News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 06, 2021, 10:39:56 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 06, 2021, 08:01:14 PM
The one thing that is confusing is that New York is the control for I-80, while the Lincoln Tunnel (the NJ 3 control) is a better route to get to Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. 

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=30119.0

Did not see that
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

famartin

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 06, 2021, 10:53:44 PM
The one thing that is confusing is that New York is the control for I-80, while the Lincoln Tunnel (the NJ 3 control) is a better route to get to Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. 

Did not see that

Why was that moved out of here?

Alps

Quote from: famartin on September 06, 2021, 11:06:55 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 06, 2021, 10:53:44 PM

Did not see that

Why was that moved out of here?
Moved it back in. So there's an entirely separate control cities area, or feel free to start a new thread on it.

NJRoadfan

The temporary bridge built for the US-22 overpass over Chestnut St. reconstruction is now visible on Street View

https://goo.gl/maps/pbCYp67j1cAimwq27
https://goo.gl/maps/jY1w1eB5covcW3Hf8

No photos underneath though.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/BkFX5nxS2TnejF4a8
This one shows how bad it is to warrant replacement.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

interstate73

🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

famartin

Snapped a picture of new signs along Route 3 approaching US 46. I had taken a photo from this very spot a year ago, so here's the comparison:

First, last year:

Now, current:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on September 25, 2021, 06:03:11 PM
Snapped a picture of new signs along Route 3 approaching US 46. I had taken a photo from this very spot a year ago, so here's the comparison:

First, last year:

Now, current:

Note for those that believe whenever they add signage, they need to revamp the entire structure:  The structure is the same; easily identifiable by the sign lighting remaining the same even though it doesn't match the signage now.

Also, speaking of overhead lighting:  NJDOT is using LED lighting for signage.  They were fairly early adapters with Red lights at on traffic lights, then green, then yellow.  And now with overhead signage lighting.  But they've generally steered clear of using LED lighting for street lighting.

storm2k

First, last year:

Now, current:

I'm not a fan of that sign on the left. Either you don't need the Valley Rd exit sign there, or even better, you can omit the 3 to 46 part of that sign and just have a sign for the Valley Rd exit. That leftmost sign is busy and just looks bad. The straight upward arrow is incorrect usage for the type of sign it is as well. NJDOT is making more sign choices like this as they embark on a lot of signage replacement throughout the state, and I'm not a fan of some of these choices.

In response to another comment about the structure. NJDOT's MO for decades has been to do signage replacements on existing structures so long as they're not too old and still in good condition. This is actually why there are so many structure replacements happening these days. A lot of them are very much end of life and have hosted at least one previous signage replacement contract in their time (pretty much all the structures with the triangular truss configuration. Those mostly went up in the 1970s-early 80s and had a couple of replacements over the years. 440 in Edison/Woodbridge/Perth Amboy is a prime example. Those structures got new signs in the early 1990s. Some got even newer ones in the early 2010s.) I expect that most box truss style structures will stay for a long time to come and just get new signs as they  do replacements as part of other projects.

Also agree on NJDOT being very slow on the uptake of the LED lighting. PSEG got in on some kind of LED lights very early on for the streetlamps on their utility poles. NJTA is now all in on LED lightning and is swiftly installing it everywhere. But NJDOT, for whatever reason, seems content to stick with HPS lighting, at least for now.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on September 26, 2021, 12:32:47 AM

First, last year:

Now, current:

I'm not a fan of that sign on the left. Either you don't need the Valley Rd exit sign there, or even better, you can omit the 3 to 46 part of that sign and just have a sign for the Valley Rd exit. That leftmost sign is busy and just looks bad. The straight upward arrow is incorrect usage for the type of sign it is as well. NJDOT is making more sign choices like this as they embark on a lot of signage replacement throughout the state, and I'm not a fan of some of these choices.

In response to another comment about the structure. NJDOT's MO for decades has been to do signage replacements on existing structures so long as they're not too old and still in good condition. This is actually why there are so many structure replacements happening these days. A lot of them are very much end of life and have hosted at least one previous signage replacement contract in their time (pretty much all the structures with the triangular truss configuration. Those mostly went up in the 1970s-early 80s and had a couple of replacements over the years. 440 in Edison/Woodbridge/Perth Amboy is a prime example. Those structures got new signs in the early 1990s. Some got even newer ones in the early 2010s.) I expect that most box truss style structures will stay for a long time to come and just get new signs as they  do replacements as part of other projects.

Also agree on NJDOT being very slow on the uptake of the LED lighting. PSEG got in on some kind of LED lights very early on for the streetlamps on their utility poles. NJTA is now all in on LED lightning and is swiftly installing it everywhere. But NJDOT, for whatever reason, seems content to stick with HPS lighting, at least for now.

I'm confused by the left sign too. Isn't 3 going to be two or three thru lanes once the new interchange is complete? Right now the sign is ok, but it won't be when all done.

As far as light changeovers, I'm guessing this is typical NJDOT policy at work... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" .

jeffandnicole

A quick glance at this structure appears that it's a newer style. The older ones being replaced are generally a large box structure or a triangle (for lack of better terms).

NJRoadfan

PSE&G installed inductive "ice arc" lighting, not LEDs. At the time they weighed the pros and cons and chose induction. They replaced all the old mercury vapor street lights first and then moved to the HPS fixtures. I don't know if they are even installing new induction lighting though as I think the supplier they were using went out of business. They may be forced to switch to LED anyway as that's where the rest of the industry and economies of scale are going.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 26, 2021, 12:31:42 PM

PSE&G installed inductive "ice arc" lighting, not LEDs. At the time they weighed the pros and cons and chose induction. They replaced all the old mercury vapor street lights first and then moved to the HPS fixtures. I don't know if they are even installing new induction lighting though as I think the supplier they were using went out of business. They may be forced to switch to LED anyway as that's where the rest of the industry and economies of scale are going.

That's interesting. I always thought they were earlier generation LED luminaries. They were pretty bright when they started putting them up, but a lot of them are not anymore. I would not be opposed to them eventually switching to LED.

Mdcastle

^^^Induction lighting is so associated with New Jersey that streetlight collectors refer to the distinctive fixtures as "Jersey Series". I have an example in my garage.

What year did the New Jersey highway markers switch from triangles to circles?

famartin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 26, 2021, 12:31:42 PM

They looked like fluorescents to me, so that all makes sense. Didn't know there was a difference, actually.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mdcastle on September 26, 2021, 07:44:39 PM
^^^Induction lighting is so associated with New Jersey that streetlight collectors refer to the distinctive fixtures as "Jersey Series". I have an example in my garage.

I have one of those right outside my house!  I don't give it too much thought, although when it wasn't working a few years back it was noticeably darker.  I sent PSEG a form request mentioning it wasn't working; they were out the next day and fixed it.

NJRoadfan

US Lighting Tech, the company that made the fixtures, called them "The Jersey" on their product listings as it was custom designed for PSE&G. USLT seems to have gone out of business though.

NJDOT seems to have a thing for new signs with a vertical divider on them. The new exit sign on 440 South for the NJTP and CR-514 West is a similar setup (514 East still has a seperate BGS). Also a much clearer END NJ-440/BEGIN I-287 sign has appeared there (now famartin needs to drive up there and get a photo).

famartin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 26, 2021, 10:12:58 PM

US Lighting Tech, the company that made the fixtures, called them "The Jersey" on their product listings as it was custom designed for PSE&G. USLT seems to have gone out of business though.

NJDOT seems to have a thing for new signs with a vertical divider on them. The new exit sign on 440 South for the NJTP and CR-514 West is a similar setup (514 East still has a seperate BGS). Also a much clearer END NJ-440/BEGIN I-287 sign has appeared there (now famartin needs to drive up there and get a photo).
Been doing views from overpasses this year... any sign pics were purely opportunistic and incidental. The Route 3 sign was because I was taking a pic of 509 which passes right below there, but the sign was right there and the light was optimal, so I couldn't resist.

roadman65

So the new pull throughs on the EB side now will feature TO NJ 495 and Lincoln Tunnel I would guess.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on September 26, 2021, 10:43:34 PM
So the new pull throughs on the EB side now will feature TO NJ 495 and Lincoln Tunnel I would guess.

The old ones had Lincoln Tunnel already. Adding 495 would be natural. That said, the old ones had "To NJTP" .

NJRoadfan

The WEST NJ-3 to WEST US-46 sign makes sense due to traffic coming off of GSP northbound looking to make that connection. Alas, that sign is before the northbound GSP ramp merges on!

Alps

What year did the New Jersey highway markers switch from triangles to circles?
1776? they've always been circles

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 26, 2021, 10:12:58 PM

I will get there and grab a couple eventually. I've been grabbing the new ones off and on, which you can see if you scroll through this thread.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 26, 2021, 11:20:59 PM
The WEST NJ-3 to WEST US-46 sign makes sense due to traffic coming off of GSP northbound looking to make that connection. Alas, that sign is before the northbound GSP ramp merges on!

Exactly! Just put up a sign for the Valley Rd exit and leave a reassurance sign like that to after the Parkway ramp merges in.

famartin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 26, 2021, 11:20:59 PM
The content makes sense, but the single arrow will be wrong when construction is complete.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.