News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Two-Section Signal Mounted Overhead in NYC

Started by Brian556, January 25, 2018, 12:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This picture shows a two-signal mounted overhead. I have never seen that before. I thought the two-section signals were side mounted only

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/645672/

roadman65

I thought, also, that the MUTCD forbids them.  In fact NYCDOT got rid of the last in Rockaway as the ones there in 2003 are long gone.  Those there on the beachfront road, I was told, were the last in the five boroughs in existemce.

Edit: I saw that after I hit the post button, but I was doing something at the time to correct it as I go on and off the internet real fast at times and that was one of the times.  However, yes I will try not to respond real quickly the next time being I am on probation with many of the Aspies on here. 

However, nothing surprises me so if NYC did that it would not be so strange, and you must admit it did look like a google pic and the way the OP sounded like it could have been today that was taken. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GenExpwy

Quote from: roadman65 on January 25, 2018, 11:27:02 AM
I thought, also, that the MUTCD forbids them.  In fact NYCDOT got rid of the last in Rockaway as the ones there in 2003 are long gone.  Those there on the beachfront road, I was told, were the last in the five boroughs in existemce.

Scroll down. The picture was taken in April 1970. :pan:

SidS1045

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Alps

Quote from: Brian556 on January 25, 2018, 12:28:23 AM
This picture shows a two-signal mounted overhead. I have never seen that before. I thought the two-section signals were side mounted only

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/645672/
There are still a good number of overheads with the third head slightly separated from the other two because it uses the old two section bracket.

sparker

I recall 2-section signals in the Bunker Hill area west of downtown L.A. in the early to mid-50's, but don't recall any on overhead assemblies.  They were phased out & replaced by 3-sections by about 1958 or 1959 IIRC.  That area also featured the last of the "semaphore" stop/go signals in SoCal, gone by about 1956. 

Love the picture of the NH EP-5 locomotive.  Had the Lionel model (with the wrong trucks) when I was a kid. 

roadman65

I do remember Park Avenue at 46th Street having two section overheads attached to a real neat mast arm.  It was later replaced with a regular 3 section, but the arms and poles were still kept long afterwards.

My dad said that NYC used to have all two sections, but I only imagine that many used overhead assemblies back then. I never asked him if they were or not, but I cannot believe that NYC could have all side mounts everywhere either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RestrictOnTheHanger

There are still a bunch of 2 section heads around that are solid red on top and flashing red on bottom, mostly on service roads and driveways

Avenue C

https://goo.gl/maps/4uzB5hXJMo12

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.