News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Quote from: deanej on August 06, 2012, 10:25:00 AM
The article gets cut off for me.

I had to copy the headline and paste into Google News search. The resulting link brought up the entire article. I think WSJ is checking referrer in the header, so providing a direct link here won't work.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

shadyjay

I just hope they improve access to Union Station with this project - most likely with the extension of South Orange Street.  That hairpin turn as soon as you get off the highway has driven me crazy for years. 

So if I had to guess, the present expressway would hold together until after crossing the railroad yard, then the two carriageways would split into the present North/South Frontage Road alignment, with the first signalized intersection being South Orange Street.

As much as I hate to see an expressway torn down, I would have to agree with this project.  It's a shame they couldn't extend the expressway out to at least the Boulevard... up until a few years ago, all the land was still available and I'm sure they could've gone through the ground floor of the parking garage.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  It all means nothing now.

So if we're going to tear down an expressway stub and pretend like it never existed, then maybe that's the solution for CT 11.  Decomission it, close it, bury it, end of story.  Noone would even remember it existed.  That's what they did to the I-291 ramps and overpasses on I-91 in Rocky Hill. 

Duke87

Quote from: kurumi on August 06, 2012, 11:30:35 AM
Quote from: deanej on August 06, 2012, 10:25:00 AM
The article gets cut off for me.

I had to copy the headline and paste into Google News search. The resulting link brought up the entire article. I think WSJ is checking referrer in the header, so providing a direct link here won't work.

Tried that, still doesn't show. But forging the referrer so it sends wsj.com works. So yeah, they are checking the referrer.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on August 06, 2012, 06:25:43 PM

Tried that, still doesn't show. But forging the referrer so it sends wsj.com works. So yeah, they are checking the referrer.

how does one forge a referer?  I think NY Times works the other way; they paywall you if you click from within their own site, but if you come in from outside, they show you the whole thing.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

shadyjay

Duke87

southshore720

Quote from: shadyjay on August 06, 2012, 05:36:54 PM
So if we're going to tear down an expressway stub and pretend like it never existed, then maybe that's the solution for CT 11.

I'm still rooting for CT 11 - the TRUE "Road to Nowhere!"  Hell, I'm still rooting for the completion of highways for CT 25 and US 7 - even though I know pigs will fly and hell will freeze over before they are finally realized!

Alps

Quote from: southshore720 on August 07, 2012, 09:11:27 AM
Quote from: shadyjay on August 06, 2012, 05:36:54 PM
So if we're going to tear down an expressway stub and pretend like it never existed, then maybe that's the solution for CT 11.

I'm still rooting for CT 11 - the TRUE "Road to Nowhere!"  Hell, I'm still rooting for the completion of highways for CT 25 and US 7 - even though I know pigs will fly and hell will freeze over before they are finally realized!

Of all the unbuilt freeways in CT, 11 is the only one still alive, even if it's in a coma on life support.

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

NE2, he's within his rights to refer people in this thread to another thread. Sometimes two threads align with each other, especially where one is a catch-all like this.

shadyjay

Quote from: Steve on July 31, 2012, 08:26:17 PM
Quote from: southshore720 on July 31, 2012, 04:28:41 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on July 29, 2012, 10:06:07 PM
So just got back from a trip to CT to see the family.  I decided against driving and took the train, which made me forgo my road trip adventures that were planned for Friday (I-84 west of Waterbury, US 7, and Milford Parkway to see the new signage, Conn Turnpike to check out the new Milford service area and the new Q Bridge, etc). 

Does anyone know the exit number listing for the Milford Pkwy?  Any pictures?  I was down in the area this past week, but didn't get a chance to go on the connector.
No numbering. www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/milford

So we finally have field confirmation of exit numbers on the Milford Parkway, courtesy of the ConnDOT traffic cameras:

On the far right assembly, we can see the ramp to CT 15 North is Exit 3A.  The assembly in the foreground is the first advance signs for the turnpike and an exit tab is shown, presumably for Exit 2 (or 2A or 2B).  US 1, the southern end of the Milford Parkway, is Exit 1.

southshore720

Interesting...they removed the Merritt Pkwy and Wilbur Cross Pkwy distinctions from the signs and went solely with the destinations.  I wonder if there is a secondary assembly prior to the exits distinguishing the two?  Also, there is the exit for Wheelers Farm Road right before the 15S merge.  I wonder if this is Exit 4, or if it will remain un-numbered and be considered a spur of the new Exit 3B?

Duke87

Quote from: southshore720 on August 18, 2012, 01:23:12 PM
Interesting...they removed the Merritt Pkwy and Wilbur Cross Pkwy distinctions from the signs and went solely with the destinations.

For the sake of MUTCD compliance. You're not supposed to have both the name of a road and the name of a place on the same sign. ConnDOT is obeying this with all new signs now.

shadyjay

Quote from: southshore720 on August 18, 2012, 01:23:12 PM
Interesting...they removed the Merritt Pkwy and Wilbur Cross Pkwy distinctions from the signs and went solely with the destinations.  I wonder if there is a secondary assembly prior to the exits distinguishing the two?  Also, there is the exit for Wheelers Farm Road right before the 15S merge.  I wonder if this is Exit 4, or if it will remain un-numbered and be considered a spur of the new Exit 3B?

I was sent a copy of the signing plans for the Milford Parkway a few months ago.  Somehow, they went up missing on my computer.  I don't recall any ground-mounted or secondary signage distinquishing the two parkways.  Since the turnpike signs list no destinations but just "Merritt & W Cross Pkwys", it would make sense to see some sort of sign prior to the split. 

Lyle

Quote from: Duke87 on August 18, 2012, 01:36:52 PM
For the sake of MUTCD compliance. You're not supposed to have both the name of a road and the name of a place on the same sign.

Why is that? Sounds like a stupid rule to me!

shadyjay

For the sake of MUTCD compliance. You're not supposed to have both the name of a road and the name of a place on the same sign.

All the more reason why the parkway trailblazers should be posted on BGSs!  Or is that now illegal, too?  (thanks MUTCD)

Then again, there's only a handful of WCP trailblazers out in the wild - if you've never seen one, they're pretty much identical to the Merritt's, but without the mountain laurel and on a lighter blue background.

Roadsguy

I think you messed up your quoting code. Is all the text in the bottom quote except the last line your post?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

shadyjay

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 18, 2012, 05:19:40 PM
I think you messed up your quoting code. Is all the text in the bottom quote except the last line your post?

Fixed

ctsignguy

Quote from: shadyjay on August 18, 2012, 03:42:48 PM

All the more reason why the parkway trailblazers should be posted on BGSs!  Or is that now illegal, too?  (thanks MUTCD)

Then again, there's only a handful of WCP trailblazers out in the wild - if you've never seen one, they're pretty much identical to the Merritt's, but without the mountain laurel and on a lighter blue background.

Wilbur Cross.....

Old Merrittt....

Current Merritt

Seen a couple of odd-shaped WC markers, but failed to get piccys of either of them...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

kurumi

The mods might argue that any highway plan in CT will never be built, and thus belongs in Fictional Highways, but: here's an interesting proposal for an interchange at US 44 and CT 10 (eastern split) in Avon.

Link to PDF: http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents/deng/Improvement_Overview_Avon_10_44.pdf

The intersection is at the bottom of a long hill on US 44 westbound -- the site of several accidents. ConnDOT explored a few alternatives for grade separation, to eliminate the need for US 44 traffic to stop.

The first looked very much like a conventional freeway interchange, with gradually curving ramps and a commuter parking lot.

The preferred alternative (pictured) looks more like a Merritt Parkway solution, but modern and safer. The connecting roads act like ramps, but don't look like them; and the entries and exits to US 44 are for lower speeds. It seems they want to make clear that US 44 is not a freeway through the area. (It looks like there are curb cuts to a hotel and restaurant at right.) There are a lot of traffic lights, but none on 44.

Overall, I like the plan, and would like to see more non-freeway solutions like this (these are rare in CT). Add a pedestrian bridge east of the 44 WB offramp (between hotel and restaurant) and this could start to stitch together a nice village center that gets the benefits of a main traffic artery without all the drawbacks.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

KEVIN_224

Can I ask what interchange is pictured here? I haven't been to Avon in years and never have to deal with US Route 44. (I have been on the nasty hill that is Rattlesnake Mountain and US Route 6, though.)

kurumi

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 24, 2012, 12:15:08 PM
Can I ask what interchange is pictured here? I haven't been to Avon in years and never have to deal with US Route 44. (I have been on the nasty hill that is Rattlesnake Mountain and US Route 6, though.)

It's unbuilt. Current intersection is a 4-way between US 44 east, CT 10 south, US 44/CT 10 overlap to the west, and Nod Road to the north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.