Pairs of roads that appear to be concurrencies, but actually aren't

Started by KCRoadFan, June 29, 2023, 10:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was inspired to make this post by a road I've been on many times over the years, in a city I'm familiar with.

At first glance, when you look at a map of Minneapolis, it appears that I-94 is concurrent with 35W for about a mile on the east side of downtown before the latter road swings north to cross the river - however, when you actually drive through the area, you realize that 35W isn't concurrent with 94 at all - rather, the two highways remain in separate rights-of-way and just happen to run parallel for a short stretch.

Throughout the country, what are some other examples of "pseudo-concurrencies" - that is to say, pairs of highways that happen to parallel one another closely enough such that, on a map of the area, they appear as though they overlap, but don't actually do so in reality?

Rothman

See NY 34 and NY 31 in Weedsport, NY, that run a block away from each other.  NYSDOT maintains the blocks in between.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

I-295 and the NJ Turnpike, especially in areas of Camden & Burlington County.  Many not-to-scale maps will only show one or the other.

Max Rockatansky

Florida's Turnpike and I-95 north of Palm Beach Gardens to the St. Lucie River.

Henry

I have two great examples from the western suburbs of Chicago: It seems that I-290 and I-294 between IL 64/North Avenue and the eastern end of I-88 would be concurrent with each other, but each maintains its own ROW throughout, with the former being a free route and the latter a toll road. Also, I-88 and I-355, while both being toll roads, do not use the exact alignment, but also maintain their separate paths for the half-mile or so of their un-concurrency, which is bookended by ramps between each other.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MATraveler128

I-91 and CT 15 come very close in Meriden and Hartford.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Big John

ran4sh

I-85 at least twice. Once with I-285 south of Atlanta. And again with I-73 south of Greensboro.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

1995hoo

Quote from: Big John on June 30, 2023, 12:56:27 AM
similar thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32851

I'll just quote what I mentioned there because the same place came to mind when I read this thread:

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 08, 2023, 10:32:19 AM
It's really a slightly convoluted interchange more than a case of two freeways running parallel to each other, but the odd layout of I-85 and US-74 near Kings Mountain, North Carolina, comes to mind. Eastbound US-74 runs between I-85's two carriageways, while southbound I-85 runs between US-74's two carriageways.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

bassoon1986

thspfc

Just south of the OP example, I-35W runs in the median of MN-62.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.