News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

It's time to revive the northern half of I-840

Started by I-39, July 21, 2015, 07:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Nashville has grown tremendously in the last decade since the northern half of I-840 (then TN-840) was shelved, and it will likely continue as people move to Tennessee from elsewhere. As a result of the growth, traffic in and around Nashville is getting progressively worse. Finishing the northern half of I-840 will allow traffic to bypass downtown Nashville and provide better connectivity for the growing suburbs of Nashville.

Yes, it will be costly, but I'm sure they could find creative ways to fund it. It is eventually going to be needed, so it's time for TN-DOT to revive this project before it's too late.

UPDATE as of 5/31/2020: I no longer believe this is necessary

iBallasticwolf2

Awesome that I-840 is approved. Will it get signed anytime soon?

I had an idea for funding in that the two Cumberland River Bridges could be tolled both ways to support maintenance similar to the infamous 8$ toll on the Susquehanna River I-95 bridge.

As a side note I could see the TN-386 freeway connected to the new I-840 freeway as part of the project.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

I-39

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 21, 2015, 08:49:19 PM

I had an idea for funding in that the two Cumberland River Bridges could be tolled both ways to support maintenance similar to the infamous 8$ toll on the Susquehanna River I-95 bridge.

As a side note I could see the TN-386 freeway connected to the new I-840 freeway as part of the project.

I'm not sure about when exactly I-840 will be signed. AASHTO approved it on May 15th, but the FHWA still has to approve it.

I am not a fan of tolling, but it may have to be considered here.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: I-39 on July 21, 2015, 09:18:07 PM

I'm not sure about when exactly I-840 will be signed. AASHTO approved it on May 15th, but the FHWA still has to approve it.

In that case the toll on each bridge could be low like 4 dollars. Since the new road is going to be an interstate it can at least get federal funding. Of course tolling may be the only solution for the bridges. Anyone want to chop at design?

SteveG1988

The I-95 bridge is a toll not for the bridge, but for the entire section of 95 from 695 to Delaware, as that is the JFK Memorial Highway, which is basically the MD turnpike.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 21, 2015, 09:42:32 PM

The I-95 bridge is a toll not for the bridge, but for the entire section of 95 from 695 to Delaware, as that is the JFK Memorial Highway, which is basically the MD turnpike.

The point is is that the toll for the road which is collected from the bridge supports the entire roadway. The I-840 north loop would have the two bridges be the toll collectors that support the entire freeway.

froggie

Current federal law would allow for Tennessee to toll all of a northern I-840 instead of just tolls on the bridges.  I would think this would be the preferred method.

That said, I disagree with the OP in this being a priority.  At best, it would only help a few long-distance drivers utilizing I-24 West or I-65 North.  Where the need/demand is in Nashville is closer to the core.

iBallasticwolf2

How about upgrading Briley Parkway to a freeway from I-40 to I-24. It already has interchanges.

froggie

Briley already is a freeway north of I-40 on both sides.  If you're referring to the segment near the airport, I believe there are some improvements proposed but I don't think it would result in a full freeway.  As it is, about a dozen years ago TDOT removed a couple of the loops at the 24/Briley interchange because of weaving concerns, making it a 6-ramp par-clo instead.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 10:02:49 AM
Briley already is a freeway north of I-40 on both sides.  If you're referring to the segment near the airport, I believe there are some improvements proposed but I don't think it would result in a full freeway.  As it is, about a dozen years ago TDOT removed a couple of the loops at the 24/Briley interchange because of weaving concerns, making it a 6-ramp par-clo instead.

Yes, I was referrencing the part near the Airport. I could see some improvments at the I-24/Briley Interchange.

Henry

As nice as it would be to have the northern half of I-840 built, it'll probably be a long time before it actually is, if ever. (And this is coming from someone who still wants I-494 built in his hometown.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

I-39

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 09:50:04 AM
Current federal law would allow for Tennessee to toll all of a northern I-840 instead of just tolls on the bridges.  I would think this would be the preferred method.

That said, I disagree with the OP in this being a priority.  At best, it would only help a few long-distance drivers utilizing I-24 West or I-65 North.  Where the need/demand is in Nashville is closer to the core.

Disagree 100%. It will be used to get to the growing suburbs of Nashville, like Franklin, Spring Hill, Smyrna, Lebanon, etc while bypassing downtown Nashville, where the traffic is getting progressively worse.

rte66man

Quote from: I-39 on July 22, 2015, 05:44:06 PM

Disagree 100%. It will be used to get to the growing suburbs of Nashville, like Franklin, Spring Hill, Smyrna, Lebanon, etc while bypassing downtown Nashville, where the traffic is getting progressively worse.

Not gonna happen. If I live in Greenbrier and want to go to Franklin, I'm NOT going to drive to Dickson to get there regardless of the traffic.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Avalanchez71

There is no political climate in Tennessee for the northern loop.  The idea of a toll bridge nearly cost an election for a state Senator some years ago.  I do not see any toll bridges anytime soon and the northern loop is history just like I-420 in Atlanta.

froggie

Quote from: I-39Disagree 100%. It will be used to get to the growing suburbs of Nashville, like Franklin, Spring Hill, Smyrna, Lebanon, etc while bypassing downtown Nashville, where the traffic is getting progressively worse.

rte66man pointed out the difficulty in the proposed northern loop routing.  Not worth it for the suburbs as it'd be too difficult to access.  Drivers closer in have Briley Pkwy as a bypass for downtown Nashville and through traffic has another bypass route:  the existing southern loop (TN 840).  In short, the "Northern Loop" is not worth it and TDOT would do far better to spend their money on other projects.

codyg1985

Widening I-65 between Vietnam Veterans and the Kentucky state line should be a higher priority. Also, adding capacity to the I-24/65 concurrency close to Nashville. As froggie mentioned, there are more needs closer to downtown. It would be nice for through traffic between I-65 north and I-24 east and I-40 west to have a bypass since there is a lot of truck traffic from I-65 going towards Memphis and Atlanta, but Briley Parkway could be used for that purpose. The western segment is underutilized at the moment, and a lot of that is probably due to the lack of signage directing through traffic to use it. Upgrading Briley south to I-24 would help a lot to remove through traffic from the downtown area, too. 

If I recall, I think part of the reasoning behind shelving it was due to environmental concerns. You are crossing the Cumberland River twice, and traversing more difficult terrain. It took a long time to finish TN 840 in western Williamson County partly due to that reason.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Won't the improvements to TN 109 effectively allow it to serve as a route between I-65 southbound to I-24 eastbound?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

InterstatesRules445

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 21, 2015, 10:26:58 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 21, 2015, 09:42:32 PM

I pretty sure it will be approve by FHWA. I think they will get the upgrade done right away. I-840 should be signed by 2019.

The point is is that the toll for the road which is collected from the bridge supports the entire roadway. The I-840 north loop would have the two bridges be the toll collectors that support the entire freeway.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 23, 2015, 02:33:27 PM
Won't the improvements to TN 109 effectively allow it to serve as a route between I-65 southbound to I-24 eastbound?

Yes this is correct.  There are very few red lights.

The Ghostbuster

I-39

Quote from: rte66man on July 22, 2015, 08:03:40 PM
Quote from: I-39 on July 22, 2015, 05:44:06 PM

Not gonna happen. If I live in Greenbrier and want to go to Franklin, I'm NOT going to drive to Dickson to get there regardless of the traffic.

But if I'm coming down I-24 from Illinois and want to get to Franklin, I most certainly would use I-840, especially if I want to avoid Nashville during rush hour.

froggie

And the likelihood of there being other drivers like you is rather small.  Certainly not worth the cost and environmental effect of a new northern loop freeway.

hbelkins

It would be interesting to know where the eastbound traffic on I-24 goes. How much of it stays on I-24, how much goes east on I-40 and how much goes south on I-65?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Just a stab in the dark, but I would guess 80% stays on I-24, 15% goes to I-65, and the other 5% goes on I-40.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

SteveG1988

Most of the time when i'm coming through there in the truck i'm on 65 connecting to 24, or 24 connecting to 65, or 40 going to 40, occasionally 40 to 65 north, rarely 40 to 65 south, as if i'm going to 65 south most of the time i'm actually going to use 22 to get to birmigham.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.