News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Why only 65 on I95 in New Hamshire

Started by ethanman62187, October 18, 2011, 04:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanman62187

Why is the speed limit only 65 on this freeway (I95)?
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

shadyjay

It's only (about) 16 miles, end to end
It serves a heavy amount of tourist traffic
There's a toll booth about halfway through
It has some interesting interchanges in downtown Portsmouth

Judging by all these characteristics, we should be lucky it's 65.

Crazy Volvo Guy

If I-696 in Detroit can be 70, so can I-95 in NH.

The real reason is because most of the Northeast is against anything over 65.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

ethanman62187

Quote from: US-43|72 on October 18, 2011, 06:31:32 PM

Maine will go 75. Only Maine can handle above 65 in the northeast.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

1995hoo

Quote from: ethanman62187 on October 18, 2011, 04:02:59 PM
Why is the speed limit only 65 on this freeway (I95)?

Because that's the law in New Hampshire.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: ethanman62187 on October 19, 2011, 03:06:50 PMMaine will go 75. Only Maine can handle above 65 in the northeast.

Only north of Bangor where it turns into nothing but trees and the very occasional other car.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Ian

I think there are plenty of roads in the northeast that could qualify for at least 70.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 19, 2011, 07:00:38 PM
I think there are plenty of roads in the northeast that could qualify for at least 70.

Mass Pike west of the 84 split comes to mind, as do several sections of I-91, 93, and 89 in NH/VT.  I'd even slap 75mph onto the northern sections of I-91.

I'd also put 65 on some two-lane roads like US-3 in the Connecticut Lakes region of northernmost New Hampshire, and other rural roads like ME-11.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

newyorker478

I-91 north of White River Junction or even north of MA 2 or Brattleboro would certiantly qualify

DBrim

Speed of traffic on the New England interstates is typically in the upper 70s.  Vermont is an exception - too many cops.  Mass Pike usually ends up in the low to mid 80s, so the speed limit could easily be increased without any safety issues.

95 in NH is fairly crowded, but it does have that nice high speed fastlane toll.  Wish that was in more places.

froggie

Speaking from experience, the Vermont Interstates can adequately handle 70 MPH.  75 MPH might be a push, between the hills and the moose (especially the moose at night).  I'd also keep I-89 near Montpelier at 65 MPH and through Burlington at 60 MPH.  I-91 across the White River should probably remain 55 MPH.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on October 21, 2011, 09:39:00 AM
Speaking from experience, the Vermont Interstates can adequately handle 70 MPH.  75 MPH might be a push, between the hills and the moose (especially the moose at night).  I'd also keep I-89 near Montpelier at 65 MPH and through Burlington at 60 MPH.  I-91 across the White River should probably remain 55 MPH.

moose at night are an advisory concern, as is fog and various other conditions I've encountered on the interstates of Vermont.  In ideal conditions, I can do (and have done) 84-85mph safely - less than ideal, I've found situations (fog thick enough to hammer nails with) where 25 seemed to be awfully fast. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

Quote from: US-43|72 on October 18, 2011, 06:31:32 PM

It took a long time for the North-East to go 65 when it the 65 interstate limit was first passed in the 80s.  Some states like CT did not even implement that until the 90s.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.