News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Historical SHS books

Started by rmooty77, December 22, 2023, 10:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmooty77

Hey y'all,
I was wondering if anyone has copies of any old/historical SHS books?  I have a copy of the 1979 version with the Revision 2 signs included.  If anyone is interested, I have scanned the book and would be willing to share it.  I have been told by an authoritative source that there was an SHS as early as 1948 and an US and meteric version in the mid 1960's.  I am fascinated by the old MUTCDs that Dr. Hawkins posted on his website.  I would love to see some of the old SHS books too!

Thanks!

froggie

Presuming that SHS = Standard Highway Signs?

jpdailey14

I was able to find on Google Books the 1948, 1961, and 1971 versions of SHS (they appear to be scans from various university libraries) as well as the Standard Alphabets.

I think the 1978/1979 SHS is there also, but I am unsure as to its completeness.

Quote from: rmooty77 on December 22, 2023, 10:18:16 AM
Hey y'all,
I was wondering if anyone has copies of any old/historical SHS books?  I have a copy of the 1979 version with the Revision 2 signs included.  If anyone is interested, I have scanned the book and would be willing to share it.  I have been told by an authoritative source that there was an SHS as early as 1948 and an US and meteric version in the mid 1960's.  I am fascinated by the old MUTCDs that Dr. Hawkins posted on his website.  I would love to see some of the old SHS books too!

Thanks!

rmooty77

Awesome, thanks for pointing me in that direction.  I was just doing a standard Google search and got nothing.  Learn something new daily!

stanwoods

Thanks for such info! I was also looking for such books and used Google to find nothing. Now I know where to look for. I like reading and always try to look for something new and interesting, and historical books have always been my favourite. I have a literature course at my university, and there we read and discussed different books; maybe one day it will be an SHS book. And also, there are tasks to write a paper on a book, and with that https://gradesfixer.com/lit/ helps me a lot because there are provided with a lot of useful and informative examples o literature, and it always inspires me. If someone here is a student, too, that site is a good one to use.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.