News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Outerbridge Crossing Replacement Plan Underway

Started by mapman1071, April 21, 2018, 08:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapman1071

SteveG1988

Quote from: mapman1071 on April 21, 2018, 08:44:13 PM
http://www.silive.com/news/2017/03/study_to_begin_on_outerbridge.html

Will they copy the Goethals bridge for this one, similar to how the current one and the original goethals bridge were almost the same design? I doubt it will be anything other than a cable stay or a tied arch.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

froggie

^ Who cares what it'll be, as long as it's functional, has 6 lanes, shoulders, and a bike/ped path?

Roadgeek Adam

Bike/ped path is the most important part. It would be nice to be able to bicycle from Perth Amboy to Tottenville. That way you could grab the SIR to St. George and head into the city.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

02 Park Ave

Perhaps a new bridge will encourage them to complete the Korean War Veterans Parkway.
C-o-H

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on April 23, 2018, 07:07:13 PM
Perhaps a new bridge will encourage them to complete the Korean War Veterans Parkway.

haahahahahahahahahaha no.

Adam Seth Moss

storm2k

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 22, 2018, 06:49:56 PM
Quote from: mapman1071 on April 21, 2018, 08:44:13 PM
http://www.silive.com/news/2017/03/study_to_begin_on_outerbridge.html

Will they copy the Goethals bridge for this one, similar to how the current one and the original goethals bridge were almost the same design? I doubt it will be anything other than a cable stay or a tied arch.

More than likely, as the cable stayed look is what is "in" in bridge building still these days.

roadman65

Quote from: froggie on April 23, 2018, 04:47:39 PM
^ Who cares what it'll be, as long as it's functional, has 6 lanes, shoulders, and a bike/ped path?
Wow this is so ironic coming from the man who is upset about NC using I-89 for the US 64 upgrade!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Agree about the bike and pedestrian path. The one that was built with the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I-95 between Virginia and Maryland) gets a decent amount of use.  Like the Wilson Bridge making the connection between Va. and Md., there is no nearby connection between New York and New Jersey (I think the Bayonne Bridge will have such a trail when the project to raise the bridge deck is completed, but that's an entirely different travel market).

Beyond all of that, adding a bike and pedestrian trail to a new bridge with 6 or 8 travel lanes for motorized traffic is not especially expensive.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Agreed there, as it would encourage more bikers to use it and take a few more cars away from the road.  Right now to get to NYC, you can only bike the GWB several miles away.  This way with all 3 Staten Island Crossings having bike lanes one could bike across Staten Island to St. George and then into Manhattan.

However from Perth Amboy to bike to the Tottenville Train Station would be most effective to get to the big city.    From Elizabeth biking the Goethals then across Forest Avenue, then Victory Blvd., and finally Bay Street is good for recreation, but if buses on Staten Island could install bike racks (like Orlando has) on the front of the bus, it could become a commute thing to someone working in Lower Manhattan.

Heck just to get on Staten Island from NJ by other means is a feat.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 24, 2018, 12:30:41 PM
Agree about the bike and pedestrian path. The one that was built with the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I-95 between Virginia and Maryland) gets a decent amount of use.  Like the Wilson Bridge making the connection between Va. and Md., there is no nearby connection between New York and New Jersey (I think the Bayonne Bridge will have such a trail when the project to raise the bridge deck is completed, but that's an entirely different travel market).
Beyond all of that, adding a bike and pedestrian trail to a new bridge with 6 or 8 travel lanes for motorized traffic is not especially expensive.

Especially given that they are not built to motor vehicle standards. 

The WWB trail is basically an extension of the bridge deck slab without underlying girders as the girders are not needed.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: roadman65 on April 24, 2018, 12:51:49 PM
Agreed there, as it would encourage more bikers to use it and take a few more cars away from the road.  Right now to get to NYC, you can only bike the GWB several miles away.  This way with all 3 Staten Island Crossings having bike lanes one could bike across Staten Island to St. George and then into Manhattan.

The Staten Island Ferry accommodates bicycles and carries over 60,000 passengers per day.  When the new Goethals Bridge is complete you will be able to bike from NJ to lower Manhattan.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

Quote from: roadman65 on April 24, 2018, 12:10:16 PM
Wow this is so ironic coming from the man who is upset about NC using I-89 for the US 64 upgrade!

You must have me mistaken with someone else.  I disagreed with using 89 or 87 for that corridor, but was never upset about it...

I also have to ask what a route number in North Carolina has to do with a bridge between NJ and NY?

roadman65

Quote from: Beltway on April 24, 2018, 03:00:55 PM

The Staten Island Ferry accommodates bicycles and carries over 60,000 passengers per day.  When the new Goethals Bridge is complete you will be able to bike from NJ to lower Manhattan.
Hopefully the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail could also be extended across the Bayonne Bridge onto Staten Island as NJ Transit has remote plans (whether a pipe dream or not have no clue)to extend it into NY on that end of the Bergen Peninsula.

Sheryl Crowe

SteveG1988

Quote from: roadman65 on April 25, 2018, 08:07:30 PM

Hopefully the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail could also be extended across the Bayonne Bridge onto Staten Island as NJ Transit has remote plans (whether a pipe dream or not have no clue)to extend it into NY on that end of the Bergen Peninsula.

Is it sad that staten island has better connections to NJ than NY?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 27, 2018, 07:15:07 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 25, 2018, 08:07:30 PM

I mean, the Arthur Kill and Kill van Kull are for the most part around 1/4 mile across, compared to New York Bay being a mile across in the Narrows and significantly wider above and below with no other good places for a crossing. It's just geographically way easier to connect SI to NJ.

SI is also significantly better connected to the rest of NYC than NJ via public transit, which dare I say on this forum is significantly more important that motor vehicle connectivity in NYC.

roadman65

I would like to see PATH continue not only to EWR, but beyond it tunneling under Newark Bay, then under Bayonne before going under the Kill Van Kull to traverse the Staten Island North Shore to terminate at the St. George Terminal.

It could have stations at Jersey Gardens, Bayonne, and in Staten Island in a few places along Richmond Terrace including Stapleton before it would terminate at the Ferry Landing. 

I know its far out, but it would have the PATH Red Line terminate at two places in NY and it would connect Staten Island via rail to EWR and also Manhattan as well (though a long ride as the Ferry would still save time). 

I do not know why the old Staten Island Freight Line from Cranford cannot be used as a commuter line and have a Cranford ( yes, the Raritan Valley station has extra platforms left from the Bayonne Shuttle Days) to Staten Island rail service.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

That ain't going to happen.

None of those are.
Adam Seth Moss

Duke87

No, it's... expected. Geographically speaking, Staten Island is much closer to a lot of landmass in New Jersey than it is to any in New York. Functionally, it is west of the Hudson. It's a political anomaly that it's part of New York at all, it'd be more logical if it were part of New Jersey.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Duke87 on April 28, 2018, 01:29:54 PM

No, it's... expected. Geographically speaking, Staten Island is much closer to a lot of landmass in New Jersey than it is to any in New York. Functionally, it is west of the Hudson. It's a political anomaly that it's part of New York at all, it'd be more logical if it were part of New Jersey.

I was hinting at that. It really should be in NJ. Should hold a refferendum, offer them pork roll sammwiches if they come to the garden state.
Roads Clinched

Beltway

Are they better?  Staten Island has a 12-lane Interstate connection to Brooklyn and a high-capacity transit connection to Manhattan.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 28, 2018, 01:38:19 PM

I was hinting at that. It really should be in NJ. Should hold a refferendum, offer them pork roll sammwiches if they come to the garden state.
Taylor ham.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Beltway on April 28, 2018, 02:39:00 PM

Are they better?  Staten Island has a 12-lane Interstate connection to Brooklyn and a high-capacity transit connection to Manhattan.

"High capacity" you mean the ferry. If there was enough demand, and money NJ Transit could cooperate with MTA and open a staten island line. There is the rail bridge that connects Staten Island to NJ near the Goethals Bridge.

12 lanes to New york on one bridge, 14 to new jersey across 3 bridges once the new goethals and raised deck bayonne are finished.

So you got 3 Road bridges, one rail bridge to New Jersey. The bridges to NJ are all being upgraded to some degree.
Roads Clinched

Beltway

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 28, 2018, 05:52:59 PM
"High capacity" you mean the ferry. If there was enough demand, and money NJ Transit could cooperate with MTA and open a staten island line. There is the rail bridge that connects Staten Island to NJ near the Goethals Bridge.
12 lanes to New york on one bridge, 14 to new jersey across 3 bridges once the new goethals and raised deck bayonne are finished.
So you got 3 Road bridges, one rail bridge to New Jersey. The bridges to NJ are all being upgraded to some degree.

Over 60,000 weekday riders on the SI Ferry, that is certainly high capacity.  Its being served by a SI rapid rail line and large parking lots helps promote that capacity, plus multiple subway lines in Manhattan.

The rail bridge near the Goethals Bridge looks like it only has one track, per Google Maps satellite view.  How much passenger rail ridership could that handle?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

SteveG1988

Quote from: Beltway on April 28, 2018, 09:12:37 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 28, 2018, 05:52:59 PM

Over 60,000 weekday riders on the SI Ferry, that is certainly high capacity.  Its being served by a SI rapid rail line and large parking lots helps promote that capacity, plus multiple subway lines in Manhattan.

The rail bridge near the Goethals Bridge looks like it only has one track, per Google Maps satellite view.  How much passenger rail ridership could that handle?

Couple thousand. The atlantic city line was single track over the Delair bridge, is now using both tracks due to a new station that opened up on the bridge, but the line is mostly single track. This lower end line gets 2,951 riders a day. It would also involve reactivating the entire north shore branch of the SIR to make service over the Arthur Kill a reality.
Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.