News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2011 meets?

Started by hbelkins, November 23, 2010, 02:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I would like to host another meet at some point, possibly a Lawton/SW OK area meet (we could trace Old US 62 much like we did Old US 64 in Tulsa), but due to my schedule it would probably have to be on a Tuesday or a Wednesday, and I doubt that enough people could be around to make it worthwhile.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 26, 2010, 11:11:47 PM
I would like to host another meet at some point, possibly a Lawton/SW OK area meet (we could trace Old US 62 much like we did Old US 64 in Tulsa), but due to my schedule it would probably have to be on a Tuesday or a Wednesday, and I doubt that enough people could be around to make it worthwhile.

At this time, Tuesday-Wednesday works for me a little better.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Laura

Quote from: froggie on November 24, 2010, 01:11:27 PM
Per some discussion last year, I was looking at doing a DC area meet sometime in the spring, focusing on the ICC, with some of it open to traffic and the rest under construction.

Yes, this! Mike Pruett and I have been discussing hosting a meet at this exact time of year with this exact intention! It's as if we subconsciously read your mind.

As for Montreal...I visited the city four years ago while I was on a snowboarding trip to Mt. Tremblant, Quebec, and what I found is that how you say hello to someone clues them in to what language is your native. When I would go around saying just "Bonjour!" they assumed that I was a native French speaker! I then learned to say "Bonjour! Hello! Je parle francais but I speak English better."

I do actually know some French, so I would do my best to speak solely in French. The locals got a huge kick out of this and would help me out! They would critique me (positively) and teach me new words. We typically talked in a mix of French and English (mostly english) and it was fun, because I was able to help them practice their English, too. It was super fun. I don't know if this is the typical experience, or if they were just ultra nice because I was a 19 year old girl at the time ;)

hbelkins

Quote from: Laura Bianca on November 27, 2010, 12:16:38 PM

As for Montreal...I visited the city four years ago while I was on a snowboarding trip to Mt. Tremblant, Quebec, and what I found is that how you say hello to someone clues them in to what language is your native.

Wonder what they'd make of "Howdy, y'all?"

(Or, as they say one county to my south, "How's you'uns doing?")

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on November 27, 2010, 11:06:14 PM

As for Montreal...I visited the city four years ago while I was on a snowboarding trip to Mt. Tremblant, Quebec, and what I found is that how you say hello to someone clues them in to what language is your native.

Wonder what they'd make of "Howdy, y'all?"

(Or, as they say one county to my south, "How's you'uns doing?")

Probably the same as they do around Acadiana in Louisiana.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Quote from: froggie on November 24, 2010, 01:11:27 PM
Per some discussion last year, I was looking at doing a DC area meet sometime in the spring, focusing on the ICC, with some of it open to traffic and the rest under construction.

Yes, this! Mike Pruett and I have been discussing hosting a meet at this exact time of year with this exact intention! It's as if we subconsciously read your mind.

As for Montreal...I visited the city four years ago while I was on a snowboarding trip to Mt. Tremblant, Quebec, and what I found is that how you say hello to someone clues them in to what language is your native. When I would go around saying just "Bonjour!" they assumed that I was a native French speaker! I then learned to say "Bonjour! Hello! Je parle francais but I speak English better."

I do actually know some French, so I would do my best to speak solely in French. The locals got a huge kick out of this and would help me out! They would critique me (positively) and teach me new words. We typically talked in a mix of French and English (mostly english) and it was fun, because I was able to help them practice their English, too. It was super fun. I don't know if this is the typical experience, or if they were just ultra nice because I was a 19 year old girl at the time ;)

Laura, you're coming to the Montreal meet then.  (:  And I know about / am definitely at the DC meet.

route56

I would be interested in hosting a Kansas meet, particularly closer to Lawrence than KC, to showcase the new Turnpike Bridge and US 59.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

hbelkins

Quote from: route56 on November 29, 2010, 05:19:03 PM
I would be interested in hosting a Kansas meet, particularly closer to Lawrence than KC, to showcase the new Turnpike Bridge and US 59.

I'd be interested in coming to something like that, schedule permitting. A chance to get some new counties in Missouri (and possibly Kansas) would be great.

corco

I'll be just three hours from Lawrence/KC, so I can be there in all likelihood.

SSOWorld

I still have "thoughts" about a meet in central WI (Wausau or Eau Claire)

Wausau had its freeway upgraded and used to have a Freeway-to-freeway interchange that was only a diamond and another that was planned to be a cloverleaf, but was blown apart by NIMBYs.  Overall the upgrade was to catch up the freeway to the growth around it.

Eau Claire had a new freeway set up for two routes that were major corridors that originally went through EC and Chippewa Falls on surface arterials (mostly urban multilane with a few out-of-date interchanges, some of which were removed.)

50/50 on whether either will happen.  It will be one or the other, not both.  It depends on finances to afford the scouting.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

okroads

Quote from: route56 on November 29, 2010, 05:19:03 PM

Count me in as well.

Scott5114

I would definitely be interested in a Kansas meet, schedule permitting.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

A.J. Bertin

I've heard about a couple Michigan-area meets discussed for 2011: one that Brian Rawson-Ketchum was going to host around Kalamazoo (MI) or Elkhart (IN)... probably not both though. Another one that's been discussed for Michigan would be an Upper Peninsula road trip (based around Marquette) which would piggyback off the mini-meet we had there in September 2010. This was going to be a longer, more in-depth meet which would cover more territory than we were able to get last year.

What about meets in Wisconsin or Minnesota? A meet in Green Bay or Minneapolis/St. Paul would be fantastic if someone is able to organize one in either of those locations.  :spin:
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 04, 2011, 10:54:54 PM
What about meets in Wisconsin or Minnesota? A meet in Green Bay or Minneapolis/St. Paul would be fantastic if someone is able to organize one in either of those locations.  :spin:

There was talk about a multi-day Twin Cities meet for last year, but it fell through.

getemngo

(Credible) Rumor has it there will be a Dayton, Ohio meet in May and/or a Columbus meet in late June.
~ Sam from Michigan

US71

I am aiming for April 9-10 or April 16-17 for Texarkana, depending on which date has more people interested. Tentative would be a full day Saturday, maybe half a day Sunday.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rawmustard

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 04, 2011, 10:54:54 PM
I've heard about a couple Michigan-area meets discussed for 2011: one that Brian Rawson-Ketchum was going to host around Kalamazoo (MI) or Elkhart (IN)... probably not both though.

I'll probably push an Elkhart/South Bend meet closer to when the U.S. 31 freeway in that area is scheduled to be finished, which won't be this year (though I won't stop anyone else who might want to host one in 2011). But a Kalamazoo-area meetup will most likely happen this year, probably in October. Obviously it's too early to set any details beyond that.

Alps

Quote from: getemngo on January 05, 2011, 10:20:27 AM
(Credible) Rumor has it there will be a Dayton, Ohio meet in May and/or a Columbus meet in late June.
Columbus! Columbus! Who needs Dayton?

Alps

Quote from: US71 on January 05, 2011, 10:39:20 AM
I am aiming for April 9-10 or April 16-17 for Texarkana, depending on which date has more people interested. Tentative would be a full day Saturday, maybe half a day Sunday.
I'll probably be wanting to get on my way on the Sunday, but we should take advantage of the sunlight to have a nice long Saturday anyway.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 05, 2011, 08:50:10 PM

Last weekend in February then?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 05, 2011, 08:50:10 PM

I'm pretty much equidistant to both of them so I'd be up for one, or both. Both are about four hours from me (Columbus maybe a little further) but it'd be an easy Saturday morning drive.

A.J. Bertin

As long as the timing is right (preferably Saturdays), I would definitely want to attend both of those.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: PAHighways on November 24, 2010, 12:55:10 PM
I've contemplated doing one in Williamsport that would cover the US 15 upgrades/construction.

Maybe we could meet the cast of Jersey Shore while in that area. Oh wait, wrong Jersey Shore.  :-D

froggie

QuoteOn Facebook, Brian Powell said he's interested in doing something in the Morgantown-Fairmont area of West Virginia, which would be eminently doable for me.

It was brought to my attention this evening that Brian Powell is looking at doing this meet sometime in April.

Michael

Quote from: PAHighways on November 24, 2010, 12:55:10 PM
I've contemplated doing one in Williamsport that would cover the US 15 upgrades/construction.

If you wait until it's signed as I-99, the group could replace the I-99 signs with ones for US 15.  :-D

P.S.: I really hope that US 15 isn't truncated to Williamsport.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.