Signal Backplates With Reflective Strips

Started by SignBridge, November 12, 2013, 08:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

The 2009 Manual permits traffic-signal backplates to have a reflective yellow strip around the perimeter to emphasize the rectangular appearance. (Sec. 4D.12.21) Has anyone seen them yet in your local areas?

New York State DOT (Region 10) is installing them as part of a signal replacement project along S.R. 25 (Jericho Turnpike) in Long Island's Nassau County. So don't ya' know, the quality of either the yellow tape or the manufacturing/installation process is so poor that the tape is literally peeling off the backplates, in some cases before the signals are even put into service. What a blast seeing some of them gone already and others hanging half off the backplate.

Not only that, but NYSDOT is installing these backplated signals hanging from diagonal spanwires, which had enough of a problem with swinging in the wind, without adding a sail for additional swaying effect. Ya' really have to wonder what they're thinking..........

ARMOURERERIC

The City of Poway California began using them many years ago, but it was to signify intersections with red light cameras.

Alex

Seeing them all over the country since 2011.

hbelkins

Mike Tantillo noticed them along US 23 in Pikeville, and was interested in getting some more information about their implementation in Kentucky, so I hooked him up with one of our experts to get the scoop.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

So far, the only ones I have seen are within walking distance of my house. They're in front of an elementary school, doing double duty to serve as the signal for the school driveway and as the ped signal for the kids.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

spooky

roadman65

The thing is just when they get the whole nation to have them at every signalized intersection, the FHWA will come up with something else new.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Dr Frankenstein

I'm pretty sure I saw a lot of them in Myrtle Beach, especially on U.S. 17 and US 17 Business.

WichitaRoads

They can be seen specifically at the signalized instersections around Washburn University in Topeka, KS - http://goo.gl/maps/BfhM2

ICTRds

KEK Inc.

WSDOT uses it on most highways and freeway on-ramp/off-ramp traffic signals now (excluding meter lights).   SDOT (Seattle) uses them on signals that aren't clearly visible.

I seem to recall there was a signal in Virginia with a white strip around the back-plate (a la European style).  Does anyone have a picture of that?
Take the road less traveled.

SignBridge

I think the concept is okay. I just take issue with NYS DOT's sloppy implementation. As I mentioned in my original post, it's really comical to see the tape peeling off the plates, even before the signal goes in service.........

roadman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2013, 09:40:37 AM
The thing is just when they get the whole nation to have them at every signalized intersection, the FHWA will come up with something else new.
I will give FHWA credit for bothering to do the proper (and extensive) "in the field real world" testing with the concept before declaring reflective strips on backplates as a best practice.  As opposed to "arrow per lane" signs, which went from four or five installations nationwide to a - assume Bill Cosby voice ($64 Car routine) here - You MUST do this - remove Bill Cosby voice - requirement in the MUTCD.  But that's a topic that's already been debated elsewhere in these forums.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

wytout

The first of these I've seen in CT have just gone up over the past month on US5 in E. Windsor at three intersections, (CT 140, The NEW signal just south of that for the new Walmart entrance, and the signal at the next intersection south of that, which is the the intersection w/ i-91 at exit 44 and Newbury Road.  In true connecticut  inconsistently consistent fashion. I'd say about 2/3 of the signal heads in these installations have the flourescent yellow border around the back plates... and the rest.. not so much.

Some of these signals are dog houses, and I guess using this border gets it's point across of making the signals noticeable, becasue as soon as the intersection even remotely comes into view you can pick the the signal shapes out at a distance that you wouldn't normally yet be paying any attention for the lights because you're so far away.
-Chris

roadman65

Kissimmee, FL has some just installed at US 192 and John Young Parkway.  The thing is that its only SB JYP and WB US 192 while the other 2 directions do not have them.

Sheryl Crowe

realjd

Quote from: roadman on November 13, 2013, 07:38:18 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2013, 09:40:37 AM
I will give FHWA credit for bothering to do the proper (and extensive) "in the field real world" testing with the concept before declaring reflective strips on backplates as a best practice.  As opposed to "arrow per lane" signs, which went from four or five installations nationwide to a - assume Bill Cosby voice ($64 Car routine) here - You MUST do this - remove Bill Cosby voice - requirement in the MUTCD.  But that's a topic that's already been debated elsewhere in these forums.

There were only 4 or 5 in the US but countless thousands in Europe and they have decades of experience with them. European traffic researchers and engineers are just as competent as ours and their research is equally valid.

Indyroads

I find the reflective backplates distracting from the actual signal faces themselves. The best recommendation is to continue use of the black signal backplates, and update MUTCD standards to require backplates on all signals. The black backplates provide the necessary contrast needed for greater visibility of the signal faces themselves. In windprone areas there are louvered backplates available that can be installed. Also I would like to see the phase out of yellow traffic signal bodies. They should also be black (or some dark color such as dark green or purple for example in areas where special "custom' signals are installed for street beautification). The reflective backplates do look nice, and they are better than no backplate, but i prefer the black ones as to me they seem safer.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

roadman65

I wonder if NYC is going to "go with the flow" as they live in their own little world still using old analog sign controllers, and double guy mast arms.?

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Right Roadman, and NYC still has mostly 8-inch heads too. About what you'd expect from a place that had old 2-color signals until the mid-1960's.

Indyroads, you have a point about the back plates with reflective strips. I noticed the same thing myself lately. I seem to concentrate on the appearance of the backplate and almost forget to notice what color signal is displayed! I agree with you, dark color (usually dark-green) heads and dark backplates are best. Like in California and Nevada.

M3019C LPS20

I'd hate to see the day that N.Y.C.D.O.T. installs backplates on its traffic signals.

thenetwork

Ohio has really gone gung-ho on the use of "reflective" backplates from what I have read & seen on the internet.  So much, in fact, that I thought it was just an Ohio/ODOT thing and not a MUTCD thing.

Nothing here in my neck of Colorado.

mgk920

WisDOT just got done installing them on a major section of WI 125 (College Ave) here in the Appleton area.

Mike

SignBridge

Are any of you seeing the problem I described with the reflective strips peeling off the backplates? If not, it might just be a problem with the adhesive used by the local contractor.

The High Plains Traveler

Suburban Denver, at least on the south side. I don't know if it's a CDOT District thing, since I've seen them in two counties, on both state and local roads.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Mr_Northside

Quote from: SignBridge on November 24, 2013, 08:14:39 PM
I agree with you, dark color (usually dark-green) heads and dark backplates are best. Like in California and Nevada.

I'd imagine signals that have dark heads and dark backplates would be really hard to see in, say, a situation where it's night and stormy and the power is out.
I'd think reflective backplates would make it easier to know that there is a signal there (and to treat it like an all-way stop)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Indyroads

Quote from: Mr_Northside on November 25, 2013, 07:22:08 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on November 24, 2013, 08:14:39 PM
I agree with you, dark color (usually dark-green) heads and dark backplates are best. Like in California and Nevada.

I'd imagine signals that have dark heads and dark backplates would be really hard to see in, say, a situation where it's night and stormy and the power is out.
I'd think reflective backplates would make it easier to know that there is a signal there (and to treat it like an all-way stop)

That could be remedied by installing battery backup systems at intersections and having traffic signals default to red flash during outages in order to save power. Also use of LED signal heads would also help conserve power of the battery backup system. Some major cities in California installed these (especially at the most dangerous intersections). with proper backup power you may also be able to operate the signals normally if needed.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.