News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Central Tri-State Tollway Rebuild (95th Street to Balmoral Ave)

Started by I-39, January 03, 2015, 03:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

I guess ISTHA just loves to keep its roads under construction. They are not even done with the Jane Addams rebuild and widen and they are already starting to develop a master plan for reconstruction of the central Tri-State Tollway from 95th Street to Balmoral Avenue/I-90.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/4240624/20141210_Central+Tri-State+Master+Plan+Vision

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-tollway-master-plan-met-20141210-story.html

It appears that this segment will either

1. Be rebuilt with no additional lanes, but with a wider inside shoulder

2. Be rebuilt and a fifth lane added

3. Both of the above

Frankly, this is a big undertaking. There really isn't a lot of ROW to add another lane, does it really need it? Every crossroad bridge will have to be rebuilt and both Oases will more than likely have to be torn down and rebuilt because there simply isn't enough room to add more lanes (or wider shoulders) under them.

All I hope is that they fix the Hillside Strangler as part of this........

What do you guys think?

Revive 755

Given that the I-90/Jane Adams rebuild did not address the deficient cloverleaf at I-290/IL 53, I wouldn't hold my breath for this project to fix either I-294 at I-290 or the interchange at I-55.

Is ISTHA planning to reject the IL 53 extension, so they are looking at this project instead to keep themselves occupied once the I-90 rebuild wraps up?

SSOWorld

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 03, 2015, 04:36:11 PM
Given that the I-90/Jane Adams rebuild did not address the deficient cloverleaf at I-290/IL 53, I wouldn't hold my breath for this project to fix either I-294 at I-290 or the interchange at I-55.

Is ISTHA planning to reject the IL 53 extension, so they are looking at this project instead to keep themselves occupied once the I-90 rebuild wraps up?
The I-90/I-290 Interchange relies on IDOT cooperation - guess how much that happens?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

I don't think they will give up on IL 53 if anything I think its moving faster. Its mostly ISTHA and Lake county No IDiOT involvement except handover of the existing extension (which would allow ISTHA the ability to fix that interchange)
ISTHA has had this as a long term plan
CMAP calls for widening the IKE and Stevenson with a HOT lane Ike Will need Major reconstruction but 55 can use the shoulder I hope the projects are handed over to ISTHA so they are done right. If we get real lucky 88 can go downtown.

Joe The Dragon

ChiMilNet

IMO, a reconstruction is going to be needed regardless as parts of the Central Tri-State still has pavement dating back to the original 1958 construction. If it is all going to need to be rebuilt, then why not go all out and ensure that there is sufficient capacity? Often, Southbound portions of the Northern Tri-State north of O'Hare backup due to congestion along the Central portion. This could very likely alleviate some of that congestion in the long run (assuming they opt for the additional lane).

Other than some spots with somewhat limited ROW, the biggest concerns would involve the Oasis's at Hinsdale and O'Hare as these would require major modification or removal. Personally, I would hope they don't simply remove them like they did the Des Plaines Oasis on The Adams Tollway, though one would have to be realistic and realize that they would at the very least need to be rebuilt to accommodate a wider roadway below (which is a cost concern).

My hope is that the plans would involve reconfiguration of some of the interchanges much like what is being done with the Adams reconstruction. The ramps from the Tri-State at the Hillside strangler especially stand out (though, as pointed out, this would require some actual cooperation from IDOT, and we saw how long it's taken just to get part of the I-57 interchange opened finally).

Joe The Dragon

I have some Ideas for the I-294 / I-290 / I-88 area and may want to take a other look at it.

Stratuscaster

Isn't the real problem with the "Hillside Strangler" the fact that there is a lane-drop on I-290 east of I-294?

Rebuilding that section of I-294 won't do a thing to help that.

I was stuck in the southbound I-294 backup a couple of weeks ago. I never figured out where the actual cause of the backup was.

Part of this reconstruction would need to accommodate I-490 I would imagine.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 04, 2015, 11:21:32 PM

Now then you mention it, I guess they might want to use I-490 as the main thoughtfare for travellers who goes from I-294 to I-90 to go to Rockford, Madison and Minneapolis to avoid the I-90/190/290 interchange.

Another thing then I suggest is the set-up of I-294 and I-290 between IL-64/US-20 and I-88.  They could reconfigurate it by having I-294 being the outer lanes(express) and I-290 being the inner lanes(local) http://goo.gl/maps/dY9GR  The set-up would be more or less similar to the short gap of US-9 and GSP. http://goo.gl/maps/QhleU

ET21

Problem with the southbound always being backed up is mainly due to 3 things

-Ramp from I-290 east to I-294 south, which becomes the I-88 ramp. This causes a clusterfuck as people dart left and right.
-Ramp from I-88 East to I-294 south, mainly due to volume. This then backs up to the original backup at the HS.
-Occasionally, ramp from I-294 south to I-55 due to I-55 being backed up in one or both directions. This leads to brake taps on and off till that ramp.

Combine all these together, plus your normal on and off ramp traffic, and there's your backup that goes from Willow Road all the way to I-55.

I assume this master plan will be handling the Hillside problem  :rolleyes: . If anything, I would take a 4th lane being added to I-55 first than another I-294 overhaul
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Isn't the real problem with the "Hillside Strangler" the fact that there is a lane-drop on I-290 east of I-294?

Rebuilding that section of I-294 won't do a thing to help that.

I was stuck in the southbound I-294 backup a couple of weeks ago. I never figured out where the actual cause of the backup was.

There are other issues with the I-294/I-88/I-290 interchange.

ideas hear https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10015.msg236033#msg236033

Revive 755

That is one of the remaining problems.  I usually see two other problems:

1) As mentioned by ET21, the ramp from I-290 EB to I-294 SB frequently backs up.

2) The loop ramp from I-294 NB to WB I-290 frequently backs up - it has had a half mile long queue at noon on weekdays.

Quote from: Part of this reconstruction would need to accommodate I-490 I would imagine.

I was under the impression that as part of the I-490 work SB I-294 was going to gain a fifth lane each way from the I-490 merge to IL 64 (map).

Quote from: ET21If anything, I would take a 4th lane being added to I-55 first than another I-294 overhaul

Unfortunately, the only additional lanes I-55 will be getting will be either HOV or HOT lanes - see this link.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 05, 2015, 10:17:37 PM

1) As mentioned by ET21, the ramp from I-290 EB to I-294 SB frequently backs up.

2) The loop ramp from I-294 NB to WB I-290 frequently backs up - it has had a half mile long queue at noon on weekdays.

Quote from: Part of this reconstruction would need to accommodate I-490 I would imagine.

I was under the impression that as part of the I-490 work SB I-294 was going to gain a fifth lane each way from the I-490 merge to IL 64 (map).

No looks to be 5 one way till next exit?? and 4 the other way with a long exit lane. must be old plan but the time frame is the same as this rebuild.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 05, 2015, 10:17:37 PM

Quote from: ET21If anything, I would take a 4th lane being added to I-55 first than another I-294 overhaul

Unfortunately, the only additional lanes I-55 will be getting will be either HOV or HOT lanes - see this link.

also they need to add an aux lane from I-88 ramps to us-34 and to make room they to put a spui or maybe an DDI at us-34.

Henry

The fifth lane would be a welcome addition, but I agree the Hillside issue needs to be addressed first, and fast.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

I-39

So a planning commission has now been established to explore options for the central Tri-State rebuild.

How in the heck are they going to maintain four lanes of traffic during reconstruction within that small ROW?

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on July 28, 2015, 08:02:41 PM
So a planning commission has now been established to explore options for the central Tri-State rebuild.

How in the heck are they going to maintain four lanes of traffic during reconstruction within that small ROW?

See what they are doing with I-90. They've narrowed the space allotted to traffic like crazy, and yet they still kept three lanes each way. Though the big trick is going to be at the long bridges.

ET21

I envision single lane only during the night like back with the re-surfacing. After seeing the midnight Dark Knight Rises, I had the misfortune of being stuck between 88 and Touhy for an hour and a half.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

Quote from: ET21 on July 29, 2015, 12:01:06 PM

I envision single lane only during the night like back with the re-surfacing. After seeing the midnight Dark Knight Rises, I had the misfortune of being stuck between 88 and Touhy for an hour and a half.

^^^
Imagine that during rushhour!  :wow:

Seriously, the Tollway has never widened a road to more than four lanes in each direction, it will be interesting to see how they maintain four lanes, especially going over the bridges. The Hinsdale and O'Hare Oases will clearly have to be removed or significantly rebuilt and lengthened in order to accommodate this project.

At this point, I think they should just go all in and rebuild and widen to five lanes in each direction, but have the fifth lane be a HOV lane. Also, widen the shoulders and deploy Active Traffic Management and fix the Hillside Stanger.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on July 29, 2015, 07:28:22 PM

^^^

Seriously, the Tollway has never widened a road to more than four lanes in each direction, it will be interesting to see how they maintain four lanes, especially going over the bridges. The Hinsdale and O'Hare Oases will clearly have to be removed or significantly rebuilt and lengthened in order to accommodate this project.

At this point, I think they should just go all in and rebuild and widen to five lanes in each direction, but have the fifth lane be a HOV lane. Also, widen the shoulders and deploy Active Traffic Management and fix the Hillside Stanger.
HOV?? that road has lot's of trucks on it and one more GP lane + aux are needed. Also interchange work is needed bad.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 29, 2015, 08:40:16 PM

^^^

HOV?? that road has lot's of trucks on it and one more GP lane + aux are needed. Also interchange work is needed bad.

I agree with Joe. I would add in enough shoulder room for an HOV lane in the future if it is needed.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

johndoe780

^^^

I disagree. If ITHSA is making the tri state 10 lanes, have the 3 outer lanes become express lanes and then have the inner 2 lanes become local/truck lanes similar to 90/94.

Big John

Quote from: johndoe780 on July 29, 2015, 08:54:23 PM

I disagree. If ITHSA is making the tri state 10 lanes, have the 3 outer lanes become express lanes and then have the inner 2 lanes become local/truck lanes similar to 90/94.
or the other way around as the inside lanes on the Chicago expressways are the express lanes?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Big John on July 29, 2015, 08:59:33 PM

or the other way around as the inside lanes on the Chicago expressways are the express lanes?

If you think 2 local lanes in each direction is enough things could get ugly with that configuration.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Big John

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 29, 2015, 09:02:06 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 29, 2015, 08:59:33 PM

If you think 2 local lanes in each direction is enough things could get ugly with that configuration.
Sorry, I meant the (2) inside lanes being express and (3) outer lanes being local.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.