News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-66 recomissioned by Google Maps

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 25, 2009, 09:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on November 05, 2020, 05:18:59 PM

Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2020, 04:35:53 PM
Also, I cannot find GSV of either one existing–even in the oldest GSV available.  However, I'm struggling to figure out where the I-40 junction sign would be.  Was that interchange reconfigured?

Yep. There used to be direct ramps from Central to WB 40 and vice versa, and a half-diamond at Paseo del Volcan (since renamed to Atrisco Vista) for the other movements. Now it's just a standard diamond at Atrisco Vista.

In fact, you can see on satellite where the old WB on-ramp was.

Ah, thank you!  With your helpful explanation, I found an old GSV shot of the location.  Definitely not there anymore.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheGrassGuy

I really wish US-66 was still marked on Google Maps :-|
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

ozarkman417

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 06, 2020, 11:36:26 AM
I really wish US-66 was still marked on Google Maps :-|
That would be useful, but perhaps the largest problem would be how many times the route has changed, especially in urban areas.

I'll take Devil's Elbow, MO for example... The famed Devil's Elbow bridge is on one alignment, (1926-41), while a newer alignment ran along a four lane at grade highway for a while, before moving on to the interstate (44). The question becomes: What alignments become labeled?

TheGrassGuy

Something else I've noticed during my Google Maps sojourns of 66 is that there are so many Punjabi restaurants.

Zonie

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 06, 2020, 07:02:00 PM
Something else I've noticed during my Google Maps sojourns of 66 is that there are so many Punjabi restaurants.

Some background on that:

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-col1-sikh-truckers-20190627-htmlstory.html

TheGrassGuy

Stephane Dumas

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.