News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Counties without federal highways

Started by Poiponen13, December 25, 2023, 06:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Here's Illinois:

Red represents counties with both Interstates and US Highways.
Pink represents counties with Interstates only.
Orange represents counties with US Highways only.

There's a sliver of US-51 in the northwestern corner of Jefferson County, but not the entire roadway. I counted it, but I kind of didn't want to.

I admit I may have missed an edge case or two.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 25, 2023, 07:13:01 PM
Texas has 17 counties without a US route or interstate, shown by the red counties on the map:
[img snipped]http://

I like this concept! Had fun trying it out for NY using a loosely TM-based color scheme (red+blue=purple) and I would not mind adding to this map to potentially complete the whole country, starting with any full state breakdowns that are listed here.

My upthread math on NY was a tad off. I missed Montgomery having no US route and Washington having no interstate, so the correct totals are as follows:

Purple = 37 counties with BOTH a US Route and an Interstate
Blue = 11 counties with an Interstate, but no US Route
Red = 5 counties with a US Route, but no Interstate
Brown = 9 counties with NEITHER a US Route nor an Interstate

48 counties with an Interstate // 14 counties with no Interstate
42 counties with a US Route // 20 counties with no US Route

bing101

California has a few places without US-Route and Interstate Routes.Yuba, Sutter, Butte and Lake County are some of the most populated counties in California without US Route or Interstates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuba_County,_California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutter_County,_California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_County,_California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte_County,_California

RZF

Without fact checking, counties in California with no Interstates or US routes:
Alpine
Amador
Butte
Calaveras
Lake
Madera
Mariposa
Napa
Plumas
Santa Cruz
Sutter
Toulumne
Trinity
Tulare
Yuba

It's interesting to see that most of these counties are in the sparsely populated Sierra Nevada. Santa Cruz is the only coastal county not served by US 101 or I-5.

mgk920

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 26, 2023, 12:55:59 PM
Here's Illinois:

Red represents counties with both Interstates and US Highways.
Pink represents counties with Interstates only.
Orange represents counties with US Highways only.

There's a sliver of US-51 in the northwestern corner of Jefferson County, but not the entire roadway. I counted it, but I kind of didn't want to.

I admit I may have missed an edge case or two.

I-57 barely ticks the NW corner of Clay County, just barely, but does enter it.

Mike

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2023, 01:33:03 PM
Texas has 17 counties without a US route or interstate, shown by the red counties on the map:

I like this concept! Had fun trying it out for NY using a loosely TM-based color scheme (red+blue=purple) and I would not mind adding to this map to potentially complete the whole country, starting with any full state breakdowns that are listed here.

My upthread math on NY was a tad off. I missed Montgomery having no US route and Washington having no interstate, so the correct totals are as follows:

Purple = 37 counties with BOTH a US Route and an Interstate
Blue = 11 counties with an Interstate, but no US Route
Red = 5 counties with a US Route, but no Interstate
Brown = 9 counties with NEITHER a US Route nor an Interstate

48 counties with an Interstate // 14 counties with no Interstate
42 counties with a US Route // 20 counties with no US Route
Delaware County has 206 in it. :spin:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: mgk920 on December 26, 2023, 01:48:19 PM
I-57 barely ticks the NW corner of Clay County, just barely, but does enter it.

I have corrected the error:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jlam

Here is a breakdown of Colorado's highways within counties:

Red = 24 counties with both an Interstate and a U.S. Highway
Orange = 0 counties with an Interstate but no U.S. Highways
Green = 33 counties with a U.S. Highway but no Interstates
Gray = 7 counties with no Interstates or U.S. Highways

24 counties with an Interstate // 40 without
57 counties with a U.S. Highway // 7 without

This may seem obvious, but there are no counties in Colorado with an Interstate but no U.S. Highways due to Colorado's vast amount of concurrencies and parallel routes. Let me know if I screwed up.

roadman65

Quote from: vdeane on December 26, 2023, 11:03:08 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 26, 2023, 11:00:45 AM
Quote from: vdeane on December 26, 2023, 10:52:01 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 25, 2023, 09:24:27 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 25, 2023, 09:03:29 PM
NY, interestingly enough, has more counties that have only interstates than only US routes (and by a lot, not just barely).  I feel like it's normally the reverse.

That was my point earlier with I-495 on Long Island. It created a scenario where two more counties got to get interstates that had neither US or interstates before. Sure you had Richmond, Kings, and Queens with interstate only before as well as others out there especially along I-86.  NY isn't a very US Route friendly state where others are more welcome to US routes over interstates.
And yet your post never even left Long Island...

Doesn't have to, both Nassau and Suffolk counted before circa 1985 as counties without US or interstates as I-495 was originally NY 495.
Well, my post was about the whole state, so to say that your post already covered what my post said when your post never left the island is disingenuous.

Whatever.

Go join your friend Rothman and build igloos together in the Arctic.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

flan

Red: Has US Highways
Blue: Has Interstate Highways
Magenta: Both
White: Neither

The white counties are: Cavalier, Dunn, Grant, Griggs, Hettinger, Logan, McIntosh, Mercer, Oliver, Ransom, Sargent, Sioux, Steele

Interestingly, Morton County has two Interstate Highways (94, 194) but no US highways.

webny99

Quote from: flan on December 26, 2023, 05:59:11 PM
Interestingly, Morton County has two Interstate Highways (94, 194) but no US highways.

That is notable considering there are only 3 interstates in ND!

NY also has a few of these, my home county of Monroe has 4 Interstates but no US Routes, as does Queens.

TheHighwayMan3561

MN counties with Interstates but no US routes, though all had US routes that have been decommissioned.

Carlton (former US 61 and US 210)
Martin (former US 16)
Pine (former US 61)
Rice (former US 65)

Douglas County has I-94, but no signed US routes as US 52 is hidden.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

freebrickproductions

I'd have to double check, but I'm fairly certain every county with an interstate in it here in Alabama also has at least one US Route in it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on December 26, 2023, 05:01:36 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 26, 2023, 11:03:08 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 26, 2023, 11:00:45 AM
Quote from: vdeane on December 26, 2023, 10:52:01 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 25, 2023, 09:24:27 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 25, 2023, 09:03:29 PM
NY, interestingly enough, has more counties that have only interstates than only US routes (and by a lot, not just barely).  I feel like it's normally the reverse.

That was my point earlier with I-495 on Long Island. It created a scenario where two more counties got to get interstates that had neither US or interstates before. Sure you had Richmond, Kings, and Queens with interstate only before as well as others out there especially along I-86.  NY isn't a very US Route friendly state where others are more welcome to US routes over interstates.
And yet your post never even left Long Island...

Doesn't have to, both Nassau and Suffolk counted before circa 1985 as counties without US or interstates as I-495 was originally NY 495.
Well, my post was about the whole state, so to say that your post already covered what my post said when your post never left the island is disingenuous.

Whatever.

Go join your friend Rothman and build igloos together in the Arctic.
:rolleyes: Are you sending us to live in the bustling metropolis known as Souky?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

Of Utah's 29 counties:

Interstate and US: 11 (Box Elder, Davis, Emery, Grand, Juab, Millard, Salt Lake, Sevier, Summit, Utah, Weber)

Interstate only: 5 (Beaver, Iron, Morgan, Tooele, Washington)

US only: 12 (Cache, Carbon, Daggett, Duchesne, Garfield, Kane, Piute, Rich, San Juan, Sanpete, Uintah, Wasatch)

That leaves Wayne County as the only one with neither interstate nor US highway.

As a side note, all five Interstate-only counties historically had US highways that were decommissioned when the interstates came through.

hobsini2

Quote from: mgk920 on December 25, 2023, 05:57:15 PM
Here in Wisconsin, I know for certain that Door and Menominee Counties fit that description, but I know that there are others.

Mike
Green Lake County does not either. 23, 73, 44, 49 and 91 are all state highways.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Taking a quick peak at the Wisconsin map...
Adams
Burnett
Door
Green
Green Lake
Menominee
Taylor

As fas I can tell, that is it.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Big John

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 27, 2023, 04:27:21 PM
Taking a quick peak at the Wisconsin map...
Adams
Burnett
Door
Green
Green Lake
Menominee
Taylor

As fas I can tell, that is it.

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 25, 2023, 09:30:03 PM

I also found Burnett, Taylor, Kewaunee, Adams, Green, and Green Lake Counties.

NWI_Irish96

Pretty sure we've already done this but I'm not in the mood to search for it right now.

In Indiana, Blackford, Brown, Fayette, Ohio and Switzerland counties have no Federal highways. Monroe used to be on the list until I-69 was completed into the county.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mgk920

To the best of my knowledge, the only counties in Wisconsin with no 'US' highways but do have interstates are Ozaukee and Sheboygan.

Mike

webny99

I tried my hand at Michigan. It's one of the more interesting states so far IMO, with a good spread of US Route/Interstate combinations. The UP is dominated by counties with a US route only, but somehow also has one county each with neither, both, and an Interstate only.

FrCorySticha

Surprisingly, Montana only has 6 counties without either a US or Interstate highway:

Blue: Interstate
Gray: US
Striped: Both

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2023, 01:33:03 PM

I've been chipping away at this, closing in on half-done with a handful of states still to transfer from this thread and using the "show roads" function on mob-rule for any states missing here. Most of what's remaining is in the Southeast and Pacific Northwest so any contributions from those states would be appreciated.  :)

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on December 25, 2023, 01:30:42 PM
The following counties in NY have no federal routes.

Tioga (maybe for now, depending on whether I-86 ends at the county line or the US 220 interchange in PA)

Upon closer inspection, is there a debate on this? The two most logical temporary termini for I-86 would be (1) the US 220 interchange and (2) the NY/PA line just west of there, both of which would mean a short section of I-86 currently exists in Tioga County. Google actually labels I-86 as ending at the eastern end of the segment in PA, which would be a third option. But most importantly for this discussion, there's literally a mainline I-86 shield in Tioga County, and signage on US 220 includes I-86 WB but only NY 17 EB, so I am strongly inclined to count it as having an Interstate.

Adding Tioga to NY's list of counties with an interstate but no US route (thus adding to the buffer for both "most in the nation" and "most relative to US-route only counties") would be a nice bonus.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.