August 5, 2017 Twin Cities meet

Started by froggie, October 14, 2016, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is(are) the best weekend(s) for you to attend a summer 2017 Twin Cities meet?

July 15-16
July 22-23
July 29-30
August 5-6

froggie

Or in my case, more time for family...

cl94

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 29, 2017, 09:04:15 PM
Kinda makes sense - 'sides, more time for ROADS anyway. :sombrero:

Muh roads! Yeah, I'll be spending Friday night clinching crap I won't get on the meet if I have time after sightseeing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

What do you plan to see while sightseeing?

cl94

Quote from: froggie on July 29, 2017, 09:37:00 PM
What do you plan to see while sightseeing?

Probably the standard tourist stuff for Minneapolis. Hitting up Mall of America and the Institute of Art after my plane lands Thursday. Friday will be Minnehaha Falls, downtown, the sculpture garden, old bridges, the ruins park downtown. Might swing by the Mill City Museum. If I see something else that looks interesting, I'll stop. Any suggestions?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

froggie

- Chain of Lakes (we'll be driving around parts of Calhoun and Harriet, but not all of it)
- Twin Cities Model Railroad Museum in St. Paul (off University Ave)
- U of M campus
- Fort Snelling

Mdcastle

As for old bridges what about the Old Cedar Bridge or the Holmes Street bridge?

hbelkins

Things are looking up. I'm back on my feet, although it's painful. Since I planned to leave after work Tuesday afternoon, I will evaluate my situation tomorrow night and make a decision. My biggest issues are going to be getting gear into and out of my hotel rooms. I may not be able to do much walking during the stops on the meet if I make it, but that's OK.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 30, 2017, 02:23:48 PM
Things are looking up. I'm back on my feet, although it's painful. Since I planned to leave after work Tuesday afternoon, I will evaluate my situation tomorrow night and make a decision. My biggest issues are going to be getting gear into and out of my hotel rooms. I may not be able to do much walking during the stops on the meet if I make it, but that's OK.

Need me to bring my walking cane for you (he says half joking/half serious)?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

HB has posted on Facebook that he's out for this meet.  Too much leave time burned in his gout recovery.

In the meantime, after doing some scouting this past week, I'll be making some minor revisions to the itinerary, especially after I check MnDOT's planned weekend lane/ramp closures.

Highway63

I'm in. Have hotel by Mall of America. I'm likely to go to the Friday Twins game anyway; they're under .500 and I've been told there are typically sellers outside.

froggie

I've updated the itinerary with construction closure information, a slight tweak to one stop, and a tweak to our return trip to the starting point.  A reminder that I will NOT have printed copies of the itinerary at the meet...I'm unable to get to a decent color printer.  Best bet is to download the PDF onto your smart device.  A link to the PDF is here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8JSIe7oXl3WV2gxOEJIcXhxUEE

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on August 01, 2017, 11:43:04 PM
HB has posted on Facebook that he's out for this meet.  Too much leave time burned in his gout recovery.

There was a window of about 12 hours Monday evening/Tuesday morning that it looked like I would be able to make it, and was making preparations for the trip, but the opportunity vanished.

Quote from: US71 on August 01, 2017, 11:49:21 AM
Need me to bring my walking cane for you (he says half joking/half serious)?

Recovery is about 100 percent, thanks to Colcrys (a great medication, but it took awhile to be fully effective) and I had planned on bringing one of my dad's old crutches with me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on August 02, 2017, 10:25:27 PM
Recovery is about 100 percent, thanks to Colcrys (a great medication, but it took awhile to be fully effective)

Great to hear! Wish you a speedy recovery.

Quote from: froggie on August 02, 2017, 12:13:07 PM
I've updated the itinerary with construction closure information, a slight tweak to one stop, and a tweak to our return trip to the starting point.  A reminder that I will NOT have printed copies of the itinerary at the meet...I'm unable to get to a decent color printer.  Best bet is to download the PDF onto your smart device.  A link to the PDF is here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8JSIe7oXl3WV2gxOEJIcXhxUEE

Unless there are any more major changes between now and the meet, I already printed a copy for myself, so no problem there. If there are more changes, I'll just bring my tablet to the meet and use that, but if MN's laws are anything like those in NY, even touching a tablet while in the driver's seat is a massive fine and a large amount of points.

froggie

I would think that you'd either be a passenger, or whomever is a passenger with you would be able to utilize said tablet.  I'm not allowing any solo drivers at the meet because parking is too tight at a couple of our stops.

US71

Quote from: froggie on August 03, 2017, 08:30:16 AM
I would think that you'd either be a passenger, or whomever is a passenger with you would be able to utilize said tablet.  I'm not allowing any solo drivers at the meet because parking is too tight at a couple of our stops.
I dont mind napping between stops

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

To all who came to the meet, thank you!  It was a larger group than expected...I was looking at 12-14 and we wound up with 18, including a spouse and two fathers.

I anticipate posting a meet photo (taken on the #9 bridge with the 10th Ave and I-35W bridges and the downtown skyline in the background) once I settle back in Vermont....probably later Tuesday or Wednesday.

Duke87

After further observation I can provide an answer to the question that was raised about the "LOOK" signs on the light rail. The lights in them that flash are red, not yellow. What flashes is not plain lights, though, it is the text "SECOND TRAIN".

This text, naturally, only flashes when two trains are approaching the crossing from opposite directions. When there is only one train the LOOK signs do not flash. There is, however, always some other method of warning when a train is approaching.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

Big thanks to froggie for hosting this thing. Excellent mix of sights and more uneven land than I would have ever expected in the Midwest.

Quote from: Duke87 on August 06, 2017, 10:48:09 PM
After further observation I can provide an answer to the question that was raised about the "LOOK" signs on the light rail. The lights in them that flash are red, not yellow. What flashes is not plain lights, though, it is the text "SECOND TRAIN".

This text, naturally, only flashes when two trains are approaching the crossing from opposite directions. When there is only one train the LOOK signs do not flash. There is, however, always some other method of warning when a train is approaching.

The Green Line generally uses a flashing train pictogram with arrows pointing in opposite directions to convey the same message. Regardless of whether or not the sign flashes, there is an audible warning at all crossings and generally a ped signal, with crossings where the train doesn't run down the middle of the road typically having standard 4-quadrant gates and flashing lights (both streets and path crossings). Preemption is similar to emergency vehicles, with the flashing white light on signal masts.

A lot of right turn signals across the tracks are 4 sections, with both a red ball and red arrow. Red arrow only comes on when a train is approaching. Blank-out "no right turn" signs turn on as well.

froggie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.