News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Outerbridge Crossing Replacement Plan Underway

Started by mapman1071, April 21, 2018, 08:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on April 28, 2018, 02:19:32 AM
That ain't going to happen.

None of those are.
I know that ain't but it is just my opinion.

PATH needs to get itself to Newark Airport and is not.  The Train Station along the NE Corridor is one excuse they will hold on to.  If they cannot extend the red line to EWR than they sure is hell ain't going to tunnel under two waterways and terminate at where another subway line and a ferry ride can take motorists from the other end of the line to reach in faster time.

Ideally Staten Island is more connected to NJ other than 3 bridges but geographically as stated by other users here (Arthur Kill is not that wide, but the Narrows and the 2 NY Bays are) and should be taking advantage of that.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2018, 07:02:41 PM

Ideally Staten Island is more connected to NJ other than 3 bridges but geographically as stated by other users here (Arthur Kill is not that wide, but the Narrows and the 2 NY Bays are) and should be taking advantage of that.

I agree with this.  For all intents and purposes, SI should get better connected to transit in NJ.  HBLR should be extended to SI College.   There should be bus connections to Perth Amboy and Elizabeth RR stations.  They are doing a whole big project to improve the express bus service to Midtown and Downtown (which should be done), but not also taking the time to somehow provide better direct connections to other common workplaces (Downtown Brooklyn and Jersey City come to mind).

artmalk

The bridge is not named for its location, as the southernmost bridge in New York State and furthest from Manhattan.  Rather it is named for Eugenius Harvey Outerbridge, first Chairman of the Port Authority.  Let's transfer control to the Department of Redundant Redundancy and officially rename it the Outerbridge Outer Bridge!

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2018, 07:02:41 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on April 28, 2018, 02:19:32 AM
That ain't going to happen.

None of those are.
I know that ain't but it is just my opinion.

PATH needs to get itself to Newark Airport and is not.  The Train Station along the NE Corridor is one excuse they will hold on to.  If they cannot extend the red line to EWR than they sure is hell ain't going to tunnel under two waterways and terminate at where another subway line and a ferry ride can take motorists from the other end of the line to reach in faster time.

There really is no good reason for the PA to spend the billions it will take to extend PATH to the Airport. You get to Newark, you can hop on NJT for one stop to the airport and then the monorail. Besides, the vast majority of traffic to the airport is already on NJT either from NY Penn Station or elsewhere on the line. Local commuters would be better served having the Newark Light Rail extended (or actually building some of the Newark Elizabeth Rail Link that was proposed years ago). Don't waste the billions on this one, PA, put it towards a better bridge connection at the OBX.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.