News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

August 11 - International Roads Meet (Sarnia, ON & Port Huron, MI)

Started by cbeach40, May 27, 2012, 03:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Dr Frankenstein

Is it visible to the public? It redirects me to my "upcoming events" page, and when I follow the link in a browser that is not logged into facebook, it asks me to log in.

AsphaltPlanet

It may be private. Nothing has been said there that hasn't been said here.  If you haven't met Chris or Dan they probably didn't know to invite you
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on July 05, 2012, 11:31:54 PM
I still can't find the facebook event for the meet.
Someone who is a common friend of you and the organizer can invite you. (I'd invite you but I'm not a common friend with the organizer and you :P).  However I think you can crash *cough* invite yourself it if it's public (I doubt it) - https://www.facebook.com/events/104898526317485/
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

This Facebook event discussion highlights the need for meets to be broadcasted on many forums instead of being narrowcasted in only one place.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

I'm free that weekend, and it's striking distance, but I've already seen the US side. Anyway, since I was invited, I'll be happy to pass along the information to anyone who I trust. You'll have to ask me personally, though, I'm not blabbing details here.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2012, 11:27:20 AM
This Facebook event discussion highlights the need for meets to be broadcasted on many forums instead of being narrowcasted in only one place.

It would help also if Facebook events pages were set to be "public" (as I understand is an option), that is accessible on a read-only basis to those of us who refuse to join Facebook.  Also putting the relevant info here is usually good enough for me, but if the Facebook page isn't public and contains content not posted here, that leaves non-Facebook users out in the cold to some extent.

This is a generic gripe rather than one focused on this event, since I have a double schedule conflict that weekend (if I'm not still out west, I'll be at a music festival in West Virginia).

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SSOWorld

The problem with public events is that trolls will often spam themselves in and post a lot of crap.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

I guess this meet is invite-only.  A bit far for me anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: deanej on July 13, 2012, 04:41:44 PM

I thought all of us on the AARoads forum were invited, per the top message in this thread.  Isn't the "invite" business just limited to the Facebook events page?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

That's kinda where the details of the meet are advertised (unless you PM Steve); I assume the RSVP is all there too since nothing was posted here on that subject.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AsphaltPlanet

Cheese with your wine?

If you want to go, then say your going to go here and stop bitching about it.  This conversation line certainly doesn't make me want to attend.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

It's a bit far for me in any case (nearly five hours from Rochester, not including customs; the route through the US is eight), but I'm trying (and obviously failing) to make the point that event details should be posted in more than one place.

AsphaltPlanet

Brandon

Quote from: oscar on July 13, 2012, 07:50:21 PM
Quote from: deanej on July 13, 2012, 04:41:44 PM

I thought all of us on the AARoads forum were invited, per the top message in this thread.  Isn't the "invite" business just limited to the Facebook events page?

That was always my assumption when it is posted here on AA Roads.  Between AA Roads and Facebook, that covers most folks.  The Facebook count, IMHO, is just to get an estimate of the number of people coming to an event.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DanTheMan414

Hey everyone - It's been a long time, work and other obligations in recent months have kept me extremely busy, but I'm ready to get back into the swing of things here, and on the roads web.  (Stay tuned in the coming weeks.)

For the Facebook question, the event page as an invite-only event.  I have just converted it to public, so hopefully the link above will now work.  (I usually create the meet pages through the GribbleNation page.)  Obviously, anyone and everyone who is able to make the trip, we hope you'll head up for it!

If possible, please try to RSVP by Friday, 8/10, so we can have a proper headcount for the Quay Street Brewing Company.  The tour is going to be set up such that we will tour the U.S. side first, check back in at Quay Street Brewing for those who are only doing the U.S. portion, and then from there Chris will take the lead as the tour heads into Sarnia. 

cbeach40

As far as getting a headcount goes, please also let us know if you're planning on which leg you're doing- ONLY USA, ONLY Canada, or BOTH legs.
That is so when I plan the second half I can best accommodate the group.

Thanks, hope to see as many of you there as possible!
and waterrrrrrr!

Roadgeek Adam

Can we also make sure the group photo is on the US Side?
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 20, 2012, 12:00:26 AM
One on each side would seem to make the most sense.

cbeach40

Quote from: Steve on July 20, 2012, 12:29:46 AM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 20, 2012, 12:00:26 AM
One on each side would seem to make the most sense.

Yes, the taking of multiple photos is permitted at this meet.  :-D
and waterrrrrrr!

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: cbeach40 on July 19, 2012, 11:32:14 PMAs far as getting a headcount goes, please also let us know if you're planning on which leg you're doing- ONLY USA, ONLY Canada, or BOTH legs.

Both legs, unamputated meet here.

rawmustard

Quote from: cbeach40 on July 19, 2012, 11:32:14 PM
As far as getting a headcount goes, please also let us know if you're planning on which leg you're doing- ONLY USA, ONLY Canada, or BOTH legs.
That is so when I plan the second half I can best accommodate the group.

Considering I'm overnighting in Chatham-Kent, I'm planning on both tours of course.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: rawmustard on July 23, 2012, 12:09:56 PM
Considering I'm overnighting in Chatham-Kent, I'm planning on both tours of course.

Me too. I'll be joining both tours.
-A.J. from Michigan

Roadgeek Adam

I believe at this point I may be US only unless passport cards are quick (no I still haven't applied yet.)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cbeach40

ATTN: those attending only the Ontario portion

The Ontario half of the meet will start around 3:30, once the attendees have finished up on the Michigan side and made their way across the border.
I suggest meeting at the Tim Hortons on London Line, just east of Highway 40.
http://goo.gl/maps/AO1Wd
Please note that due to construction, access via Airport Road will likely be closed, so proceeding via Highway 40 is probably your best bet.

Unlike the typical meet, where we lunch and then tour, given the later start time we'll just do a smaller meet and greet, then proceed to the tour. When that concludes we can have a more leisurely meeting at a local restaurant.

Anyway, should be a good tour around the area, on both sides of the St. Clair River. Hope to see as many of you there as possible!
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.