Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

Video of the 403 through Hamilton:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

7/8

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Financial-Close-Highway-427-Expansion/

QuoteContract Awarded for Highway 427 Expansion Project
March 14, 2017
Project will provide an enhanced freeway route into York Region

TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) announced today that LINK 427 has signed a fixed-priced contract to design, build, finance and maintain the Highway 427 expansion project.

The contract value of the Highway 427 expansion project is approximately $616M, which reflects payments to be made during construction, the substantial completion payment and the monthly service payments before inflation adjustments. Ongoing maintenance and repairs will ensure Highway 427 is kept in good condition over the contract term.

LINK 427 will focus on design work, and construction is expected to follow in 2017 with completion occurring in 2021. The Highway 427 expansion project includes:

A new 6.6 kilometer extension from Highway 7 to Major Mackenzie Drive with

• Eight lanes from Highway 7 to Rutherford Road
  • Six lanes from Rutherford Road to Major Mackenzie Drive, and
  • Three interchanges: Langstaff Road, Rutherford Road and Major Mackenzie Drive
  • New median High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes
A 4 kilometer road widening from Finch Avenue to Highway 7

• From six to eight lanes, Finch Avenue to south of Steeles Avenue
  • From four to eight lanes, from south of Steeles Avenue to Highway 7
  • New median High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes
Once construction is complete, LINK 427 will receive a substantial completion payment, followed by a series of monthly payments from the Province over a 30-year period. The 30-year period commences when construction is complete. These monthly payments cover routine maintenance, construction, lifecycle repair and renewal of the highway as well as project financing.

LINK 427's team includes:

• Developer: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc. and Brennan Infrastructures Inc. (a member of the Miller Group of Companies)
  • Construction: Dragados Canada Inc., Brennan Infrastructures Inc. and Bot Infrastructure Ltd.
  • Design: MMM Group Ltd. and Thurber Engineering Ltd.
  • Maintenance: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc. and Brennan Infrastructures Inc.
LINK 427 estimates the majority of the labour will come from the Greater Toronto Area. There will be 250 workers on site at the peak of construction.

The Highway 427 expansion project underwent an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third party fairness advisor. LINK 427 submitted the proposal which delivers the best value for Ontario taxpayers.

I also found this map for the project, though it isn't as high-resolution as I hoped.

compdude787

Makes sense, I'm not surprised that they're doing this, given growth of the suburbs northward. It's a good thing that a lot of land was left open in the area north of 427's current terminus. Sure cuts down on the amount of NIMBYs...  :-D

AlbertanRoad

It's probably only Alberta and Ontario which have the most Parclo Interchanges although Ontario "invented" it. Like because I can see 3 Parclos of that map already
Do animals think we are animals to them like we think of them?- Me

Transportfan

I find it odd the MTO would build a full interchange at Langstaff Road. Seems like overkill for that road. A southbound entrance and northbound exit for directional rush hour traffic should have been sufficient.

Also, is Major Mackenzie supposed to be connected with the main section east of Hwy. 27?

7/8

cbeach40

and waterrrrrrr!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: cbeach40 on March 20, 2017, 11:10:19 AM
Next phase in Hwy 401 widening through Cambridge was announced a few weeks ago.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/feds-putting-96m-into-highway-401-widening-in-cambridge-1.3260022#

That's a good news to hear along with Hwy-427 extension althought for this one, I would had let a stub for a possible more northernly extension.

However, for Hwy-401 widening, I wonder if they have long range plans for a C-D setup in the WKC area? That area growed a lot recently and doesn't seem to slow down for now.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 20, 2017, 01:39:58 PM
That's a good news to hear along with Hwy-427 extension althought for this one, I would had let a stub for a possible more northernly extension.

Though there are no immediate plans for a northern extension of Highway 427, the current design does not preclude an extension.  The existing configuration could be converted to a standard parclo pretty easily much the same way the end of the 403 was converted to a parclo when it was extended westerly from Ancaster.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cbeach40

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 20, 2017, 01:39:58 PM

However, for Hwy-401 widening, I wonder if they have long range plans for a C-D setup in the WKC area? That area growed a lot recently and doesn't seem to slow down for now.

No plans for core-collector in that area, just from Mississauga to Halton Road 25. West thereof would be a regular freeway widening.

For Waterloo Region, construction has begun on the new Kitchener-Guelph freeway, and upgrades in the near future to the Hanlon Expressway would provide an alternative freeway corridor to the north at least in that area.
and waterrrrrrr!

Transportfan

Quote from: 7/8 on March 18, 2017, 12:05:21 AM
Quote from: Transportfan on March 17, 2017, 11:49:29 PM
Also, is Major Mackenzie supposed to be connected with the main section east of Hwy. 27?

I found this link on the York Region website, which talks about road widening and realignments on Major Mackenzie Drive. It mentions realigning the road to eliminate the need to follow Hwy 27, and a map is included. http://www.york.ca/wps/portal/yorkhome/newsroom/news/majormackenziedriveconstruction/!ut/p/a1/jZBBT4NAEIV_Sw8cywyrUPRGaihUqyZNlO6lWXBZVmGXLNsS--vdGi8arZ3bTL43894AhQKoYnspmJVasfbY02hLyGWUBXNcLtKrGeZP6-w-XIQBpsQBGwfgH5Xgf_rlGQeIWc1XAmjPbDOVqtZQdOxVm45Vb1wdJH8xcs8rrQZrdtXROTwDPbk4iH4CmD3EmKezx_AmzgK8JV_AiWjOu2h1-fmmTaLKi9iZNLzmhht_Z9y4sbYfrj30cBxHX2gtWu5XzMPfFI0eLBTfQOi74nBXr_MpLd_HZDL5AHx_4do!/dl5/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/#.WMyw6uus-rU

I'm surprised Major Mack is going to widened to six lanes, considering that it is only four  lanes further east. I foresee traffic congestion at Hwy. 50, seeing as there's no road on the Brampton side to tie into to continue west.

7/8

This is good news, the 401 really needs widening east of Milton. Unfortunately there's no date for construction yet.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/ontario-takes-first-step-toward-widening-stretch-of-highway-401-west-of-toronto-1.3362742

Ontario takes first step toward widening stretch of Highway 401 west of Toronto

TORONTO -- The Ontario government says it's taken the first step toward widening 18 kilometres of Highway 401 from the Credit River in Mississauga, Ont., to Regional Road 25 in Milton, Ont.

The expansion project will include adding HOV lanes in each direction and widening the existing six-lane configuration, but no date has been set for construction to begin.

It says Highway 401 will be widened to 12 lanes from the Credit River to Winston Churchill Boulevard, 10 lanes from there to the Highway 407-Highway 401 interchange, 12 lanes from that point to James Snow Parkway, and 10 lanes from there to Regional Road 25.

The government says widening the highway will relieve congestion, allow for a more efficient transportation and flow of goods, and help accommodate continued population and employment growth.

The province has issued a request for qualifications to design, build and finance the expansion project -- the first step in getting construction underway.

Officials say Highway 401 carries between 108,000 and 188,000 vehicles per day in the Peel and Halton region west of Toronto.

"Highway 401 is a critical highway for commuters and commercial traffic travelling throughout Ontario and the United States," Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said Monday in a release.

Mississauga-Streetsville MPP Bob Delaney said morning and evening gridlock are the "constant companion" to western Mississauga motorists.

cbeach40

It says Highway 401 will be widened to 12 lanes from the Credit River to Winston Churchill Boulevard, 10 lanes from there to the Highway 407-Highway 401 interchange, 12 lanes from that point to James Snow Parkway, and 10 lanes from there to Regional Road 25.

Under preliminary concepts, the 10 lane portions will be simple freeway while the 12 lane will be complex freeway (core/collector) configurations.
and waterrrrrrr!

7/8

Quote from: cbeach40 on April 13, 2017, 09:12:03 AM

Under preliminary concepts, the 10 lane portions will be simple freeway while the 12 lane will be complex freeway (core/collector) configurations.

Too bad it has to go down to 10 lanes around the 407, but I guess it would be much too expensive to widen the existing overpasses. I'm not complaining, it'll still be a huge improvement.
-------------

In other highway news, Highway 40 at the 401 in Chatham-Kent will be closed for 8 months for the new overpass. The old overpass demolition will also require closing the 401 for a day. You can see some construction from last summer on GSV.

http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/highway-40-interchange-to-be-shut-down-for-8-months-1.3364552

QuoteHighway 40 interchange to be shut down for 8 months

A heads up for motorists travelling the 401 to Chatham-Kent.

The Highway 40 interchange -- which leads you to Chatham, Blenheim and Wallaceburg — will be closed for almost eight months.

But tourism and business officials hope residents and visitors will find another way to find what the region has to offer.

The $62-million project began more than a year ago, and this year's phase of the work will begin April 18.

Municipal Director of Engineering Adam Sullo says they are working closely with the Ministry of Transportation to make the necessary road safety improvements.

"Sight lines have been a big concern at this overpass going back 15 to 20 years"  says Sullo.

There are more than 200 merchants in Blenheim, but the BIA hopes the economic impact of the work will be minimal.

"We just want people to know we're still here we're still open and welcoming any visitors to town" says BIA member Mark Eskritt.

Chatham-Kent Tourism says the work is a chance for visitors and residents to explore more of the region.

"It's a slower pace, you have an opportunity to discover some of those things perhaps you haven't seen"  says Shannon Paiva, Supervisor of Tourism Development.

On April 29, Highway 401 between Kent Bridge and Bloomfield Roads will be closed to all traffic from 8 p.m until 10 a.m the following morning so the overpass can be demolished.

SignGeek101

Kind of old, but here are some pictures of the ON 69 (future ON 400) twinning project north of the French River:

https://news.ontario.ca/mndmf/en/2017/01/making-highways-safer-in-northeastern-ontario.html

(on the right side of the page)

Clearly these pictures were taken last fall (October I'm guessing) so hopefully a bit of progress has been made since then. It looks like they're realigning the new freeway slightly to the east of the current alignment.

AsphaltPlanet

^ I was up that way at about that time of year last year.  I don't too much has changed since those photos were taken.  When I drove by, I observed that pretty much all of the vegetation (though not all) had been removed from the new alignment, and that heavy rock work was being undertaken.  The rock work required is pretty significant.  Although the topography is fairly flat, the exposed bedrock undulates just enough that the top layer of pretty much the entire future alignment needs to be removed to build a new flat freeway.  There was no work ongoing for any of the bridges when I visited.  I would expect foundations work would be starting fairly soon for at least the new twin French River Bridge structures.  I am actually kind of looking forward to driving up that way later in the summer or early in the fall once the French River Bridges have started to take shape, as I think they'll be interesting looking structures.

AsphaltPlanet

Some photos of the construction at the Highway 19 overpass over Highway 401 in Southwestern Ontario.  This construction season, the old Highway 19 bridge will be replaced with a new structure.  In what is somewhat of an innovative approach, the bridge deck for the new bridge has already pretty much been constructed within the footprint of the interchange.  The old bridge will be demolished, and new piers and footings will be installed in just over a month from the demolition date of the old bridge, and then the new bridge deck will be hoisted into place.  This technique is knicknamed "GiGo" for "Get in, Get out".

looking west from Highway 19 over the 401.  The median lanes of the 401 have been closed in order to construct the new central pier for the new bridge:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_218_west_Apr17_24x16.jpg

two views looking east from the Highway 19 overpass.  As is visible in the photo, the new bridge deck is being constructed in the southeastern interchange quadrant:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_218_east_se_Apr17_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_218_east_bridge_Apr17_24x16.jpg

the old highway 19 bridge:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_structure_218_southeast_Jul14_24x16.jpg

SignGeek101

↑ Any idea whether the type of interchange will be changed along with the bridge? The current one is a diamond, but I know Ontario loves Parclos.

AsphaltPlanet

The intersections at the ramp terminals are being converted to roundabouts.  The interchange footprint is being build wide enough to convert the diamond to a parclo though in the future, should traffic volumes warrant in the future.

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 27, 2017, 09:06:40 PM
Some photos of the construction at the Highway 19 overpass over Highway 401 in Southwestern Ontario.  This construction season, the old Highway 19 bridge will be replaced with a new structure.  In what is somewhat of an innovative approach, the bridge deck for the new bridge has already pretty much been constructed within the footprint of the interchange.  The old bridge will be demolished, and new piers and footings will be installed in just over a month from the demolition date of the old bridge, and then the new bridge deck will be hoisted into place.  This technique is knicknamed "GiGo" for "Get in, Get out".
Actually has a different name in the industry: ABC, for Accelerated Bridge Construction. Construct the bridge offline, then slide it in.

jakeroot

WSDOT used a similar method with the I-5 Skagit River Bridge replacement (the second replacement, after the first bridge collapsed and was replaced with some sort of Bailey bridge).

https://youtu.be/o5uXnSREbH0

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Alps on April 27, 2017, 10:40:56 PM
Actually has a different name in the industry: ABC, for Accelerated Bridge Construction. Construct the bridge offline, then slide it in.

MTO refers to this methodology of accelerated bridge construction as GiGo:
http://ir.lib.uwo.ca/csce2016/London/Structural/31/

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 27, 2017, 11:22:25 PM

Fair enough.

cbeach40

Quote from: Alps on April 27, 2017, 11:46:43 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 27, 2017, 11:22:25 PM

Fair enough.

I had thought ABC was a more of a catch all term for these sorts of projects, while GiGo (build new piers/abutments), Rapid Replacement (use existing ones), etc were specific variations on that concept.

I mean, it's just a question of semantics at this point.
and waterrrrrrr!

AsphaltPlanet

Video of the 407 including the first phase of the extension:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.