News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

1st gap of LBJ/I-635 express toll lanes is open

Started by Stephane Dumas, December 23, 2013, 02:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

txstateends

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20131220-editorial-the-new-lbj-adventure.ece

From the EB service road east of Preston, I got a couple of phone-camera snaps over the weekend.  I may try some other time with my better camera for some more.

East of Preston, along the EB service road, there are 2 on-ramps.  One is for the access to the tolled HOV lanes, the other one (down the hill out of camera view) is the ramp to the regular/free I-635 lanes.  The massive overhead sign details what the toll will be for you at the moment you see the sign.  It could be cheaper earlier or later in the day, or more expensive.  The "X" for the US 75 HOV ramp probably means that the ramp is closed or you won't be charged there.  The logo tabbed above the top left corner of the white sign is for LBJ TEXpress (yes, there's actually a logo for it).  I have to wonder how many times that white sign is gonna get scraped by tall trucks.

These are the 2 styles of I-635 shields for the tolled HOV section.  The first is on a post; the other on the overhead BGS.  The BGS one has a different font (squished Clearview?  I can't tell) than the first one.  They both have the words "EXPRESS" on top and "TOLL" on the bottom (with the LBJ TEXpress logo beside the word).  Sorry for the grainy look, it was early morning after work, not a sunny-overhead moment.

A new-style street blade sign along LBJ, these are 1-sided.  Nothing on the other side but plain silver with the attachment hardware.  All the side-streets between Preston and Hillcrest now have this style.  Meanwhile, in the distance, the mast lighting style can be seen.  All the poles bend with a simple curve.  The taller ones are along the new main lanes of I-635, while the shorter ones (like the one below right of the stop sign) are along the new tolled HOV depressed middle lanes.

This is a new concept for the Dallas area, a service road bypass.  I don't know how many of these there will be when the LBJ Express project is done, but this is one of the first completed.  Basically, with one of these, you have your choice of the traditional service road intersection with the cross-street, *or*, going over the cross-street with the bypass bridge above.  Your choice comes before the cross-street intersection, then the 2 parts merge back after the cross-street.  I would have taken the service road bypass but I didn't realize it was there and open before I was at Park Central Dr. (the intersection in the picture)
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

NE2

Quote from: txstateends on December 23, 2013, 08:26:44 PM
This is a new concept for the Dallas area, a service road bypass.
There's arguably been a pair for a while on I-820 at SH 199. They serve a dual purpose of a service road bypass and a C/D road.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

These are the 2 styles of I-635 shields for the tolled HOV section.  The first is on a post; the other on the overhead BGS.  The BGS one has a different font (squished Clearview?  I can't tell)
Yes it is.

Brian556

QuoteThis is a new concept for the Dallas area, a service road bypass.

There's one at I-35E / SH 121 BUSINESS in Lewisville.

As for the street name blades, in Denton, when a TxDOT contractor rebuilt LOOP 288, they posted this style, but with orange blades. They were then removed and replaced with the standard City of Denton blades.

txstateends

Quote from: NE2 on December 23, 2013, 09:01:23 PM
This is a new concept for the Dallas area, a service road bypass.
There's arguably been a pair for a while on I-820 at SH 199. They serve a dual purpose of a service road bypass and a C/D road.

Quote from: Brian556 on December 23, 2013, 11:25:47 PM
QuoteThis is a new concept for the Dallas area, a service road bypass.

There's one at I-35E / SH 121 BUSINESS in Lewisville.

As for the street name blades, in Denton, when a TxDOT contractor rebuilt LOOP 288, they posted this style, but with orange blades. They were then removed and replaced with the standard City of Denton blades.

Sounds like I'm working too much (yeah, right) and not getting my roadfan on enough these days....
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Road Hog

Plenty of service road bypasses on the I-30 reconstruction in Texarkana too. Lord help you if you go one exit too far and need to double back. A-maze-ing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.