News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

ethanhopkin14

I know this has been talked about, but my recent trip to Niagara Falls shocked me as to how much Clearview was being used in New York. 

machias

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 21, 2022, 05:51:53 PM
I know this has been talked about, but my recent trip to Niagara Falls shocked me as to how much Clearview was being used in New York. 

The Thruway Authority has used a lot of Clearview in the Buffalo-Niagara region. Usually with non-reflective tape on the letters, which is a hoot and half at night.

J N Winkler

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 15, 2022, 12:30:25 AMDoes Maryland not use Clearview anymore? These were installed in 2018 or 2019.

Nope.  From a recent I-695 plans set (noise abatement contract with some signing content):

However, I don't know exactly when they abandoned Clearview, since I stopped following the Maryland DOT agencies when the state migrated its procurement platform (eMaryland Marketplace) to a new provider in mid-2019.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

J N Winkler

Hmm.  The Maryland DOT highway agencies appear to be singing from separate songbooks.  From a Maryland Transportation Authority contract advertised sometime after September 2020:

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

epzik8

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 29, 2022, 04:52:19 PM
Hmm.  The Maryland DOT highway agencies appear to be singing from separate songbooks.  From a Maryland Transportation Authority contract advertised sometime after September 2020:

I-95 from the 895 split/merge northeastward has usually been visually distinct from other Maryland Interstates, owing to its former toll road status.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

seicer

seicer

This sign got recently replaced in Kentucky https://goo.gl/maps/vpGCi3ridR5sY1e58

Based on my recollection from last night's drive, it was:

Entering (in Clearview)
Daniel Boone (in Highway Gothic)
National Forest (in script)

I've also seen other newer Clearview signs in Kentucky but it's not consistent - but never a mix like what I've seen here.

J N Winkler

Quote from: seicer on February 02, 2022, 09:35:18 PMWhat's with the overlay?

Just saw this post--I think the overlay may be for a future direct connection to the express lanes, but this is only a guess.

Quote from: seicer on May 31, 2022, 09:38:12 AMI've also seen other newer Clearview signs in Kentucky but it's not consistent - but never a mix like what I've seen here.

Since we now have free access to the KyTC planroom (still have to "buy" the plans but the charge for downloads is $0), I'm planning to set up ongoing collection in the near future.  Over the years I've managed to cobble together 389 pattern-accurate KyTC sign panel detail and sign elevation sheets from various sources, and they suggest two different approaches to Clearview dominate in Kentucky--(1) Clearview for all positive-contrast legend and (2) Clearview for primary destination legend only.  However, I suspect KyTC does relatively little of its freeway/expressway signing through the types of contracts that actually include sign sketches in the plans or proposal book.

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 31, 2022, 12:01:57 PM
Quote from: seicer on February 02, 2022, 09:35:18 PMWhat's with the overlay?

Just saw this post--I think the overlay may be for a future direct connection to the express lanes, but this is only a guess.

Quote from: seicer on May 31, 2022, 09:38:12 AMI've also seen other newer Clearview signs in Kentucky but it's not consistent - but never a mix like what I've seen here.

Since we now have free access to the KyTC planroom (still have to "buy" the plans but the charge for downloads is $0), I'm planning to set up ongoing collection in the near future.  Over the years I've managed to cobble together 389 pattern-accurate KyTC sign panel detail and sign elevation sheets from various sources, and they suggest two different approaches to Clearview dominate in Kentucky--(1) Clearview for all positive-contrast legend and (2) Clearview for primary destination legend only.  However, I suspect KyTC does relatively little of its freeway/expressway signing through the types of contracts that actually include sign sketches in the plans or proposal book.

To the best of my knowledge, contract signage is done in three separate processes.

1.) There are statewide contracts for replacements of existing panel signs that are damaged. At one time, one company had a contract for the eastern half of the state, and a different company had a contract for the western half.

2.) Wholesale replacements of signs along a stretch of highway are done by contract bidding. I remember when signs were replaced along I-64 all the way from Lexington to the West Virginia state line. I believe this happened in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Many of the older signs had center tabs for the exit numbers and they were replaced by signage with flush right exit tabs.

3.) Individual highway projects may or may not include signs. If they do, the signs are shown in the plans and are done by a subcontractor. Some projects may call for panel signs only to be done by the contractor, and KYTC will install other signage. I noticed yesterday that the widening of I-75 between London and Corbin did not include new signs for Exit 29 (US 25/US 25E). This is unusual. Some of those signs still have center-mounted exit number tabs.

KYTC does not fabricate and install freeway extruded-panel signs. I can think of only one place where I have seen Clearview on a sign that appeared to be installed by state forces; and that was somewhere along KY 155 outside Louisville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

I was surprised the all of the old US 25/25E signs remained up - some of those date back several decades with their center tabs and what appears to be tacked on lettering (similar to what West Virginia used until more recently). Those old signs are so much more durable than what's being put out today with all of the vinyl lettering.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on May 31, 2022, 04:17:32 PM
I was surprised the all of the old US 25/25E signs remained up - some of those date back several decades with their center tabs and what appears to be tacked on lettering (similar to what West Virginia used until more recently). Those old signs are so much more durable than what's being put out today with all of the vinyl lettering.

Kentucky still uses demountable copy, even on Clearview signs. The mileage sign in Salyersville where US 460 eastbound makes a hard left at the Mountain Parkway's eastern end was replaced after it was destroyed in the 2012 tornado outbreak. A Clearview replacement was erected and you could very easily see the mounting rivets when stopped at that traffic light. The sign was removed during the recent widening of the Mountain Parkway/460 corridor.

I saw that the corner of one of those Exit 29 signs southbound was peeling off. Looks like at one point, Kentucky refaced the existing extruded-panel signs with sheeting; almost like mounting increment panels over an extruded-panel sign. Something similar was done for many of the signs between Lexington and Frankfort on I-64.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

That's probably what I saw. It looked like some of the extruded panels had been replaced with vinyl sheeting - they were in large rectangular segments rather than strips. But on more than quite a few signs, I saw lettering that lost all of its reflectivity - similar to what I've seen happen on some newer signs in West Virginia (they may be vinyl sheeting overlays).

US 89

Posted this in the Utah thread, but didn't realize this thread existed so I will crosspost it here:

Quote from: US 89 on June 11, 2022, 04:36:34 PM
It would appear that UDOT has in fact used Clearview font beyond the Legacy Parkway:

That hospital sign sure looks like Clearview to me. There are a few others just like it along 186 in the area; poking around on street view, it looks like they went up somewhere in the 2015-2017 time frame.

Also worth noting that "University Childrens" actually refers to two separate hospitals, the University of Utah and Primary Children's. Sign design could maybe be worked on some.

Henry

Among the states that used Clearview but no longer do:

AZ, IL, IA, OH, OK and WY

...and I suspect that more will follow.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Big John

Quote from: Henry on June 13, 2022, 08:15:45 PM

WI experimented with it and stopped a long time ago.

Avalanchez71

Scott5114

That's very horribly squished Helvetica.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

"Clearview" written in Clearview is pretty famous on the 10 in New Orleans:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bqc6n7ivJ3pvChjr8

PurdueBill

The Clearview Expressway in Queens has also managed to get some sign blades in Clearview relatively recently; fortunately the new BGS is more tasteful.

https://goo.gl/maps/aXdNavnHaHUovK7U6

Android

And this one in Fort Collins, I wonder if the tree was commenting on something...

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

tylert120

Why do you say that?

seicer

Scott5114

Quote from: tylert120 on June 19, 2022, 09:33:26 AM

Why do you say that?

I would imagine that the Schrödinger-esque nature of the Clearview IA, combined with the higher costs and studies showing it doesn't really provide as much of a benefit as originally believed, may lead states to distance themselves from it, unless they've glommed onto it as a matter of institutional identity like TxDOT seems to have done.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.