many cases the green ones on the shoulder side were gone. Are they phasing out the green ones?

Buck87

The project to reconfigure access to Stringtown Rd from 71 south and 270 is being pushed up, and could start as soon as next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBskeQK-Xk

vtk

It looks a bit like the project scope stops just shy of fixing the deficient merge of the I-71 SB to I-270 WB ramp where it meets the accelerating NB to WB ramp.

Buck87

Buck87

I don't recall seeing this project mentioned elsewhere, and I figure it fits this thread:

Currently listed under TRAC tier II is this project to add an interchange on I-71 at Big Walnut Road. This would be exit 124, 3 miles north of Polaris Parkway/Gemini Place, 7 miles south of US 36/OH 37. Construction could start in 2023 at the earliest.

https://engineer.co.delaware.oh.us/projects/bigwalnutinterchange/

vtk

I think I noticed that in the MORPC long-range transportation plan

Buck87

Today on I-71 north of Columbus I noticed a new (to me anyway) sign that updates the travel times to US 30 and I believe I-76 (only got a brief glimpse due to a semi.) I think it was north of the Polaris exit, but it may have been north of US 36/OH 37.

vtk

That's been there for a few years. Like other rural travel signs in Ohio, they never seem to indicate a faster time than if one traveled at a constant 62 MPH, even though the speed limits on rural Interstates in Ohio is 70.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

The sign Buck 87 saw was just south of 36/37 (where the weigh station used to be)
There is a corresponding time/mileage sign for I-71 SB, just south of I-76/224, that shows US 30 & US 36.
(and of course the various other time-mileage signs on the other interstates across Ohio)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SkyPesos

Quote from: Buck87 on November 28, 2020, 07:10:36 PM
Today on I-71 north of Columbus I noticed a new (to me anyway) sign that updates the travel times to US 30 and I believe I-76 (only got a brief glimpse due to a semi.) I think it was north of the Polaris exit, but it may have been north of US 36/OH 37.
Not sure where the exact location is, but think I saw one on I-71 N a while ago around the Lebanon area with distances/times to US 35 and I-270 that's similar to what you described. If that's the case, there's probably one on I-71 S in Columbus with the distance/time to I-275 as well.

tdindy88

Yeah, there's a southbound sign with distances to SR 435 (US 35) and I-275 south of Columbus. Personally I like those signs, I wish Indiana could have signs like that for the rural interstates to compliment the ones they have in the urban areas.

Buck87

As far as I know these are just on I-71, though it's been a while since I've been on the sections of 75, 77 or 70 where they'd most likely be located (the areas just outside of major cities heading outbound)

tdindy88

I-75 has one north of I-275 in Cincinnati and south of I-675 in Dayton. I-70 has at least one west of Columbus and maybe a second east of Dayton.

Buck87

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 25, 2020, 07:48:08 PM
I-75 has one north of I-275 in Cincinnati and south of I-675 in Dayton. I-70 has at least one west of Columbus and maybe a second east of Dayton.

Thanks, now that you bring it up the one on 75 south of Dayton does ring a bell. Though with it being as close as it is to Cincinnati and in a corridor with a lot of suburban sprawl I suppose seeing it never struck me as noteworthy, like the one on 71 north of Columbus did.

vtk

I note that these signs appear to always list the next two junctions that are either Interstates or US routes, which might not always be what's most useful. For example, heading west out of Columbus you get times to US 42 and US 40. I suppose arguments could be made for why that's useful, but I think one of the more distant junctions like US 68, I-675, or I-75 would be just as useful.

Buck87

Noticed another one of these signs on I-77 northbound approaching I-70 that was a bit different in its approach. Instead of showing the time time to various route numbers, it showed the time to the control cities for the 3 directions of the upcoming interchange (Cleveland, Columbus and Wheeling.)

SkyPesos

Quote from: Buck87 on January 15, 2021, 09:40:54 AM
Noticed another one of these signs on I-77 northbound approaching I-70 that was a bit different in its approach. Instead of showing the time time to various route numbers, it showed the time to the control cities for the 3 directions of the upcoming interchange (Cleveland, Columbus and Wheeling.)
Unrelated note, but I'm probably the only one annoyed by this: Why is Wheeling the primary control of I-70 east from Columbus eastward instead of Pittsburgh? Like I know I-70 doesn't go through Pittsburgh's downtown, but it does enter the metro area, which imo is good enough for a control city if the city is well-known to most travelers. Actually, I don't think Pittsburgh is signed at all on I-70 east; after Wheeling, it's Washington, PA. It is used as a control westbound though.

Rothman

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 15, 2021, 12:11:11 PM
Unrelated note, but I'm probably the only one annoyed by this: Why is Wheeling the primary control of I-70 east from Columbus eastward instead of Pittsburgh? Like I know I-70 doesn't go through Pittsburgh's downtown, but it does enter the metro area, which imo is good enough for a control city if the city is well-known to most travelers. Actually, I don't think Pittsburgh is signed at all on I-70 east; after Wheeling, it's Washington, PA. It is used as a control westbound though.
I-70 doesn't go to Pittsburgh.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mr_Northside

Actually, I don't think Pittsburgh is signed at all on I-70 east; after Wheeling, it's Washington, PA. It is used as a control westbound though.

I could have swore that I saw it on at least one overhead (possibly with 2 control cities on it) somewhere in Ohio.  However, I haven't been on I-70 in Ohio since 2009, so (A) I may be totally wrong to begin with, and (B) even if I am right, it may have been removed/replaced with a sign that doesn't have it.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

amroad17

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 15, 2021, 03:58:13 PM
Actually, I don't think Pittsburgh is signed at all on I-70 east; after Wheeling, it's Washington, PA. It is used as a control westbound though.

I could have swore that I saw it on at least one overhead (possibly with 2 control cities on it) somewhere in Ohio.  However, I haven't been on I-70 in Ohio since 2009, so (A) I may be totally wrong to begin with, and (B) even if I am right, it may have been removed/replaced with a sign that doesn't have it.
Yes, at Exit 129 (OH 79-Buckeye Lake interchange) on I-70 East...

https://goo.gl/maps/Cjn9grtVr9VUSZkJ7

The only mention of Pittsburgh along I-70 in Ohio.

amroad17

The reason it is signed westbound--and only on the PA Turnpike--is because of that.  Once I-70 leaves the Turnpike, it is Washington, PA, Wheeling, and then Columbus.  Wheeling is fine as a control point on I-70 East from Columbus.

Also, I went on Google Maps on checked out what I will call the "variable time signs" there south of Cambridge (just north of the Byesville interchange).  The sign has Canton, Wheeling, and Columbus listed on it.  There is also one at the US 22 overpass southbound with Marietta (47 mi/46 min), Wheeling (52 mi/47 min), and Columbus (85 mi/79 min) listed.  I have also noticed that the mileage sign on US 22 for the SB I-77 ramp has Marietta 48 and Columbus 84.  I tend to believe that the newer sign has the more accurate mileage.

Now returning to I-71.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.