News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Sitting ducks" or "bullseyes"

Started by -- US 175 --, June 22, 2020, 03:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-- US 175 --

Are there any sign assemblies or signal poles/posts that seem to be hit in your area with regularity?

I have 2 examples:
* The exit gore sign on US 75 SB at the Belt Line-Main exit in Richardson, TX.  This one seems to be a goner fairly often.  I'm not sure if it's drunks, inattentive drivers, or people that forgot their exit, but TxDOT has to be tired of replacing that exit sign.
* Both freestanding ped signals at Dallas Pkwy./Belt Line at the Dallas-Addison border.  Could be drunks, since there are *many* restaurants/bars in that area, or impatient folks cutting corners?  I know both of them have been knocked over quite a few times.

There have to be others around.

jmacswimmer

The gore point signs for both I-270 & I-270 spur departing the Capital Beltway seem to go thru a never-ending cycle of taken down/missing for a while/replaced with new sign/rinse & repeat.

Indeed, the most recent streetview at both shows no gore signage & mashed-up guardrail :wow:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jeffandnicole

https://goo.gl/maps/ZxNFYFFahSURy2aPA

The Keep Right sign on the temporary sign holder should be located in the hole to the left of that GSV, but the roadway coming out of the traffic circle is too narrow for trucks to navigate.  It's either hit the mostly immovable telephone pole or hit the sign which is designed to fall at the lightest tap.

This GSV is very recent - you'll notice a new pole is being installed a few feet away from the curb due to another project, so that should help a little. NJ utility companies tends to place utility poles very close to the curb line.  Same goes for traffic light poles.  Speaking of...

https://goo.gl/maps/THcfWTiEraX24Kp47

The light pole with the mast to the right (not the closest one, but the one between the ped crosswalk aprons) has been hit by trucks several times due to a tighter than normal radii.  The response was to make this a no-right-turn intersection for everyone, and vehicles wanting to turn right here should actually do so at the previous intersection to access Kings Hwy.  Trucks not familiar with the area still try to make this right, and the result ultimately is the same.

Mapmikey

I have been commuting past this exit 34 sign for 22 years and it has been hit over a dozen times - https://goo.gl/maps/nnxndvuNhYFrs3Uh7

A quick check of GMSV shows twice missing altogether and a different sign about every other time or damaged in some way.

Semis cannot take these S curves on the beltway over 55 mph or they lose it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.