News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2013 Ohio Road Meet - Cleveland (Rocks!)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, December 30, 2012, 12:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I would most likely attend the Ohio Road Meet if it was held at...

Nelsonville-Athens (New road construction)*
1 (5.9%)
Zanesville (National Road Museum)*
1 (5.9%)
Cleveland (I-90/I-77 interchange reconstruction)
6 (35.3%)
Cincinnati (American Sign Museum)
4 (23.5%)
NW Ohio (Port-to-Fort Expressway)
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: February 01, 2013, 12:14:58 PM

A.J. Bertin

I want to attend both the Dubuque and Ohio meets.

However, if finances allow me to attend only one meet, I'd probably pick Dubuque over Ohio (especially if the Ohio meet ends up being Fort-to-Port - mainly because I attended the Fort-to-Port meet in 2009 and have never been to a Cleveland meet). I kinda hope Dubuque ends up being in late April because that means I won't have to find a substitute for Sunday School teaching in May. (Wherever the Ohio meet ends up being, I'll be able to be back in Grand Rapids by Saturday night.)
-A.J. from Michigan

vdeane

May 18 would be the best day in May for me.  I have graduation stuff the preceding weekends.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Cleveland or Fort-to-Port would be fine by me.  As long as it doesn't conflict with Dubuque, any weekend is fine by me as well.  Hopefully I can get to more this year than last.  I do want to make it to the one in Ashland, KY, but I feel it would be better to ride/drive with someone instead of trying to make it there and back alone.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

OK - then I'll bite first.  I'm scheduling the Dubuque meet for May 4, 2013.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DanTheMan414

Given May 4th for Dubuque, I'm thinking about deanej's suggestion above.  How would May 18th be for an Ohio Meet?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: DanTheMan414 on January 21, 2013, 11:59:25 AM
Given May 4th for Dubuque, I'm thinking about deanej's suggestion above.  How would May 18th be for an Ohio Meet?
Do it on May 18th in Nelsonville, and then on the 19th, those interested, can partake in the Ohio Historic Bridge Association's Covered bridge tour of SE Ohio.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: DanTheMan414 on January 21, 2013, 11:59:25 AM

May 18 works for me. I'm still rooting for either Cleveland or Cincinnati. ;-)
-A.J. from Michigan

Roadgeek Adam

If it's Cleveland and I can get a ride, I'll consider, since it is the weekend after my graduation from college (May 16).
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Cleveland it shall be.
Who wants to take the lead on this?

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 02, 2013, 12:18:19 AM
Cleveland it shall be.
You're the one who suggested it...

SSOWorld

aww man- now I have to go out of the way to clinch counties :( ;)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

vdeane

Put me down as a maybe for now.  I'll make a final decision based on how my job search turns out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

OK, we have a location. What about a date?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on February 02, 2013, 07:02:38 PM
I recommend bringing your wife as your date. Its easier on everyone else in attendence that way.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 02, 2013, 07:46:11 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 02, 2013, 07:02:38 PM
I recommend bringing your wife as your date. Its easier on everyone else in attendence that way.
Dan suggested May 18 earlier in this thread - Don't take May 4 - I already called that one for Dubuque :)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Steve on February 02, 2013, 12:28:26 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 02, 2013, 12:18:19 AM
Cleveland it shall be.
You're the one who suggested it...

Yeah. The person who announces the location of the meet needs to assume that he or she is taking the lead rather than making a decision like that and then passing off the leadership to someone else. That doesn't make sense. If more than one person are tag-teaming and co-hosting a meet, that stuff needs to be discussed between the two of them privately before announcing a location and date to everyone else.

Is there anyone who knows a lot about what's been going on in the Cleveland area roads-wise?

(This is why I never host meets; I might co-host a meet with someone but don't have enough knowledge of any areas outside of Grand Rapids that make me qualified to host anything.)

Personally I'm excited about a Cleveland meet, but for everyone's sake, I hope the same thing doesn't happen this year that happened in Dayton last year.
-A.J. from Michigan

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

The meet host had something come up and was unable to attend.

I live in fear that this will happen to me when I host a meet. All it would take would be a death in the family or a very sick pet and I'd be forced to bail if I was hosting a meet.

A.J. Bertin

Regarding Dayton last year, I have to say that Sandor did an amazing job putting the meet together at the last minute. It's not a big deal that the person who was planning to host had something come up, because we all knew about that several weeks in advance. It was just unfortunate that the person who was originally supposed to substitute for the host (who knew more about that area) had to back out at the last minute also, and Sandor was thrown into it without much time to prepare at all. He did an excellent job given the circumstances. It's just that it would have been nice for all attendees to know in advance what was going on.

Obviously, family emergencies would take precedence over hosting a meet. Things happen for sure. The main point of my previous post (which I diverged from a little) was simply that it's not fair for one person to make a decision about the date/location of the meet and then just expect someone else to take leadership of everything else (assuming no last-minute emergency). It seems like if two people are co-hosting a meet, all those details need to be worked out before the meet is announced. Communication is key.

I hope no one takes offense at all to any of this. It's not my intent to offend anyone... just to state what actually happened. I am excited about the 2013 meet though!
-A.J. from Michigan

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on February 03, 2013, 07:11:38 PM
What happened in Dayton last year?

seems like everyone else should be able to figure something out, even if one person is missing. 

"hey guys we're all here, let's go grab lunch and see some infrastructure"
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 04, 2013, 10:00:09 AM
seems like everyone else should be able to figure something out, even if one person is missing. 

"hey guys we're all here, let's go grab lunch and see some infrastructure"

Which is why I have an itinerary posted on my meet page and will keep it updated. If something happens the morning of the Ashland meet and I can't make it, those who do attend will already have the route and will be able to follow the intended tour.

vdeane

I'm so tired that for a minute I thought you said Alanland meet.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2013, 10:40:55 PM
The meet host had something come up and was unable to attend.

Same thing happened in Ottawa in August. Steve filled in for Carl as host. There was no trouble.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Has May 18 been set in stone? If so, I need to reschedule a doctor's appointment the day prior.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on February 13, 2013, 11:45:33 AM
Has May 18 been set in stone? If so, I need to reschedule a doctor's appointment the day prior.
I see you know your priorities :P  :happy:
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.