What's the funniest road-related news article you know of?

Started by AABattery, January 24, 2024, 12:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AABattery

I just came up with the idea while thinking about a news article I thought was kinda funny, but basically, what's the funniest road-related article you've come across?

I'll start with this one, which is from a newspaper that covers the county my dad grew up in. Who doesn't have thoughts about the condition of secondary roads in Dickenson County after all?
- AABattery :)

Counties Visited

Traveled Routes

Avatar is my most recent clinched route

kurumi

From the Hartford Courant, December 30, 1957, a headline that wouldn't get past the editor today:

There's another photocopied article from the Hartford Times, date unknown, somewhere in a folder, where Farmington citizens were "aroused" by a new CT 10 freeway proposal.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

mgk920

There was an article that I linked to a few years ago in a forvm in here about the I-69 project in Indiana regarding the concerns that were brought up about it from a nudist resort that is located just off of its ROW.

Mike

CovalenceSTU

Quote from: kurumi on January 24, 2024, 01:02:42 AM
From the Hartford Courant, December 30, 1957, a headline that wouldn't get past the editor today:

An erection that takes the load off because of a boner? :bigass: It was slang for "mistake" but that was already changing by the 50's, so there's a good chance the writer was chuckling to themselves.

AABattery

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 24, 2024, 12:19:28 AM
This has article has a comedy of errors starting with falsely assuming I-40 will be extended:

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news/1-5-billion-centennial-corridor-freeway-project-mere-days-from-completion/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3ZbrsMc1WmMi8cPJSFxxyqe4-QMnUbaH_XK9IcI6qwXADd1GplugwvRP4_aem_AY3-2lSLurHS6goj4LMZUDZvU_Rm_7lfvw0eFegGHi7C2ZYof5xCrAG-YrTe05JWkHU

"The Centennial Corridor has not only simplified the trip from, say, Union Avenue to Allen Road, it has changed the face and, in a sense, the culture of Bakersfield."

How did that writing style get past an editor (if it was even proofread in the first place)? I've never seen a news article where someone put something like "From, Say, xyz to zyx"

"The nation's interstate freeway system is now a step closer to a goal that dates back to the Eisenhower administration: Linking the Atlantic coast of North Carolina to the Pacific Ocean by way of Interstate 40. As it stands, the 2,500-mile route terminates at Barstow, or at least it used to. Now it ends right here."

Last I checked the western terminus is still Barstow @ I-15. At least they got the 2500 mile part right  :clap:
- AABattery :)

Counties Visited

Traveled Routes

Avatar is my most recent clinched route

gonealookin

Probably qualifies as "morbid humor", but this piece in Slate about the New York Times' use of "bus plunge" fillers at the bottom of columns has always been one of my favorites.

Quote...the elements of a definitive bus-plunge story: Plunge should appear in the hed; the piece should be only a couple of sentences long; and it should "include the number feared dead, the identity of any group on board"—a soccer team, church choir, or students—"as well as the distance of the plunge from the capital city." The words ravine or gorge should appear.

QuoteAs an example of the genre, it's hard to beat this 30-word gem I culled from the March 5, 1959, edition of the Times:

15 Africans Die in Bus Plunge
MATTAIELE, Union of South Africa, March 5 (Reuters)—Fifteen Africans were killed and thirty others were injured today when a bus careened out of control off a cliff near the Mabusa mission station, about fifteen miles from here.

Henry

It's this quote that really got me:

Quote from: AABattery on January 24, 2024, 04:44:14 PM
"The nation's interstate freeway system is now a step closer to a goal that dates back to the Eisenhower administration: Linking the Atlantic coast of North Carolina to the Pacific Ocean by way of Interstate 40. As it stands, the 2,500-mile route terminates at Barstow, or at least it used to. Now it ends right here."
I-40 still terminates at Barstow, and except in the minds of Fictional Highways, it will never go any further than that.

It's like saying I-70 once ended at Cove Fort, and now ends in Sacramento (with the US 50 freeway connection to Lake Tahoe). Sorry, it still ends at Cove Fort, and will end there for eternity.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.