News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: empirestate on April 03, 2021, 07:24:43 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 27, 2021, 07:49:04 PM
Has anyone seen a funny VMS in North Carolina? Here, I have not seen any except the time travel or if there's an accident or AMBER alert, etc.

I should think a time traveling VMS would actually be quite droll.
Not to me.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 27, 2021, 07:49:04 PM
Has anyone seen a funny VMS in North Carolina? Here, I have not seen any except the time travel or if there's an accident or AMBER alert, etc.

"TRAFFIC PATTERNS CHANGE
I-70 OPENING 11/14/56"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

Last night I saw a VMS saying "EXSPECT DELAYS" and I was so distracted by the misspelling I didn't notice what else the sign said.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

empirestate

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 03, 2021, 07:46:09 PM
Not to me.

Maybe it depends whether you play it more H. G. Wells, or Marty McFly.

MCRoads

I've noticed a trend:, and I don't know if this is new, but:

I have seen a lot more VMSs at work zones lately simply showing

ROADWORK
AHEAD
USE CAUTION

This seems a rather pointless use of these signs. Most, if not all, drivers are aware that you need to slow down/pay attention. But moreover, I see them used where they are absolutely not needed. They are doing repairs to curbs/pavement near my house, on roads with a 20 mph speed limit, and a roundabout that forces you to go 10-15 mph. But, what do they have there? A sign pointlessly displaying such a message. Mind you, my neiborhood is designed in a way to eliminate thru traffic, so this sign is just telling people that live there that construction is happening. Why not but that sign to use saying something like:

XX RD CLOSED
FROM MAR XX
TO APR XX

USE DETOUR OF
XX LANE VIA
XX ST

Still somewhat pointless, but it actually tells you something you might not know.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

interstatefan990

Some NYC expressways have VMS messages that read something like this:

DELAYS TO I-XXX

or

DELAYS TO XXXXXX PKWY

It's a pretty simple message, but it's also vague enough to be pointless. One cannot drive in New York City and not expect delays. Plus, chances are, by the time you see this sign, you could be already slowed down and in traffic. The only time a message like this makes sense is when it is accompanied by specific travel times or travel information, like "DELAYS - 15 MIN TO GCP"  or "DELAYS - WORK ZONE - LANE CLOSURES AHEAD"
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Scott5114

I mean, "Delays to I-240" could be useful or not, depending on the meaning of to there. If I see that when I'm already on I-240, yeah, it's pretty vague and meaningless. If I'm northbound on I-35 and I see it (meaning delays on I-35 through I-240), then I'm gonna think about bailing out at Shields Boulevard and bypass the traffic jam.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

empirestate

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 04, 2021, 08:59:05 PM
I mean, "Delays to I-240" could be useful or not, depending on the meaning of to there. If I see that when I'm already on I-240, yeah, it's pretty vague and meaningless. If I'm northbound on I-35 and I see it (meaning delays on I-35 through I-240), then I'm gonna think about bailing out at Shields Boulevard and bypass the traffic jam.

But in the specific context of NYC, it's rarely feasible, by the time you see the message, to bail out and find any kind of a better route. You're either already in traffic (as noted above), or any nearby exits will just take you through congested neighborhoods. The finding of an alternate route is something that usually has to happen on the trip-planning level.

interstatefan990

Quote from: empirestate on April 05, 2021, 09:56:48 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 04, 2021, 08:59:05 PM

But in the specific context of NYC, it's rarely feasible, by the time you see the message, to bail out and find any kind of a better route. You're either already in traffic (as noted above), or any nearby exits will just take you through congested neighborhoods. The finding of an alternate route is something that usually has to happen on the trip-planning level.

^This is what I meant.

GaryV

Other far less than useful messages I've seen in Metro Detroit are along the lines of "Accident at Springwells, Left Lane Blocked".  All well and good if you know where Springwells is.  But if you're traveling, you probably don't know at all; if you don't drive that way often you probably only have a vague idea of where it is.  Why can't they give the exit number?

kphoger

Quote from: vtk on April 04, 2021, 01:35:13 PM
Last night I saw a VMS saying "EXSPECT DELAYS" and I was so distracted by the misspelling I didn't notice what else the sign said.

Some of the VMSes around Wichita lately have been saying "REDUCE TRAFFIC FATALITIES / DON'T DRIVE DISTRACTED".  I turned to my wife the other day and said, "Isn't there a fundamental problem with those signs telling you to not drive distracted?"
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

interstatefan990

I also don't understand why they abbreviate words on some VMSs when there is more than enough space to write out the entire word, like "EXP DLYS TO I-XXX + CRS BX PKWY". I recently drove past a COVID vaccination center, and a large VMS said "COVD VAX PKNG" on three separate lines.

wanderer2575

Quote from: GaryV on April 05, 2021, 02:46:18 PM
Other far less than useful messages I've seen in Metro Detroit are along the lines of "Accident at Springwells, Left Lane Blocked".  All well and good if you know where Springwells is.  But if you're traveling, you probably don't know at all; if you don't drive that way often you probably only have a vague idea of where it is.  Why can't they give the exit number?

I agree, and even less useful is the lack of information regarding impact on traffic.  Is there just a minor slowdown, or is traffic at a multi-mile-long standstill?

roadfro

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 06, 2021, 03:00:27 PM
I also don't understand why they abbreviate words on some VMSs when there is more than enough space to write out the entire word, like "EXP DLYS TO I-XXX + CRS BX PKWY". I recently drove past a COVID vaccination center, and a large VMS said "COVD VAX PKNG" on three separate lines.

For that first one, none of those are MUTCD-approved abbreviations, and "DLYS" I would presume would be disallowed (given that "DLY" is expressly forbidden due to the potential to confuse "delay" with "daily").

I assume the second one is a portable VMS. Most portable VMSs are fixed 8-character lines, so there is no reason to abbreviate "COVID" or "Parking" (the MUTCD-approved abbreviation is actually "PKING"). "VAX" is recognizable enough with "COVID" as a prompt, but you can still fit "VACCINE" on one line.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

oscar

Quote from: vtk on April 04, 2021, 01:35:13 PM

See also my post about "EXPERT DELAYS" and "EXCEPT DELAYS" VMSes near Bedford VA, many years ago. The first might've been an admission of what construction crews are really best at, but maybe both were just dyslexia.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

sprjus4

VDOT's 511 website claims the VMS along I-295 North at MM13 reads:
I-64
15 MILES
14 MIN
I-95
30 MILES
13 MIN
In order to travel the 30 miles in 13 minutes, a motorist would need to be traveling about 138.46 mph.

Big John

ONLY THE CASSEROLE
SHOULD BE BAKED
DON'T DRIVE HIGH

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Avalanchez71

Posted all over Massachusetts:
WEAR YOUR MASK

Wear your mask where?  Wear it in the car whilst driving?  Wear it outdoors on Cape Cod out of season with no one around?

tolbs17

CHANGING LANES???? USE YA BLINKAH

but I don't see these type of messages in North Carolina and New Jersey.

kphoger

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 04, 2021, 02:41:29 PM
Posted all over Massachusetts:
WEAR YOUR MASK

Wear your mask where?  Wear it in the car whilst driving?  Wear it outdoors on Cape Cod out of season with no one around?

While having sex, of course (not NSFW).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Massachusetts went full goober-boomer today with multiple May 4th things. So bad I don't even remember them, but there were three.

Meanwhile these messages were up after a major accident causing gridlock on US 3 in Billerica, so God forbid they adjust them to convey actual information that is important. At least you made a small subset of humanity giggle...

wanderer2575

Another MDOT (Michigan) winner.  The ramps from M-10 to eastbound M-8 are actually closed for the next week.  That would be a nice tidbit to know.  Instead, we're told about lane closures on a freeway we can't access.

MCRoads

Quote from: roadman on May 04, 2021, 02:37:59 PM
https://www.universalhub.com/2021/if-youre-doing-kessel-run-12-parsecs-watch-out#new
The funny thing is, that a Parsec is a unit of distance. That was never really explained in Star Wars, but there's probably some cannon explosion somewhere I just don't know.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MCRoads on May 05, 2021, 10:13:40 AM
Quote from: roadman on May 04, 2021, 02:37:59 PM
https://www.universalhub.com/2021/if-youre-doing-kessel-run-12-parsecs-watch-out#new
The funny thing is, that a Parsec is a unit of distance. That was never really explained in Star Wars, but there's probably some cannon explosion somewhere I just don't know.

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.