News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stadium and team naming

Started by Laura, August 28, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Well, it's better than these names:

Washington Football Club
Washington Monuments
Washington Cascades
Virginia Wolfs
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Bruce

Quote from: 1 on July 23, 2020, 04:54:32 PM
Washington Cascades

That's for us in the other Washington.

Anyway, Seattle has now released the Kraken. The logos are nice, at least.

Henry

Quote from: Bruce on July 23, 2020, 05:10:42 PM
Anyway, Seattle has now released the Kraken. The logos are nice, at least.

I never thought I'd warm up to the name, but I love it! I guess the question is, will they pull a Detroit and throw squid onto the ice when a goal is scored? (I know Detroit actually throws octopuses, but I think Kraken would be more similar to squid.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Good job Seattle.  Best new sports team name of the century so far!

"Washington Football Team" is so awesome.  I really gotta give credit to someone over there to have zero vision for the future and not have something lined up or be unable to come up with something in 2 months.  Really?  You've got nothing?  I bet you could take some random class of first graders and have them come up with something better.

Or is it that you have to sue some douchebag who's squatted on the trademark you want?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

DandyDan

Quote from: Takumi on July 23, 2020, 04:46:33 PM

I read somewhere that Washington Sentinels was seriously being considered for the team in Washington. That was the team in the Keanu Reeves movie The Replacements. I suppose that would still be better than the Washington Generals.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kphoger

How about the "Washington Not Redskins"?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

This will surely be followed up with:

Chicago Not the Baseball Squad, The Other Sport With Sticks Team

Cleveland Team That Didn't Move

Atlanta Baseball Team via Beantown

SEWIGuy

Quote from: formulanone on July 27, 2020, 07:49:29 PM

Uh...made another stop along the way.

kevinb1994

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 27, 2020, 08:36:37 PM

Yes, they made a stop in WAUK. I'm also gonna add a satellite team here in JAX because they helped tremendously despite not staying for long.

formulanone

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 27, 2020, 08:36:37 PM

ok...Boston and Milwaukee Team Which Naturally Made a Stop in Atlanta; We Will Be Arriving in the MLB Terminal, so if Atlanta is Not Your Final Destination, Please Be Courteous To Fellow Passengers Who Might Have to Continue to Calgary or Winnipeg

hobsini2

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 21, 2020, 03:45:04 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 01, 2019, 10:04:32 AM
I'll still be saying "Miller Park" long after this new sponsorship expires and it's yet some other clumsy-sounding bullshit.

Road related:  The short stub of the WI-175 freeway that runs south of I-94 is known as "Miller Park Way."  This continues onto a surface street for just over a mile into the Village of West Milwaukee.

The Brewers requested that both the City of Milwaukee and the Village of West Milwaukee rename the street "Brewers Boulevard."  Milwaukee agreed.  West Milwaukee did not, mostly because of some dispute over who would pay for the signage, etc. 

I think the street should just revert back to 43rd Street, which is what it was prior to Miller Park's construction.
43rd is fine. I would call it Stadium Pkwy since it really acts like a parkway south to Lincoln Ave and can lean on the history of it once being the Stadium Frwy.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Actually, the team name I have heard that I think works wonderfully is Washington Redtails. It was the nickname for the Tuskegee Airmen. The color scheme wouldn't need to change. Only the logo.

As for the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves and Kansas City Chiefs...
The name Blackhawks is officially after an army division, 86th Inf. Division. Also, there was a Midwest local Native American Chief of the Sauk that it also honors. Chief Blackhawk was a significant Native American hero.

The Indians had changed the logo from Chief Wahoo. That was the most offensive thing that people wanted to change.

The Chiefs and Braves are a general honor term. What I think is offensive is people using the Tomahawk chop. That needs to go.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Alps

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 31, 2020, 12:49:02 AM
Actually, the team name I have heard that I think works wonderfully is Washington Redtails. It was the nickname for the Tuskegee Airmen. The color scheme wouldn't need to change. Only the logo.

As for the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves and Kansas City Chiefs...
The name Blackhawks is officially after an army division, 86th Inf. Division. Also, there was a Midwest local Native American Chief of the Sauk that it also honors. Chief Blackhawk was a significant Native American hero.

The Indians had changed the logo from Chief Wahoo. That was the most offensive thing that people wanted to change.

The Chiefs and Braves are a general honor term. What I think is offensive is people using the Tomahawk chop. That needs to go.
They're not Indians. They're not from India.

SP Cook

Quote from: Alps on July 31, 2020, 05:46:10 PM

The word "indian" has multiple meanings.  It could mean a person who is a citizen of India; a person who is genetically descended from either such a person or of the larger pre-partition India, regardless of citizenship; a person who is resident in either the East Indies, which are the islands east of India and is not India or the West Indies, which is the Caribbean. 

Or a person genetically related to those persons present in either of the American continents or the Caribbean prior to 1492.

The term "Indian" in said context is used in the Constitution of the United States (Article I, Section 8) and US statute law; the Constitution of Canada (Section 35) and Canadian statute law; and in Spanish by most Latin American countries.  It is a clear word, having a meaning and a legal status in both the USA and Canada. 

wanderer2575

Worth noting is an alternative scenario.

Why Central Michigan University's "Chippewas" nickname is OK with the local tribe and the NCAA

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2020/07/24/central-michigan-chippewas-nickname-saginaw-chippewa-indian-tribe/5488280002/

The Chippewas' scenario is based on respect for Native Americans and the local Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe.

"The tribe is the one that determines how we use it," CMU President Bob Davies said.  "At any point in time, that can change.  That's the tribe's decision, not necessarily our decision."

"We address this every time it becomes an issue or somebody brings it up," Tribe spokesman Erik Rodriguez said.  "We even address this in years where it's not being talked about.  We want to make sure both sides are comfortable with it, that they're seeing the positive that comes along with it.  We don't want it to become an issue that it doesn't have to be."

Maybe if more organizations sincerely took this approach it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

SEWIGuy

I believe Florida State as a similar arrangement with the Seminole tribe.

hobsini2

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 02, 2020, 04:30:53 PM
I believe Florida State as a similar arrangement with the Seminole tribe.
Correct.

SSOWorld

The Bureau of Indian Affairs don't focus on India either.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 02, 2020, 06:03:02 PM

The Bureau of Indian Affairs don't focus on India either.
Doesn't make it right.

Scott5114

Most Native American people in Oklahoma don't have an issue with the term "Indian" by itself, for what it's worth. It's used as a self-identifier a fair amount. You'll even see it abbreviated to "NDN" sometimes. What they take issue with is...well, everything else about the branding of the Cleveland Indians.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

It will be funny to see any game involving "the" Football Team, like if the other 31 NFL teams didn't exist at all. Yes, I consider "Football Team" to be the new monicker of the Washington, ahem, American football team :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Alps

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 03, 2020, 05:15:30 AM
It will be funny to see any game involving "the" Football Team, like if the other 31 NFL teams didn't exist at all. Yes, I consider "Football Team" to be the new monicker of the Washington, ahem, American football team :sombrero:.
I imagine announcers will just say "Giants vs. Washington" and, outside of discussion, refer to them as "Washington" throughout.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on August 03, 2020, 09:35:40 PM
I imagine announcers will just say "Giants vs. Washington" and, outside of discussion, refer to them as "Washington" throughout.
Why don't they just go with Washington Washingtons temporarily?

ftballfan

I think a lot of media were referring to them as Washington in the past few years. Side note: when the CFL had a few teams in the States, the team in Baltimore was called the Baltimore Football Club for a while before becoming the Baltimore Stallions.

SSOWorld

Quote from: thspfc on August 03, 2020, 09:41:05 PM
Why don't they just go with Washington Washingtons temporarily?
It might offend all the people with the last name of Washington out there ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.