News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-75 Closure near Cincinnati

Started by CtrlAltDel, December 11, 2019, 04:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

According to Google Maps, I-75 north of Cincinnati is currently closed and will be until March. However, I can't find any information about this closure anywhere, and the traffic seems too light on nearby roads. So, for those in the area, is this road closed, or is it just a mistake on their part?

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

JustMePatrick

75 itself is not shut down I dont think , you can get details at ohgo.com. there is a lot of construction in that area.

SM-G975U

CtrlAltDel

Thanks. It seems very much a mistake on Google's part here.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hbelkins

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 12, 2019, 04:28:05 PM

It's possible there was a wreck or some sort of overhead utility work at the time that screenshot was captured, that showed the closure.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: hbelkins on December 13, 2019, 11:36:49 AM

It's possible there was a wreck or some sort of overhead utility work at the time that screenshot was captured, that showed the closure.

I was wondering something like that, but the closure is still there.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 14, 2019, 02:27:01 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 13, 2019, 11:36:49 AM

I was wondering something like that, but the closure is still there.

I drove that section yesterday, the road has heavy constuction, and multiple overpasses are closed, but the interstate is open all the way through.

frankenroad

As others have pointed out, 75 is open (full 3 lanes each way except on some overnights) through that area.  What is (are) closed (and being eliminated) are the parallel "service roads" on both sides of the interstate in that area.

Heavy construction area - and the lanes might not be where they were a week ago, but they are open.  When all is said and done it will be 4 lanes in each direction.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

jt4

Quote from: frankenroad on December 14, 2019, 05:39:42 PM
As others have pointed out, 75 is open (full 3 lanes each way except on some overnights) through that area.  What is (are) closed (and being eliminated) are the parallel "service roads" on both sides of the interstate in that area.

For southbound, it's the other way around - most of the traffic on southbound 75 is being shunted to service roads until the 4-lane road is completed. Technically speaking, I-75 main is closed, and Google Maps tells you to take the I-75 service road.

Buck87

How bad has the traffic been getting on the southbound side?

I might just opt for using 71 the next time I have to drive thru Cincinnati, or maybe even going around on 275.

GCrites

Quote from: frankenroad on December 14, 2019, 05:39:42 PM

Why are they doing away with those? I don't feel they were causing that much trouble -- though I haven't traveled though there very much since 2009.

amroad17

It is part of the "modernization" Ohio DOT is doing to I-75 in the Cincinnati area.  The section between Harrison Ave and I-74 has been upgraded as well as the section just north of I-74 to the Norwood Lateral (additional lanes, improved sight lines, improved merges).  The interchange with I-74 is going through a complete renovation with overpasses rebuilt and re-aligned.

The section mentioned above is in the area around GE--from Exit 13 to Exit 14.  The eastern service road was flat through the area unlike the western service road which undulated along the land.  There was also three mainline lanes through here, which is being increased to four.

This is supposed to coincide with improving the area of the Lockland split.  A little history for those not familiar...
The current southbound lanes in the "canyon" were the original divided four lanes of I-75.  In the early 1960's it was determined that new northbound lanes were needed as this local freeway was part of a now national freeway, so new northbound lanes were built starting south of Galbraith Road and curved 1/2 mile east of the southbound lanes, merging just south of Exit 13.

There is also much clearing out of the area around the Lockland split.  I am not sure as to what will be constructed in the end.

As far as traffic, 3 lanes are being maintained each way with the usual slowdowns in the morning and evening.  Maybe it will be partly ready by next fall, however, I am expecting more of a 2021 completion date.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: amroad17 on December 18, 2019, 01:52:32 AM
It is part of the "modernization" Ohio DOT is doing to I-75 in the Cincinnati area.  The section between Harrison Ave and I-74 has been upgraded as well as the section just north of I-74 to the Norwood Lateral (additional lanes, improved sight lines, improved merges).  The interchange with I-74 is going through a complete renovation with overpasses rebuilt and re-aligned.

The section mentioned above is in the area around GE--from Exit 13 to Exit 14.  The eastern service road was flat through the area unlike the western service road which undulated along the land.  There was also three mainline lanes through here, which is being increased to four.

This is supposed to coincide with improving the area of the Lockland split.  A little history for those not familiar...
The current southbound lanes in the "canyon" were the original divided four lanes of I-75.  In the early 1960's it was determined that new northbound lanes were needed as this local freeway was part of a now national freeway, so new northbound lanes were built starting south of Galbraith Road and curved 1/2 mile east of the southbound lanes, merging just south of Exit 13.

There is also much clearing out of the area around the Lockland split.  I am not sure as to what will be constructed in the end.

As far as traffic, 3 lanes are being maintained each way with the usual slowdowns in the morning and evening.  Maybe it will be partly ready by next fall, however, I am expecting more of a 2021 completion date.

I think 2021 is correct.  There is a LOT of work still to be done including all the Half Bridges that need to be finished.

Henry

Has there been any talk of HOT express lanes on I-75 (a la a certain I-7x freeway in that other Queen City)? I think that with the additional capacity, they should go for it, with at least one in each direction. From the I-71 split to the top end of I-275 should do the trick.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.