AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: US 35 in West Virginia  (Read 30426 times)

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 09:17:13 PM
Re: US 35 in West Virginia
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »

I find it hard to believe that the US 35 designation once spanned along WV 62 between Charleston and Point Pleasant, and went into Ohio via the original ill-fated Silver Bridge over the Ohio River. Now it is vacating the WV 817 corridor for a new four-lane corridor, whose "missing link" hopefully will be completed soon. Go figure!

ysuindy

• Last Login: July 28, 2021, 10:16:40 PM
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2021, 08:44:27 PM »

GreenLanternCorps

• What's behind me, is not important!

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 11:46:24 AM
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2021, 07:14:40 AM »

Just drove this section of US 35 going to and from Scout Camp with my son down in North Carolina.

The four lane bypass is sorely needed.  While traffic moves smoothly on the two lane portion, there was so much of it that anyone living or working along that road would have difficulty simply turning on to the road.

Apple Maps now has the entire construction zone showing in it's satellite view.  Google maps has bupkis.

SP Cook

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 03:06:25 PM
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2021, 10:34:56 AM »

WV DOT has changed the opening date to “sometime in October”. 

Part of the issue has been, IMHO, the odd method in which the previous segments were done.  In every other case I can think of, they built the new road a couple of hundred yards past what will be an exit, with traffic forced down what will someday just be an exit.   Then when the next segment is finished, you just pull up the Jersey barriers and there you go. 

Did not do that here.  Both ends have long segments to tie into the old road, as if it was to be the permanent end, which was never the plan.  The tie in at the Buffalo/Toyota bridge is done, which added time, but the one at the other end has not even started, at least a quarter mile of construction not even started. 

Also, the state has decided to improve the Buffalo/Toyota Bridge exit.  Was just going to be an at grade intersection, but will be reworked into an actual interstate type exit.  Which is needed. 

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 08:20:30 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »

WV DOT has changed the opening date to “sometime in October”. 

Part of the issue has been, IMHO, the odd method in which the previous segments were done.  In every other case I can think of, they built the new road a couple of hundred yards past what will be an exit, with traffic forced down what will someday just be an exit.   Then when the next segment is finished, you just pull up the Jersey barriers and there you go. 

Did not do that here.  Both ends have long segments to tie into the old road, as if it was to be the permanent end, which was never the plan.  The tie in at the Buffalo/Toyota bridge is done, which added time, but the one at the other end has not even started, at least a quarter mile of construction not even started. 

Also, the state has decided to improve the Buffalo/Toyota Bridge exit.  Was just going to be an at grade intersection, but will be reworked into an actual interstate type exit.  Which is needed.

Hope it isn't too late in October. I'd planned to go up there and check out the completed section and make a little longer trip out of it, hoping it was at the peak of foliage season. Doubt I'll go to NRG and the Bridge Day crowd, but was thinking the Beckley/Princeton/Wytheville area for an overnight stay.

As best I could tell from my trip up that way a few weeks ago, there will be only one access point on the new section. I didn't drive up all the county roads running west off the existing route, because many of them were little one-lane gravel roads.

Looked like there was a bridge at the southern end to facilitate a grade-separated interchange.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:20:03 AM by hbelkins »

I identify as vaccinated.

GCrites80s

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 09:07:20 PM
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2021, 11:36:14 AM »

I like the foilage to be down so that I can see old alignments better

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.