News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pairs of roads that appear to be concurrencies, but actually aren't

Started by KCRoadFan, June 29, 2023, 10:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was inspired to make this post by a road I've been on many times over the years, in a city I'm familiar with.

At first glance, when you look at a map of Minneapolis, it appears that I-94 is concurrent with 35W for about a mile on the east side of downtown before the latter road swings north to cross the river - however, when you actually drive through the area, you realize that 35W isn't concurrent with 94 at all - rather, the two highways remain in separate rights-of-way and just happen to run parallel for a short stretch.

Throughout the country, what are some other examples of "pseudo-concurrencies" - that is to say, pairs of highways that happen to parallel one another closely enough such that, on a map of the area, they appear as though they overlap, but don't actually do so in reality?

Rothman

See NY 34 and NY 31 in Weedsport, NY, that run a block away from each other.  NYSDOT maintains the blocks in between.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

I-295 and the NJ Turnpike, especially in areas of Camden & Burlington County.  Many not-to-scale maps will only show one or the other.

Max Rockatansky

Florida's Turnpike and I-95 north of Palm Beach Gardens to the St. Lucie River.

Henry

I have two great examples from the western suburbs of Chicago: It seems that I-290 and I-294 between IL 64/North Avenue and the eastern end of I-88 would be concurrent with each other, but each maintains its own ROW throughout, with the former being a free route and the latter a toll road. Also, I-88 and I-355, while both being toll roads, do not use the exact alignment, but also maintain their separate paths for the half-mile or so of their un-concurrency, which is bookended by ramps between each other.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MATraveler128

I-91 and CT 15 come very close in Meriden and Hartford.
Formerly BlueOutback7

Lowest untraveled number: 96

Big John

ran4sh

I-85 at least twice. Once with I-285 south of Atlanta. And again with I-73 south of Greensboro.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

1995hoo

Quote from: Big John on June 30, 2023, 12:56:27 AM
similar thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32851

I'll just quote what I mentioned there because the same place came to mind when I read this thread:

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 08, 2023, 10:32:19 AM
It's really a slightly convoluted interchange more than a case of two freeways running parallel to each other, but the odd layout of I-85 and US-74 near Kings Mountain, North Carolina, comes to mind. Eastbound US-74 runs between I-85's two carriageways, while southbound I-85 runs between US-74's two carriageways.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

bassoon1986

thspfc

Just south of the OP example, I-35W runs in the median of MN-62.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.