News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

One of the pages linked mentions an Exit 14. Where is that, exactly?

yakra

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 15, 2014, 12:07:51 AM
http://montville-ct.patch.com/groups/corey-sipes-blog/p/more-details-emerge-for-i395-exit-renumbering
New Exit 14 is Old Exit 82 (West Town Street).
Or perhaps they meant to say Route 14 in the news release?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

vdeane

Quote from: doofy103 on April 14, 2014, 09:20:05 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 13, 2014, 10:50:45 PM
I was back on 91 this weekend after a long absence, and noticed that a tremendous amount of tree clearing has occurred in Middletown, in places the whole width of the median.

Anyone know why?

Last year it was cut back somewhat -- more in line with the usual kind of clearance you find for sight lines, etc.  This round is on a scale I only recall seeing on Mass. Route 3 when they rebuilt the whole highway.

I am pretty surprised to see what a deep ravine exists between the north and southbound carriageways.  You'd never have known when the trees were in there.

It goes back to the hurricane when people complained about too many trees causing power outages.  The DOT adapted it saying all trees must be clear 30FT from the road so cut down the possibility of trees falling into the road.

Of course on the Merritt they are planting NEW trees in the median, of course the Merritt is the one road in CT with the most tree falling deaths.   Blame the MPC
It would be weirder if the most falling tree deaths were on a road that trees couldn't fall on.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: yakra on April 15, 2014, 10:57:35 AM
http://montville-ct.patch.com/groups/corey-sipes-blog/p/more-details-emerge-for-i395-exit-renumbering
Holy crap the comments. Does no one realize the money is going toward SIGN REPLACEMENT, not EXIT NUMBER REPLACEMENT? Actually, one person does - and they would rather have no signs at all. Okay, I'll take the money, you can have your sign-free paradise. Good luck with that.

KEVIN_224

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Widening-Interstate-84-in-Waterbury-255397431.html

A vague article from channel 30 (NBC) of New Britain/Hartford, mentioning that I-84 will see a $400 million widening project starting for Waterbury in June. Most likely it's the area near the exit for CT Route 69. The road under that bridge and a short distance to the east is still only two lanes.

Duke87

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 15, 2014, 08:07:09 PM
A vague article from channel 30 (NBC) of New Britain/Hartford, mentioning that I-84 will see a $400 million widening project starting for Waterbury in June. Most likely it's the area near the exit for CT Route 69. The road under that bridge and a short distance to the east is still only two lanes.

About damn time, although the fact that that segment is referred to as the "last narrow stretch" is depressing. Still only 4 lanes between exits 7 and 19, that widening is needed too!

Also between the state line and I-684, but that's New York's problem which I don't see them addressing anytime soon since it would benefit Connecticut more than New York.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

KEVIN_224

Plus they just redid those bridges last fall at NY Exit 21 in Southeast. I don't know if they were 2 lanes for each side or 3.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on April 15, 2014, 10:31:05 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 15, 2014, 08:07:09 PM

About damn time, although the fact that that segment is referred to as the "last narrow stretch" is depressing. Still only 4 lanes between exits 7 and 19, that widening is needed too!

Also between the state line and I-684, but that's New York's problem which I don't see them addressing anytime soon since it would benefit Connecticut more than New York.
As crappy as the NY stretch of I-84 is, I've found that the delays generally stem from only having 3 lanes between Exits 4 and 7, with US 7's traffic thrown onto I-84.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on April 15, 2014, 11:49:24 PM
As crappy as the NY stretch of I-84 is, I've found that the delays generally stem from only having 3 lanes between Exits 4 and 7, with US 7's traffic thrown onto I-84.

Or simply the fact that that stretch is also the middle of Danbury and cities create traffic.

More than 3 lanes would help things there, but man, that is difficult to get Connecticut to do.

JimmyI395

Quote from: Alps on April 15, 2014, 06:21:28 PM
Quote from: yakra on April 15, 2014, 10:57:35 AM
Holy crap the comments. Does no one realize the money is going toward SIGN REPLACEMENT, not EXIT NUMBER REPLACEMENT? Actually, one person does - and they would rather have no signs at all. Okay, I'll take the money, you can have your sign-free paradise. Good luck with that.

These people that commented on that article are so stupid. Nobody will know what exit to take because the numbers will be different. Really! Then I saw somebody wrote that the A. and B. instead of N. S. is stupid too. I guess nobody been outside of Connecticut and seen what other states do.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on April 16, 2014, 10:55:14 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 15, 2014, 11:49:24 PM

Or simply the fact that that stretch is also the middle of Danbury and cities create traffic.

More than 3 lanes would help things there, but man, that is difficult to get Connecticut to do.

The widening plans are basically what is there now, same footprint but with an extra 4th lane reducing to 3-lanes between the US-7 interchanges.

I want the extra lane but I think traffic backs up mainly because of people changing lanes because the left-lane drops and exits for (Left) Exit 7 on I-84 EB and from traffic merging on from US-7 South onto I-84 West.  With that merge, the US-7 South onramp to I-84 WB really shouldn't back up as that is where the 3rd lane begins, so no merging is needed.  But drivers merge left into the I-84 center and left lanes causing the slow down.  Sometimes back to Exit 11.

unless they put the US-7 ramps on the right and get rip of the lane drop through the interchanges, the same traffic patterns and backups will remain.  Another example of CT taking the easy, cheap way out and being unambitious.  If they do it right and do it right the first time, we wouldn't have these problems.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

connroadgeek

I would guess that last comment was a bit of a joke. There's always someone that wants to make everything into a political statement. I think the public sees this $9M project and doesn't believe there will be any benefit. They are mostly right, and as a few others commented, there are certainly better and more effective ways to spend that money.

southshore720

I can't read the signs on I-395 at night...the replacement is completely worth the $$$!  CT DOT's decision way back when to put reflective button copy on semi-reflective background was absolutely stupid.  THAT was the waste of money!

shadyjay

I believe the signs on I-395 date back to 1985. 

I was driving on CT 9 two nights ago and some of the button copy signage is still relatively readable at night.  That signage I believe was installed sometime between 1985 and 1988, since I remember that signage in place prior to Route 9 being extended beyond I-91, and that happened in December 1989.  CT 2 and CT 9 still are mostly 100% button copy, outside of spot sign replacements here n' there.  I-95 is scheduled to lose the majority of its button copy over the next few years according to long-range DOT contracts.  But still nothing to replace the old I-84 signage in E. Hartford/Manchester. 

cpzilliacus

That will work when all motor vehicles are self-driving.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Re: reflective-background button copy signs, drive through NJ some night. Signs date to the early 90s along I-287 (north of US 22, that's a good 53 miles), I-80 (east of NJ 15 for about 50 miles), and I-295 (dwindling in number, but still there south of I-76 for 26 miles). 20 years later, they're still readable at night by and large. (You will find examples that aren't - I-287 east of Somerset in particular, but for all I know those were installed a few years earlier.) Since signs are only designed to last about 12 years before replacement, 20 says to me that there's no inherent fault with reflective-background button copy, it's just that they're not properly maintained and left out there beyond their design life.
(Incidentally, the design life is tied to reflective material losing its reflectivity. So the really old non-reflective background signs are still performing about the same after 50-60 years, as long as the buttons stay clean.)

connroadgeek

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 20, 2014, 01:19:04 PM

That will work when all motor vehicles are self-driving.
To be fair most have GPSes built in to the car, or the kind you stick on your windshield, or your cell phone, so the notion that without the new signs people won't know how far it is to the next exit is kind of silly. I will say if there ever was a highway in this state where a renumbering makes sense, it is definitely I-395, and the numbers will change so drastically that there is no chance of confusion between old and new exit numbers as the lowest current exit number is higher than the highest new exit number. I would also probably sign it as I-395 TO I-90 instead of the current little TO Mass Pike signs they have just before the exit.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on April 21, 2014, 08:10:24 PM
Since signs are only designed to last about 12 years before replacement, 20 says to me that there's no inherent fault with reflective-background button copy, it's just that they're not properly maintained and left out there beyond their design life.
(Incidentally, the design life is tied to reflective material losing its reflectivity. So the really old non-reflective background signs are still performing about the same after 50-60 years, as long as the buttons stay clean.)

This does beg a somewhat different question, though: if reflective sheeting turns to shit after 20 years, but button copy still performs reliably after 50 years, what kind of impact does that have on costs? I can see where button copy might be more expensive to fabricate, but is the total cost of it, including installation, more than 2.5x that of reflective sheeting? If not, then the new technology has a higher lifecycle cost and thus one could fairly ask for non-roadgeeky reasons: is the functional benefit worth the extra cost?

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on April 21, 2014, 10:21:30 PM
Since signs are only designed to last about 12 years before replacement, 20 says to me that there's no inherent fault with reflective-background button copy, it's just that they're not properly maintained and left out there beyond their design life.

This does beg a somewhat different question, though: if reflective sheeting turns to shit after 20 years, but button copy still performs reliably after 50 years, what kind of impact does that have on costs? I can see where button copy might be more expensive to fabricate, but is the total cost of it, including installation, more than 2.5x that of reflective sheeting? If not, then the new technology has a higher lifecycle cost and thus one could fairly ask for non-roadgeeky reasons: is the functional benefit worth the extra cost?

Letters floating on a non-reflective background is just not nearly as visible as a fully reflective sign. The tradeoff is cost vs. quality/technology.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Alps on April 21, 2014, 11:31:47 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on April 21, 2014, 10:21:30 PM

Letters floating on a non-reflective background is just not nearly as visible as a fully reflective sign. The tradeoff is cost vs. quality/technology.

I think it depends on location to a certain extent.

This sign dates to 1969-1970....still there and looks fine.

but then you have this from the same era:

Overall non-reflective is easier to read b/c of the contrast.

Some of the reflective button copy signs, the letters look black.

Also, I noticed on I-95 NB, there are 2 demountable copy BGSs around Exit 26 and one was from 2002 and one from 2011 or so.  The one from 2002, is half as bright as the 2011 signage. 

Mergingtraffic

http://www.rt8bridgeport.com/Home.html

Check it out.  It means some of the "Bridge Clearance" signs on Lindley St will be torn down.

Duke87

QuoteThe seven span Lindley Street Bridges will be replaced with a new 2 span steel beam bridge.  The other five spans on the Lindley Street bridges will be eliminated and replaced with earth fill.

Welp, looks like Laidlaw can kiss a lot of their parking goodbye. Wonder where they're going to move all those school buses to?

Mergingtraffic

Whaddya think?  It says more funding allocated and more DOT engineers sought.

FOR RELEASE: April 15, 2014 FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
TELEPHONE: (860) 594-3062
FAX: (860) 594-3065
WEB SITE: www.ct.gov/dot 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOV. MALLOY: 5-YEAR TRANSPORTATION CAPITAL INFRASTRUCTURE PLAN WILL CONTINUE INVESTMENTS TO STRENGTHEN AND UPGRADE STATE BRIDGES, HIGHWAYS AND RAIL SYSTEMS AND CREATE THOUSANDS OF JOBS

(WATERBURY, CT) — Governor Dannel P. Malloy, joined by U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal, U.S. Senator Chris Murphy, U.S. Representative Elizabeth Esty (CT-5)., Mayor Neil O'Leary, state Department of Transportation (ConnDOT) Commissioner James P. Redeker, state lawmakers, representatives from the Connecticut Business and Industry Association (CBIA), and members of the state building trades, today announced several of the state's investments in major highway, bridge and rail projects as part of ConnDOT's 2014-2018 Transportation Capital Infrastructure Program. The Governor made the announcement at the site of one of the Capital Program's major projects, the widening of the I-84 corridor in Waterbury, which is set to begin construction this year.

"We have invested millions in our roads, bridges and railways over the last three years and have an ambitious five-year plan in place to continue upgrading and strengthening our transportation infrastructure well into the future,"  said Governor Malloy. "These projects will facilitate commerce, stimulate economic development, improve the daily commutes of countless residents and create thousands of immediate construction jobs."

Earlier this year, Governor Malloy proposed a state transportation budget for 2015 that represents a 165 percent increase in funding compared to 2010 levels and includes about $1.4 billion to fund the largest transportation capital program in Connecticut's history. The Governor's 2015 transportation budget also restores the dedication of the State Transportation Fund solely for transportation purposes. The Governor also noted that his budget — now being considered by the General Assembly — calls for the hiring of 75 ConnDOT engineers to move projects through the design and bid process more quickly.

"Investment in infrastructure create a positive flow of goods, services and job creation - the result is a positive impact on Connecticut and its citizens,"  said David Roche, President of the Connecticut State Building Trades. "Our workers look forward to doing their part to upgrading and rebuilding our highways, roads and bridges for a better Connecticut."

"A modern and efficient transportation infrastructure has long been cited as one of the key components of a competitive business climate,"  said John R. Rathgeber, president and chief executive officer of the Connecticut Business and Industry Association. "As Connecticut strives to be one of the best states to do business, these investments are critical to accessing regional, national and global markets."

"As the investments that have already been made by Governor Malloy come on line, people are returning to work and this is the time to step-up the momentum and take the construction industry's ability to drive jobs and economic activity to scale,"  said Don Shubert, President of the Connecticut Construction Industries Association. "These projects not only provide local jobs, but once the improvements are in place, all of the benefits go to Connecticut residents. These much needed transportation improvements provide opportunities, change lives, and build stronger communities."

ConnDOT anticipates the availability of approximately $1.8 billion in the total Capital Program funding in Federal Fiscal Year 2014 for all transportation modes. This amount includes approximately $345 million for bus and rail assets and $1.4 billion available for highway and bridge infrastructure. In its 2013 Capital Program, ConnDOT committed approximately $1.6 billion for all transportation modes — road and bridge, railroad and bus and other public transit. The 2.7-mile I-84 widening project will add a third lane in each direction through Waterbury and is one of dozens of projects in ConnDOT's five-year capital plan. Other major projects include:

Replacement of the I-84 Hartford viaduct
Q Bridge replacement (I-95 New Haven)
Moses Wheeler Bridge replacement (I-95 Stratford)
Putnam Bridge rehabilitation (Route 3 Glastonbury)
Rehabilitation of Merritt Parkway in Stamford
Operational improvements on I-95 in Norwalk

"Jobs and economic growth depend on safe and reliable roads, bridges and railroads-- and all transportation-- requiring sound, sustained investment,"  said Senator Blumenthal. "I applaud the state for this wise and substantial investment. As chair of the Surface Transportation subcommittee, I will continue to fight to ensure that federal transportation investment keeps up with our state's needs and priorities, particularly with regards to our commuter rail system, which has gone far too long without sorely needed safety upgrades and investments."

"Our roads, rails, and bridges are the critical arteries we use every hour of every day to move people and goods around our state,"  said Senator Murphy. "These investments create jobs now and are crucial to the long-term strength of our economy -- I applaud Governor Malloy for making them."  

"Investment in our transportation infrastructure is critical for long-term economic growth and our state's competitiveness,"  said Congresswoman Esty. "As a member of the U.S. House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, I've been working to increase investments to improve our aging roads, bridges, and railroads. The widening of the I-84 corridor, as well as the other construction projects funded through the Capital Program, will reduce traffic on our roads, increase productivity for local businesses, and put people back to work."

"Governor Malloy has once again stepped up to address issues that are so critical to Waterbury's future,"  said Mayor Neil O'Leary.  "This project ultimately will reduce traffic congestion on the highway, making access into and out of Waterbury easier than ever.  As the city continues attracting new manufacturing businesses, efficient transportation will be vital."

DOT Commissioner James P.  Redeker said that in addition to highway and bridge improvements, the capital plan calls for millions more in investments in the New Haven commuter rail line — the busiest in the country — and the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield rail corridor, which will offer enhanced intercity passenger service beginning in 2016.  The state invested $10 million to upgrade the power supply for the New Haven Line, which was successfully completed in February, giving full back-up power redundancy for the east- and westbound lines.

Last week, Governor Malloy announced that Connecticut has applied for $600 million in federal transportation funding to help cover the capital costs of three resiliency, or "hardening,"  projects central to the Metro-North's commuter rail infrastructure.

Mergingtraffic

Also talk of tolls now that Obama wants to loosen the restrictions of tolls.  But, read the stupid comments in the article.  Even though they said electronic tolls, people still think of booths and the 1983 Stratford accident.  New Hampshire had a similar accident and they never removed tolls.  Also, neighboring states also have had no incidents day in and day out.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20140501/connecticut-highway-tolls-may-result-from-white-house-policy-change

KEVIN_224

Connecticut's last toll was removed after a 1983 crash in Stratford that killed six and injured four more.

Wow! So wrong! Try the Charter Oak Bridge's East Hartford side in 1989.  :banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.