2013 Wichita Road Meet, July 20

Started by route56, May 15, 2013, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Seeing how there's at least three members in the Wichita area, maybe it's time to have a road meet in the southern part of the state, seeing as we've had four in the northeastern part of the state over the years.

Is anyone from down in the Wichita area willing to host. Is there anything the Wichita folks think may be of interest?

EDIT: We've found the interest, and I'm setting the date for July 20.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

In other news, I'd be interested, but I have no idea what we'd do.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Possibly. I'd like to make an Ohio meet if there is one after July 7th, but if there's not I'd be down to go to Wichita- that's about the furthest west a roadmeet will ever be, so that's cool

okroads

I would be interested; it's only about 2 hours from OKC so I could easily make the trip.

hbelkins

I'd be very interested in attending. It all depends on the date chosen. The last two weeks of July and practically all of August and September are out for me, and I'm going to Chattanooga on July 6. I'm tentative for New Jersey on June 29 but since I will be in the northeast earlier in June, I would probably opt for Kansas should you choose June 29 for a date.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: okroads on May 15, 2013, 08:19:32 PM
I would be interested; it's only about 2 hours from OKC so I could easily make the trip.

That would be awesome!  I've been a fan of your websites for quite a bit longer than I've been active on this forum.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

...and we have a Motel 6, but I really don't think you'd want to stay there.  For kicks and giggles, you should read the reviews of it sometime.  Review titles that stick out are "Scarred for life!!!", "Urine. Everywhere.", and "Nastiest place ever!".
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on May 15, 2013, 09:55:00 PM
...and we have a Motel 6, but I really don't think you'd want to stay there.  For kicks and giggles, you should read the reviews of it sometime.  Review titles that stick out are "Scarred for life!!!", "Urine. Everywhere.", and "Nastiest place ever!".

Well, that would be Motel 6.  Stayed at one in South Bend once.  Never again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

No, as Eric can attest to, there are plenty of decent Motel 6es around the country.  The trick is to figure out which ones are decent and which ones are the "Nastiest place ever!".  Typically, though, the newer construction ones are pretty decent, whereas the older construction ones are deficient in some way or another.

To illustrate what I mean, the Motel 6 in West Des Moines (I've stayed there once, back in the early 2000s) gets reviews like "Nice surprise! Clean, safe, convenient" , "Enjoyed the Stay!" , "We enjoy staying here" , and "CLEAN, Oh so clean!" .  I love TripAdvisor for just this reason:  the brand name on the front of a motel doesn't tell you what it's really like.

Back on topic, though, I will be in Branson July 13—16, and in México August 3—11.
Male pronouns, please.

Janko Dialnice

Quote from: kphoger on May 16, 2013, 09:41:54 AM
Back on topic, though, I will be in Branson July 13—16, and in México August 3—11.

Very cool, kphoger. I will be in México as well (el Distrito Federal, to be exact) the weekend that you will be in Branson.
Unfortunatley, because of this trip, I will be limited to only one road meet this year, and that being Portsmouth.

hbelkins

I agree about Trip Advisor. I've stayed at the Motel 6 in Cross Lanes, WV (outside Charleston). It's pretty nice.

In general, I take all the reviews into consideration when I decide where to stay, and not just a handful of bad reviews. But if a place consistently gets panned, I stay away.

As to a Wichita-area meet, I would probably be available to attend on July 13 or Aug. 17. July 20 might also be a possibility.

I'd love to see someone take the ball and run with this. A meet doesn't have to feature new construction. Old alignments, old bridges, stub endings, etc. -- all are fair game for a meet tour.

EDIT: Aug. 17 is out.

kphoger

I'm almost sure I could get my bridge engineer friend involved.  He is still coming to terms with the fact that there are "amateur" roads people out there.  :D
Male pronouns, please.

US71

Quote from: route56 on May 15, 2013, 05:58:05 PM
Seeing how there's at least three members in the Wichita area, maybe it's time to have a road meet in the southern part of the state, seeing as we've had four in the northeastern part of the state over the years.

Is anyone from down in the Wichita area willing to host. Is there anything the Wichita folks think may be of interest?

I'm not from Wichita, but I've been through there:

-Broadway Bridge over the Arkansas River
-Parts of old 96 east of Wichita
-abandoned rail bridges in rural Harvey County
-marble curb signs on Broadway at Elm
-a couple nice truss rail bridges

If I have the time, I'd be interested in attending.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Not to mention being underneath the canal route.  Then there's a 14-track railroad crossing, the artistic relief on some of Kellogg's walls, and.....hmmm, I'll have to think some more about interesting things.
Male pronouns, please.

US71

I don't remember where I stayed last time I stopped. Somewhere near I-135 and US 81. It was before I discovered TripAdvisor.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

I might be up for it, if it isn't too hot.  I'd rather do it now or wait until fall when it cools down.

kphoger

Quote from: bugo on May 16, 2013, 02:53:14 PM
I might be up for it, if it isn't too hot.  I'd rather do it now or wait until fall when it cools down.

Weenie.  ;-)
Male pronouns, please.

okroads

Quote from: kphoger on May 15, 2013, 09:52:32 PM
Quote from: okroads on May 15, 2013, 08:19:32 PM

That would be awesome!  I've been a fan of your websites for quite a bit longer than I've been active on this forum.

Thanks! :D

route56

Quote from: US71 on May 16, 2013, 01:38:20 PM
  • Broadway Bridge over the Arkansas River
The John Mack is definitely on my "too see" list.

I also have the idea of adding the Woody Seat Freeway (ex-K-96, née K-17) in Hutchinson

R.P.K.

apeman33

I stayed in the one at Webb Road once when it was still a Scotsman Inn. And the older Motel 6 in Topeka trumps this one in terms of disgust. That one is one of just two I've demanded a refund from so I could go find another place (The other was the Blue Stem Lodge in Eureka, Kansas). The Motel 6 on the west side is fine for what it is.

As for me, about the only time of the year I can say with certainty that I'll have a free weekend is July through about mid-August.

route56

Looks like we've got the interest; however, the availability is overlapping...

kphoger, would you be helping me setting up a date and meeting place?

R.P.K.

hbelkins

Hope a date is set for this one soon. I need to start making some travel plans and figure out how I'm going to use a dwindling supply of vacation days.

July 13 and July 20 are my top two choices if June 29 is out.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on May 20, 2013, 11:27:45 AM
July 13 and July 20 are my top two choices if June 29 is out.

I believe I'm in town for the 20th.

Quote from: route56 on May 19, 2013, 05:15:42 PM
kphoger, would you be helping me setting up a date and meeting place?

I'll do what I can, but I've never even been to one of these thingies before...
You can PM me with what info you need.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.