News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Akron Area BGS's

Started by HighwayMaster, June 12, 2011, 11:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayMaster

I-76 east of downtown is finally getting its signs replaced. The new signs are complete with the new OH-241/Innovation Way designations near Goodyear.

In other places where new signs have not been put up, ODOT has removed/will be removing the sign lights on older BGS's on these roads:

• I-76/I-77 in downtown
  • The Kenmore leg of I-76
  • I-76 in Barberton
  • All of I-277
  • I-77 south into Canton (and in Canton as well)
  • OH-59 Innerbelt

I should also mention that on 277 and 77 to Canton, some of the removed lights are on button-copies!
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

The Premier

I-76 East of the Central Interchange are having their signs replaced as well. Exits 24 and 25A-B signs (give or take) have already been replaced.

While ODOT is at replacing signs, they should go after any remaining button-copy signs on SR 8 also, and the issue over font types be damned. :nod:
Alex P. Dent

Alps

Quote from: The Premier on June 12, 2011, 01:03:38 PM

While ODOT is at replacing signs, they should go after any remaining button-copy signs on SR 8 also, and the issue over font types be damned. :nod:
Now I understand why Jake hates you.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Steve on June 12, 2011, 09:55:37 PM

Now I understand why Jake hates you.

Jake doesn't care for Highway Master, not 'The Premier' (Norton cross up last week withstanding).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

I like The Premier just fine; I just enjoy ribbing at the concepts of social justice in his fictional government.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: HighwayMaster on June 12, 2011, 11:44:37 AM
I-76 east of downtown is finally getting its signs replaced. The new signs are complete with the new OH-241/Innovation Way designations near Goodyear.

What do you mean finally about the stretch east of the Central Interchange?
The stretch from the Central Interchange (Exit 23) to the Gilchrist/Mogadore Rd. Interchange (Exit 27) was rebuilt in the latter half of the 90's and early 2000's.  Nearly all the '60s and '70s button copy was replaced replaced then.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

The Premier

Quote from: mightyace on June 13, 2011, 06:41:32 PM
Quote from: HighwayMaster on June 12, 2011, 11:44:37 AM

What do you mean finally about the stretch east of the Central Interchange?
The stretch from the Central Interchange (Exit 23) to the Gilchrist/Mogadore Rd. Interchange (Exit 27) was rebuilt in the latter half of the 90's and early 2000's.  Nearly all the '60s and '70s button copy was replaced replaced then.

True, but the issue in this case isn't the reconstruction of I-76 from the Central Interchange to Gilcrest; rather, it is signs that are being replaced. The 1960's and 70's button copy was replaced by the 1990s and early 2000's button copy.

The question is how long does a BGS sign will stay out on the roads on average before they have to be replaced?
Alex P. Dent

mightyace

^^^

I'm with Jake on this one, if the signs are still serviceable, why replace them?  And, as of January 1st, 2011, they were IMHO when I last saw them with my own eyes.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: mightyace on June 13, 2011, 08:18:54 PM
^^^

I'm with Jake on this one, if the signs are still serviceable, why replace them?  And, as of January 1st, 2011, they were IMHO when I last saw them with my own eyes.

If ODOT had a process for signage replacement, its been lost in the last 5-6 years. Even here in Central Ohio, overhead signs that don't need replacing (I-70 east, I-71 (far) north) are changed, while 50 year old signs on 270 (southside) and 30 year old signs (315) still stand, and look used up.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

thenetwork

^^^ I agree on that point.  I-76 East of downtown Akron is on it's 3rd generation of BGSs since the Mid 70's while SR-8 through Cuyahoga Falls is still on it's first!  Same with I-77 south of the Central Interchange.

I used to love it when I rode with my dad east of Akron on I-76 when I was a kid -- I remember those old BGS on I-76 so vividly and fondly, since they were flat-backed (no ribbing, or whatever the official term of those are), rounded corners, deep green in color on the front, and quite a few signs had evidence of "scraped-off" shields (Wasn't it SR-536 by the Mogadore/E. Market Exit???).  ODOT must have used that section of I-76 -- nee I-80S -- as a test section for BGS.

And to top that off?  The smell of the Goodyear, General Tire, and Uniroyal (??) Plants that were right next to the freeway.  There is something to be said about the smell of a fresh, new tire!  :love:

The Premier

Quote from: thenetwork on June 14, 2011, 10:32:13 PM
^^^ I agree on that point.  I-76 East of downtown Akron is on it's 3rd generation of BGSs since the Mid 70's while SR-8 through Cuyahoga Falls is still on it's first!  Same with I-77 south of the Central Interchange.

Not anymore. :no:
I-77 south of the Central Interchange had their signs replaced with Clearview sometime last year. A bulk of SR 8's signs were also replaced, especially from SR 59 to the Central Interchange when that part got reconstructed.
Alex P. Dent

mightyace

^^^

Are you talking about the Perkins Street exit to goes to/from the Innerbelt or Front Street/Stow exit in Cuyahoga Falls?

HighwayMaster

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 13, 2011, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: mightyace on June 13, 2011, 08:18:54 PM
^^^

I'm with Jake on this one, if the signs are still serviceable, why replace them?  And, as of January 1st, 2011, they were IMHO when I last saw them with my own eyes.

If ODOT had a process for signage replacement, its been lost in the last 5-6 years. Even here in Central Ohio, overhead signs that don't need replacing (I-70 east, I-71 (far) north) are changed, while 50 year old signs on 270 (southside) and 30 year old signs (315) still stand, and look used up.

The button-copy on I-71 in Morrow County had to go IMO, but the Delaware County signs could have stayed longer. (The signs at Exit 131 were not even button-copy!)

I-76 East of the Central Interchange are having their signs replaced as well. Exits 24 and 25A-B signs (give or take) have already been replaced.

I think this is going to happen. These signs don't have exit numbers.

thenetwork

Quote from: The Premier on June 15, 2011, 07:26:53 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 14, 2011, 10:32:13 PM
I-76 East of downtown Akron is on it's 3rd generation of BGSs since the Mid 70's while SR-8 through Cuyahoga Falls is still on it's first!  Same with I-77 south of the Central Interchange.

Not anymore. :no:
I-77 south of the Central Interchange had their signs replaced with Clearview sometime last year.

Apologies for my muddied translation...

The stretch of I-77 South of the Central Interchange is on (at least) it's 3rd generation in less than 30 years.  The button-copy signs replaced by the Clearview signs between I-76 & I-277 came out in the late-80s, while the button copy signs replaced by Clearview south of I-277 were only late 90's if that.

The Premier

Quote from: mightyace on June 15, 2011, 08:11:45 PM
^^^

Are you talking about the Perkins Street exit to goes to/from the Innerbelt or Front Street/Stow exit in Cuyahoga Falls?

The one on Perkins Street.
Alex P. Dent

HighwayMaster

UPDATE: ODOT has begun a sign replacement on I-277/US-224. Hopefully these signs will be replaced:

HighwayMaster

UPDATE: The new signs on I-277 aren't Clearview!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.