AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interstate 795 extension (NC)  (Read 37940 times)

tolbs17

• Last Login: Today at 04:06:01 PM
Re: Interstate 795 extension (NC)
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »

http://prntscr.com/117mc6w

This is why the I-795 project south of Goldsboro is more important compared to other projects.
Specifically a bypass of that area, not the entire corridor. Also, it shows there’s an accident which could cause unusual levels of congestion.
Yes, but still, can the project be done in phases if not all at once?
The bypass is likely the first phase, tying into the recently complete freeway segment (due to the two interchanges added) south of there. Anything south of Mt. Olive to I-40 will likely be last since it’s already a 55 mph (should be 60 mph) expressway.
I see. And these bridges will need to be replaced as well.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: September 26, 2021, 04:59:10 PM
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2021, 05:38:04 PM »

I have noticed that the new exits being built on US 117 do not have exit numbers. I would have thought, since the corridor is slated to become an extension of Interstate 795 eventually, that the new exits should have been numbered via the mileage of the future Interstate 795 extension.

tolbs17

« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2021, 05:46:54 PM »

I have noticed that the new exits being built on US 117 do not have exit numbers. I would have thought, since the corridor is slated to become an extension of Interstate 795 eventually, that the new exits should have been numbered via the mileage of the future Interstate 795 extension.
I'm sure they'll add them when I-795 DOES get extended which won't be awhile.

In the mean time, should they add noise walls over here?

LM117

• Last Login: Today at 04:17:05 PM
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2021, 10:02:26 AM »

This is why the I-795 project south of Goldsboro is more important compared to other projects.
Specifically a bypass of that area, not the entire corridor. Also, it shows there’s an accident which could cause unusual levels of congestion.

I used to live there off of Old Grantham Rd and drove through that spot every day and it sucked. It was almost always congested during rush hour, even moreso during the annual county fair in the fall (pre-COVID). I've seen many fender benders at that intersection.

In addition to taking thru traffic away from Mar-Mac, that bypass would provide a desperately needed second Neuse River crossing. When the Neuse River knocks the US-117 bridges out of commission, Wayne County is essentially cut in half. That's been a big problem in the past, particularly for those south of the river that suddenly couldn't get to Goldsboro, especially for those with medical emergencies. Having a second major crossing (ideally at a higher elevation) would be a big help. I never understood why NCDOT didn't consider the bypass to be top priority for I-795, given the obvious benefits of it.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

architect77

• Last Login: September 25, 2021, 03:30:41 PM
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »

I used to live there off of Old Grantham Rd and drove through that spot every day and it sucked. It was almost always congested during rush hour, even moreso during the annual county fair in the fall (pre-COVID). I've seen many fender benders at that intersection.

In addition to taking thru traffic away from Mar-Mac, that bypass would provide a desperately needed second Neuse River crossing. When the Neuse River knocks the US-117 bridges out of commission, Wayne County is essentially cut in half. That's been a big problem in the past, particularly for those south of the river that suddenly couldn't get to Goldsboro, especially for those with medical emergencies. Having a second major crossing (ideally at a higher elevation) would be a big help. I never understood why NCDOT didn't consider the bypass to be top priority for I-795, given the obvious benefits of it.

Because those benefits were in rare circumstances although I don't disagree that a 2nd crossing is important.

NCDOT just thinks like all of us do and doesn't want to spend so much for the what if scenarios.

tolbs17

« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2021, 06:09:53 PM »

When US-117 was signed on the freeway, I think it should have been signed as US-117 bypass.

bob7374

• Last Login: September 24, 2021, 11:54:14 PM
    • Bob Malme's Road Pages
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2021, 10:56:17 AM »

NCDOT announces repaving project for US 117 in Wayne County which includes widening shoulders for Future I-795 between the new Country Club Blvd. and O'Berry Road interchanges:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-08-31-us-117-repaving-wayne-county.aspx

LM117

• Last Login: Today at 04:17:05 PM
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2021, 12:32:48 PM »

NCDOT announces repaving project for US 117 in Wayne County which includes widening shoulders for Future I-795 between the new Country Club Blvd. and O'Berry Road interchanges:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-08-31-us-117-repaving-wayne-county.aspx

Would've made more sense to extend the shoulder widening to just north of NC-55, IMO, given the lack of at-grades.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.