News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cleveland area roadgeeking

Started by mrsman, August 02, 2015, 02:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Hello all,

I live in the DC suburbs and we'll be taking a trip to Pittsburgh and Cleveland at the end of the month.  I wonder if anyone knows of any areas that would be of interest to a roadgeek in either city or along the way.  I know about Breezewood, but I'd like to hear any recommendations of some other interesting highway features (on freeways or on streets) in either area or along the way.

Thanks.

JREwing78

Pittsburgh and Cleveland both have a ton of weird and interesting highway design features worth scoping out. I'll post some less-obvious ones here:

- There's a lot of covered bridges in and around Ashtabula, OH.

- OH 11 has a rest area between Warren and Ashtabula that involves an at-grade crossing of SBD traffic - the rest of the highway is interstate-compatible freeway.

- US-422 has an old, narrow twinned section between Parkman and Welshfield, west of Warren. One side is the original roadbed; the twinned side has flatter transitions between upgrades and downgrades. It's mildly amazing it hasn't been converted to a wider 2-lane section.

- Alliance and Salem, OH feature partial US 62 bypasses that were never finshed or connected to each other.

- I-68 through western Maryland and eastern West Virginia is worth traveling just for the ridiculous hill climbs and the attendant scenery.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 02, 2015, 09:09:12 PM
Pittsburgh and Cleveland both have a ton of weird and interesting highway design features worth scoping out.

I have to agree with you. Since Pittsburgh is so hilly it is very interesting to see especially from I-376 and I-279. You'll be able to go in the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and see the very interesting Penn Lincoln Parkway. You can see an overpass near it with a net to catch falling concrete. I-279 and I-376 have some very high arch overpasses that are interesting to see.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

The Ghostbuster

Have they begun converting the State Highway 2 portion of the Cleveland Memorial Shoreway into a 35 MPH boulevard?

Mr_Northside

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 02, 2015, 09:22:07 PM
You can see an overpass near it with a net to catch falling concrete.

Not just a net, but a whole other overpass dedicated to catching debris.  However, that will all be gone right after Christmas this year when it's all demolished to build a new bridge in it's place (an arch bridge again, but, last plans I saw, one made out of steel).
Of course, none of this is that close to Cleveland.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.