News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

From the Star Ledger: U.S. House advances effort to pull funds from controversial I-80 rockfall project

QuoteNew Jersey Congressman Josh Gottheimer, who represents the Garden State communities surrounding the proposed project site, introduced the amendment aimed at the Federal Highway Administration budget for the next fiscal year.

The amendment seeks "to emphasize the importance of federal money not being used for the construction of an artificial wall between mile posts 1.04 and 1.45 along Interstate 80 in Knowlton and Hardwick Townships, New Jersey."

I did not know this project was so disliked. I don't know enough about the rockfall danger in that area to know if this is some NIMBY bullshit taken the highest level or if we're looking at a matter of time before some big piece of rock crushes a part of someone's car and injures them and then everyone is mad at NJDOT for not taking action.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on August 01, 2021, 12:47:09 PM
From the Star Ledger: U.S. House advances effort to pull funds from controversial I-80 rockfall project

QuoteNew Jersey Congressman Josh Gottheimer, who represents the Garden State communities surrounding the proposed project site, introduced the amendment aimed at the Federal Highway Administration budget for the next fiscal year.

The amendment seeks "to emphasize the importance of federal money not being used for the construction of an artificial wall between mile posts 1.04 and 1.45 along Interstate 80 in Knowlton and Hardwick Townships, New Jersey."

I did not know this project was so disliked. I don't know enough about the rockfall danger in that area to know if this is some NIMBY bullshit taken the highest level or if we're looking at a matter of time before some big piece of rock crushes a part of someone's car and injures them and then everyone is mad at NJDOT for not taking action.
This makes no sense. So, as a NJ congressman, you want funding pulled from our state? I wish I had a vote to eliminate this wanker.

roadman65

What ever happened to Singac  on Route 23 guide signs? I remember south of Butler at all now defunct circles where NJDOT replaced Singac on guide signs with Little Falls in the early 80s.

Considering Little Falls is on US 46 and not NJ 23 I always thought that was a strange replacement.  Yet where Butler- Newark existed from Port Jervis southward, Singac- Newark existed from Butler  southward.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

artmalk

There is still one very old sign remaining on Parsippany Road in Parsippany, near the entrance to 287.  In a previous thread the consensus was that it was there  because at one stage 287 ended at 46, which had signs for Singac.  None of the proposed alignments of 287 would have been near Singac.

roadman65

Question about the never built US 9 freeway in Old Bridge and Sayreville.

I was noticing that along with the scrapped NJ 74 freeway that would have connected NJ 18 in East Brunswick to NJ 35 in Old Bridge, there was also a proposed realignment of US 9 that would have extended from the US 9 & NJ 34 wye interchange (where NJ 74 was to interchange with Routes 9 & 34) to NJ 35 in South Amboy south of where the current south end of the US 9 and NJ 35 concurrency ends.

Considering that US 9 from NJ 34 to NJ 35 is expressway grade and even prior to 1991 when the Ernston Road intersection was removed for an interchange, still back in the 60's and 70's and even the 80's there was only one signal from Perrine Road in Old Bridge and NJ 35 in South Amboy.  So to me building a freeway bypass of an already free flowing expressway is unheard of.

However, I do remember that in South Amboy and Sayreville that Route 35 at one time had median breaks south of NJ 35 all the way to the Cheesequake Creek Bridge that eventually got sealed off with wooden barricades to prevent left turns and cross traffic that caused many accidents back then.  So, I was wondering was US 9 in both Sayreville and the former Madison Township also full of median breaks that were later closed off due to safety issues that prompted NJDOT to pursue another alignment had the Route 74 freeway been constructed?

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on August 04, 2021, 12:23:43 AM
Question about the never built US 9 freeway in Old Bridge and Sayreville.

I was noticing that along with the scrapped NJ 74 freeway that would have connected NJ 18 in East Brunswick to NJ 35 in Old Bridge, there was also a proposed realignment of US 9 that would have extended from the US 9 & NJ 34 wye interchange (where NJ 74 was to interchange with Routes 9 & 34) to NJ 35 in South Amboy south of where the current south end of the US 9 and NJ 35 concurrency ends.

Considering that US 9 from NJ 34 to NJ 35 is expressway grade and even prior to 1991 when the Ernston Road intersection was removed for an interchange, still back in the 60's and 70's and even the 80's there was only one signal from Perrine Road in Old Bridge and NJ 35 in South Amboy.  So to me building a freeway bypass of an already free flowing expressway is unheard of.

However, I do remember that in South Amboy and Sayreville that Route 35 at one time had median breaks south of NJ 35 all the way to the Cheesequake Creek Bridge that eventually got sealed off with wooden barricades to prevent left turns and cross traffic that caused many accidents back then.  So, I was wondering was US 9 in both Sayreville and the former Madison Township also full of median breaks that were later closed off due to safety issues that prompted NJDOT to pursue another alignment had the Route 74 freeway been constructed?
I think what you were seeing here was bypassing the US 9/NJ 35 interchange. That's been on the books for decades but it's never happening now.

roadman65

Why has Mercer County 583 shields been removed from I-295 in Lawrence Township? I see  Princeton Pike is used with Princeton and Trenton added as control cities per GSV.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 06, 2021, 03:37:28 PM
Why has Mercer County 583 shields been removed from I-295 in Lawrence Township? I see  Princeton Pike is used with Princeton and Trenton added as control cities per GSV.
Right side, with decision noted lower down:
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/about/R_2015_d_127_(47_NJR_1979(a)).pdf

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on August 06, 2021, 04:53:25 PM

So the county relinquished the road to both Princeton and Lawrence. So cR 583 os no longer a route.   Considering how short it was probably a good idea to not use a five hundred series number for it anyway.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 06, 2021, 05:03:30 PM

So the county relinquished the road to both Princeton and Lawrence. So cR 583 os no longer a route.   Considering how short it was probably a good idea to not use a five hundred series number for it anyway.

Well, remember, NJ is one of those places where different jurisdictions can still maintain routes which are designated by higher authority (i.e., such as US 206 thru Trenton). So, CR 583 I think "technically" still exists along this corridor, but for all intents and purposes, doesn't. There is still a CR 583 shield just north of I-295, I believe, but many have indeed disappeared.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/cFbkRAsDFaMq2BRF9
How far along is the construction at one of the state" s  problematic interchanges coming along?

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 06, 2021, 05:39:26 PM
How far along is the construction at one of the state" s  problematic interchanges coming along?

Its coming. I was nearby recently and snapped a few pics nearby.

View east on 46 from Clove Road.
(full size -> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/2021-07-23_14_39_02_will_rename_and_categorize_soon_42.jpg )

View west on 3 from Grove Street.
(full size-> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/2021-07-31_14_16_31_will_rename_and_categorize_soon_61.jpg )

I believe completion isn't scheduled until 2024.

akotchi

Quote from: famartin on August 06, 2021, 05:07:14 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 06, 2021, 05:03:30 PM

Well, remember, NJ is one of those places where different jurisdictions can still maintain routes which are designated by higher authority (i.e., such as US 206 thru Trenton). So, CR 583 I think "technically" still exists along this corridor, but for all intents and purposes, doesn't. There is still a CR 583 shield just north of I-295, I believe, but many have indeed disappeared.
It is still there.  There was also a SB one south of the interchange, too, but that was removed a couple years ago.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

roadman65

I see though from Street View that US 206 is barely signed in Downtown Trenton.  On Warren Street, where the city built a roundabout at the point US 206 S Bound heads east one block to Broad Street, there is no signage within the roundabout directing US 206 S Bound. 

Also NJ 31 is not signed from US 206 S Bound as well as US 206 on Market Street at Broad which is signed from US 1 as TO US 206 (or was at one time) and no TO US 1 on Broad Street shields exist anymore pointing EB on Market.

IMO, why not just route US 206 on either I-295 and I-195 and bypass the city or even co sign US 206 on US 1 and renumber NJ 129 to US 206 and have US 206 overlap NJ 29 and I-295 to its alignment south of White Horse.  However, NJDOT will not even think of it as they still have not applied to AASHTO to remove US 9 from Beeslys Point or US 322 to from its old alignment in Mullica Hill either.  As far as AASHTO is concerned US 9 still crosses the Great Egg Harbor Bay on what is now open water due to the removal of the old bridge.  Oh, and yes the new Hillsborough Bypass is not officially US 206 Bypass even though signage reflects it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 07, 2021, 11:56:42 AM
I see though from Street View that US 206 is barely signed in Downtown Trenton.  On Warren Street, where the city built a roundabout at the point US 206 S Bound heads east one block to Broad Street, there is no signage within the roundabout directing US 206 S Bound. 

Also NJ 31 is not signed from US 206 S Bound as well as US 206 on Market Street at Broad which is signed from US 1 as TO US 206 (or was at one time) and no TO US 1 on Broad Street shields exist anymore pointing EB on Market.

IMO, why not just route US 206 on either I-295 and I-195 and bypass the city or even co sign US 206 on US 1 and renumber NJ 129 to US 206 and have US 206 overlap NJ 29 and I-295 to its alignment south of White Horse.  However, NJDOT will not even think of it as they still have not applied to AASHTO to remove US 9 from Beeslys Point or US 322 to from its old alignment in Mullica Hill either.  As far as AASHTO is concerned US 9 still crosses the Great Egg Harbor Bay on what is now open water due to the removal of the old bridge.  Oh, and yes the new Hillsborough Bypass is not officially US 206 Bypass even though signage reflects it.

I had thought that they could just mostly bypass the non-NJDOT sections by sending US 206 north along I-195/NJ 29/NJ 129/US 1 up to the Brunswick Circle. There would still be the stub along South Broad Street in Hamilton that NJDOT still maintains presently, but I would think the county could take that over as part of an extended 524. But these are things unlikely to happen.

Alps

Quote from: famartin on August 07, 2021, 09:31:05 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 07, 2021, 11:56:42 AM

I had thought that they could just mostly bypass the non-NJDOT sections by sending US 206 north along I-195/NJ 29/NJ 129/US 1 up to the Brunswick Circle. There would still be the stub along South Broad Street in Hamilton that NJDOT still maintains presently, but I would think the county could take that over as part of an extended 524. But these are things unlikely to happen.
Yeah, NJDOT has plenty of non-state maintained mileage that they seem to have no interest in caring about.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: famartin on August 06, 2021, 06:09:45 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 06, 2021, 05:39:26 PM

Its coming. I was nearby recently and snapped a few pics nearby.

View east on 46 from Clove Road.
(full size -> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/2021-07-23_14_39_02_will_rename_and_categorize_soon_42.jpg )

Drove thru here late last night. Signing is pretty non-existent at the moment besides one very temporary big orange APL sign a mile in advance of the split. Out of towners better be paying attention to those lane markings, because you don't get much else!

storm2k

Always wondered this: how much of 27, 28, and 439 in Elizabeth is actually maintained by NJDOT? Many of the traffic light installs in various places look like either local Elizabeth city installs or Union County jobs rather than NJDOT installs (I mean, a lot of them are the old style trombone arms with the horizontal signal installs, including some where the left turn arrow is between the yellow and green lights like this one), EMMs are uneven, and the way they sign the end of 28 and where 27 goes once the one way Chilton/Cherry pair gets to Westfield Ave is inconsistent. Never was all that sure how much NJDOT actually did and how much fell on the city.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on August 08, 2021, 04:41:10 PM
Always wondered this: how much of 27, 28, and 439 in Elizabeth is actually maintained by NJDOT? Many of the traffic light installs in various places look like either local Elizabeth city installs or Union County jobs rather than NJDOT installs (I mean, a lot of them are the old style trombone arms with the horizontal signal installs, including some where the left turn arrow is between the yellow and green lights like this one), EMMs are uneven, and the way they sign the end of 28 and where 27 goes once the one way Chilton/Cherry pair gets to Westfield Ave is inconsistent. Never was all that sure how much NJDOT actually did and how much fell on the city.

I usually go by the street name blade on the light mast. NJDOT tends to be the only agency to use green background and lowercase letters. If the sign blades are a different color, typeface or omitted completely, it probably isn't a NJDOT light.

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 08, 2021, 11:35:16 PM

I usually go by the street name blade on the light mast. NJDOT tends to be the only agency to use green background and lowercase letters. If the sign blades are a different color, typeface or omitted completely, it probably isn't a NJDOT light.

A lot of north and central Jersey counties are using similar style to NJDOT. So far, though, I've only seen EMM's on NJDOT and SJTA roads. That might be more of a clue.

Alps

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/ pick your route and have fun

famartin

Quote from: Alps on August 09, 2021, 12:13:42 AM
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/ pick your route and have fun

I thought of suggesting that, but someone here likes to rip them for inaccuracies, so decided not to.

mariethefoxy

I know most of the time NJ uses the truss arms for the traffic lights, but why do some intersections have the wisconsin style sideways lights? I seen them a lot in Newark and Atlantic City.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 09, 2021, 04:01:48 PM
I know most of the time NJ uses the truss arms for the traffic lights, but why do some intersections have the wisconsin style sideways lights? I seen them a lot in Newark and Atlantic City.
It's just a different local style. Like how NYC uses the guy wire mast arms.

Alps

Quote from: famartin on August 09, 2021, 02:01:10 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 09, 2021, 12:13:42 AM

I thought of suggesting that, but someone here likes to rip them for inaccuracies, so decided not to.
It's not perfect but it's a good start.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.