News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Utah

Started by andy3175, May 20, 2017, 04:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compdude787

Quote from: US 89 on September 02, 2020, 06:30:17 PM

Only sad part: after this project is complete, there will be no more original 1960s interstate concrete remaining in Utah. Those parts of I-80 and I-215 opened in 1967 and 1969 respectively. There is still some original concrete on I-15 in Davis County, but none of it is older than 1970.

Don't see that as a bad thing at all. It's good that Utah actually is replacing their concrete pavement.

You should come to Seattle, where there is still original concrete pavement on I-5 from when the freeway opened in 1962. Although it was ground down ten years ago it's still really old and there are cracks everywhere.

US 89

Quote from: compdude787 on September 03, 2020, 01:07:51 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 02, 2020, 06:30:17 PM
Only sad part: after this project is complete, there will be no more original 1960s interstate concrete remaining in Utah. Those parts of I-80 and I-215 opened in 1967 and 1969 respectively. There is still some original concrete on I-15 in Davis County, but none of it is older than 1970.

Don't see that as a bad thing at all. It's good that Utah actually is replacing their concrete pavement.

You should come to Seattle, where there is still original concrete pavement on I-5 from when the freeway opened in 1962. Although it was ground down ten years ago it's still really old and there are cracks everywhere.

I think of original concrete like button copy signage. From the perspective of a driver, is it good when those get replaced with more modern, reflective signs? Probably. But that doesn't mean it's not sad to see them go.

US 89

From UDOT News: NEW I-80 EXIT-ONLY LANE PROJECT TO BE COMPLETED SIX MONTHS EARLY

QuoteExit-only lane from S.R. 201 to S.R. 36 will improve access for Tooele County drivers

A new exit-only lane on westbound I-80 between S.R. 201 and S.R. 36 in Tooele County is scheduled to open tomorrow morning – six months early. This new “auxiliary” lane, designed to provide additional space for entering or exiting the interstate, will improve traffic flow and reduce delays for drivers in the area. 

Crews were able to compete the project early because materials for the project became available sooner than expected. The original plan had construction pausing for the winter and finishing in spring 2021, but the contractor on the project was able to speed up work and open the lane six months ahead of schedule.

“Tooele County is growing fast, and this area is a choke point, where a small crash can cause major delays,” said Oanh Le-Spradlin, UDOT project manager. “Our goal is to provide a smoother, safer trip for drivers, so we wanted to get this lane opened as quickly as possible.”

Despite its relatively short length (about two miles), the project is expected to deliver major benefits for drivers. UDOT traffic engineers calculate that the additional lane will reduce delays by up to five times in incidents where a westbound lane is blocked on the interstate between S.R. 201 and S.R. 36.

The project is unique in several ways. Designers and field workers used digital 3-D models for most of the work instead of traditional paper plans, which saved time, improved precision, and reduced waste. In a further effort to improve efficiency and reduce environmental impacts, more than 3,600 cubic yards of old concrete were crushed up and repurposed to build the new auxiliary lane. And when construction required the closure of the former view area along westbound I-80, the project team partnered with the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers and other organizations to move two historical markers previously located there to a new site near Saltair. 

The I-80 westbound auxiliary lane project is one of UDOT’s Top 10 projects for 2020 and is one of several improvements recently completed or under construction along I-80 in this area. UDOT continues to work closely with local governments to prioritize and develop projects to meet Tooele County’s unique transportation needs.

This is huge. The section of I-80 between SR 36 and SR 201 is the busiest interstate segment in Utah that had never been widened beyond its original four lanes. Traffic can be pretty bad there even during the day - and if there was an accident during rush hour, delays could reach several hours. (I had a friend who lived in Tooele who would routinely be more than 2 hours late to Salt Lake because of accidents in that bottleneck area.)

Hopefully they'll add an eastbound auxiliary lane as well in the coming years, but what would help more than anything is an alternative to I-80 - the current detour if I-80 is closed is to go all the way down to SR 73. There is talk of extending SR 201 to 36, but that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.

JKRhodes

This is huge. The section of I-80 between SR 36 and SR 201 is the busiest interstate segment in Utah that had never been widened beyond its original four lanes. Traffic can be pretty bad there even during the day - and if there was an accident during rush hour, delays could reach several hours. (I had a friend who lived in Tooele who would routinely be more than 2 hours late to Salt Lake because of accidents in that bottleneck area.)

Hopefully they'll add an eastbound auxiliary lane as well in the coming years, but what would help more than anything is an alternative to I-80 - the current detour if I-80 is closed is to go all the way down to SR 73. There is talk of extending SR 201 to 36, but that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.

With the amount of growth in Tooele county I can see the need to have this stretch of I-80 eventually widened as wide as I-15 at the Point of the Mountain.The first time I drove it, I was honestly shocked to see so few lanes on the sole direct route serving such a rapidly growing area. 

If they can't squeeze an extra roadway in between 201 and 36, I think would definitely behoove the state to add contraflow lanes to I-80 in order to accommodate for rush hour traffic, accidents, etc.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: JKRhodes on September 30, 2020, 07:20:04 PM

With the amount of growth in Tooele county I can see the need to have this stretch of I-80 eventually widened as wide as I-15 at the Point of the Mountain.The first time I drove it, I was honestly shocked to see so few lanes on the sole direct route serving such a rapidly growing area. 

If they can't squeeze an extra roadway in between 201 and 36, I think would definitely behoove the state to add contraflow lanes to I-80 in order to accommodate for rush hour traffic, accidents, etc.

Especially considering that they are going to build Midvalley Highway in the next 20 years possibly out to a full freeway, it would help to future-proof those lanes in both directions a fair bit.

US 89

UDOT has recently completed a preliminary environmental assessment for a new interchange on I-15 at 1600 North/2700 South in southern Utah County, between the existing interchanges at US 6 and SR 77.

According to the preferred alternative map, in addition to the new SPUI, the project would realign all the frontage roads in the area and construct a new auxiliary lane on I-15 between the new interchange and US 6.

It would also include a whole bunch of improvements to 16th North/27th South itself (maybe they should come up with a single name for that road, too). As currently proposed, the entire length from Spanish Fork Main Street (SR 115) to State Street (SR 51) would be widened to four lanes plus a center turn lane, with a new sidewalk and multi-use trail next to the roadway. A grade separation is also proposed at the Union Pacific's Sharp subdivision (the western of the two railroad crossings); interestingly, the Tintic branch won't get a separation, but that line gets much less rail traffic and it looks like they're trying to combine it with the Sharp line.

Based on the amount of improvements planned for 16th North/27th South - especially the new railroad bridge - I would not be surprised if it ended up as a new state highway.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Didn't get a chance to snap pictures, but I was driving for the first time in a long time on I-15 North from Bangerter Highway to 9000 South, and I was pleased to see that the bridge over 9000 South, built for the new CD lanes to I-215 starting from 9400 South (https://www.udot.utah.gov/i15northbound/), was completed with pavement. Looks to be opened by the advertised early 2021 date on time, but it will be cool to see the eventual end product of local lanes from Bangerter north. This section of I-15 is nothing like I remember it 15 years ago when I was a little kid looking at all the signs.

Kniwt

St. George News reports that funds have been approved to start work on a new exit along SR 7 at 3650 South (presumably Exit 12) in Washington City:
https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2020/12/26/mgk-funding-approval-paves-way-for-new-southern-parkway-interchange-in-washington-city/

QuoteDuring its Dec. 16 meeting, the Dixie Metropolitan Planning Organization’s Transportation Executive Council approved $2.9 million for the construction of the 3560 South-Southern Parkway interchange. This funding will include a $214,200 match from Washington City.

... Though the project may be getting underway soon, Shaw said residents shouldn’t expect to see construction begin for at least another two to three years. It will take up to one year just to get the design phase completed, he said.

... The upcoming interchange will serve the eastern part of Washington City, particularly the Washington Fields area, as it provides more convenient access to the St. George Regional Airport and Interstate 15 without having to travel through town. The interchange will also provide easier access for patrons of the Red Cliffs Utah Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

(The satellite imagery in that diagram is very out of date. The housing now extends many more blocks to the east, north, and south.)

SR 7 is still just a Super-2 in that section. But new housing developments have rapidly grown almost to the edge of the freeway, which was nearly desolate just a few years ago.

Meanwhile, work continues in Hurricane on the extension of SR 7 from Sand Hollow Road to SR 9. About the first mile east of Sand Hollow was recently paved, and most of the remainder has been graded, with bridge work still in progress. Two-way traffic at Sand Hollow is now using a new eastbound exit ramp. The anticipated January-February opening would appear to be unlikely.

Plutonic Panda

I drove the Southern Park as far as I could and I didn't know they were still working on it. I also heard Utah will consider a billion plus dollar package to fund transportation projects so that will be nice. Utah is really staying on top of it. I'm considering buying a place in Moab I love it there so much.

US 89

Is the east end of the new Southern Parkway segment just going to be a regular at-grade intersection at SR 9? I'm not finding any maps or proposed alignments other than the general UDOT project page.

If so, I hope UDOT is preserving ROW for any potential upgrades down the road. They did not do that with Bangerter in SLC.

Kniwt

Quote from: US 89 on December 30, 2020, 12:36:25 AM
Is the east end of the new Southern Parkway segment just going to be a regular at-grade intersection at SR 9?

It's a diamond interchange with grade separation, presumably with traffic signals. Here are a couple photos from November, so there's been a bit more work since then. First, looking east from the top of the interchange toward Hurricane. Not shown are the ramps on the west side, which are somewhat long and on a grade of about 6% due to the terrain:

And looking south at the new SR 7 (in the middle, slightly uphill). As of last week, the grading was mostly complete, but no pavement had been laid:

Kniwt

Here are some more pictures of the new SR 7 and SR 9 interchange in Hurricane. All pictures taken 1/1/2021.

Looking east from SR 9:

Looking east from the ramp from SR 9 to SR 7:

Looking south on SR 7:

Looking west from SR 9:

US 89

I'm just now getting to some photos I took this past spring during the height of COVID. One weekend in April, I drove up to the Golden Spike historic site - while the visitor center was of course closed, all the hikes and scenic drives were open. At the Big Fill Loop Trailhead, I came across this ancient state highway right-of-way marker:

Even more interesting is this isn't even a state highway today...but between 1935 and 1962, 7200 North (Golden Spike Drive) was part of SR 83. I would imagine this marker dates from the earlier part of that time frame.

Kniwt

The Spectrum of St. George reports that the controversial "Northern Corridor" project near St. George has been given the federal OK to proceed.
https://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/2021/01/14/northern-corridor-gets-approved-environmental-groups-pledge-fight/4160228001/

QuoteWashington County and the Utah Department of Transportation were given the OK from the Trump administration on Thursday to punch a four-lane highway through part of the Red Cliffs National Conservation Area.

Dubbed the Northern Corridor, the highway would connect Interstate 15 in the east with Red Cliffs Drive in the west, helping solve a growing traffic problem, according to county officials.

Friday's decision marks the culmination of a controversial year-and-a-half federal review of the highway's environmental implications on one of Washington County's most protected pieces of land, and the highly sensitive species — like the Mojave desert tortoise — given sanctuary there.

The decision, made public Thursday by the Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, was praised by county officials who've attempted to build the highway for the past decade but drew ire from the environmental groups who've already pledged to continue fighting it.

(As usual, the satellite imagery for the area is very outdated. The road is already complete and open east of the red locator, connecting to I-15 Exit 13.)

Kniwt

The new section of SR 7 has been paved from Sand Hollow Road to just shy of 3000 South in Hurricane. It's posted for only 60mph, presumably due to the big hill. It looks like there might be an eastbound climbing lane.

All photos taken 23-Jan-2021.

Dougtone

Taking the roughly 130 mile trek on US 6 from I-15 in Spanish Fork, Utah to I-70 near Green River, Utah. It is a highway of scenery and history as it winds its way through the Spanish Fork Canyon, Price Canyon and the cities of Helper and Price. Check it out at:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/01/a-journey-down-utahs-us-6-from-i-15-in.html

andy3175

Quote from: Dougtone on January 30, 2021, 11:49:34 AM
Taking the roughly 130 mile trek on US 6 from I-15 in Spanish Fork, Utah to I-70 near Green River, Utah. It is a highway of scenery and history as it winds its way through the Spanish Fork Canyon, Price Canyon and the cities of Helper and Price. Check it out at:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/01/a-journey-down-utahs-us-6-from-i-15-in.html
Speaking of US 6, an article in the Salt Lake Tribune notes safety improvements that have reduced accident-related injuries along the highway, especially the segment in Carbon County.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2020/11/13/utahs-us-transformed/

Back in 1996, Reader's Digest and the BBC damningly proclaimed the winding, narrow U.S. 6 in central Utah as one of America's deadliest highways. In the decade that followed, more than 150 people died there in more than 500 accidents that involved serious injuries.

But the Utah Transportation Commission celebrated Friday what it says has been years of quiet improvement since 2006, as the rate of crashes with serious injuries there dropped by 75% after a long series of safety projects.

That also came as traffic on the highway increased by about 50% in that time.

"That is as safe of a road as we have in the state of Utah now with all the improvements we've done,"  said commission member Kevin Van Tassell, a former state senator. Before 2006, he said he remembers signs along the route pleading, "Gov. [Mike] Leavitt, please do away with our death trap."

The route, mostly in Carbon County, is a major diagonal shortcut between the Wasatch Front and Moab or Denver.

Some of the 19 cited safety improvement projects include:

- widened shoulders and travel lanes
- additional passing lanes (once in each direction at least every six miles)
- fewer curves
- grade separated interchanges where needed (including one near Price)
- relocated truck scales and weigh station

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Route66Fan

I am just wondering, why is it so hard to find historic Utah county plat maps? I am trying to map out the routing of the "Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway" autotrail in Utah on Google Maps, however, in order to find the exact routing, I need county plat maps, or property ownership maps, from the 1910's, 1920's, or earlier. So far, all l I can find are old state maps, which while they show roughly where the route went, they don't show the exact routing, such as what local roads the route followed. When I was mapping out the routing in Kansas, I had no problem finding historic county plat maps for that state. Why am I having a problem finding historic county plat maps for Utah? I was also having somewhat of a problem like this with mapping out the route in Colorado. The Kansas county plat maps were archived by the Kansas Historical Society. Am I just looking in the wrong place? Who could I ask for a digital copy of these historic county plat, or property ownership maps? Please help, thank you.

zzcarp

Quote from: Route66Fan on March 15, 2021, 03:39:34 AM
I am just wondering, why is it so hard to find historic Utah county plat maps? I am trying to map out the routing of the "Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway" autotrail in Utah on Google Maps, however, in order to find the exact routing, I need county plat maps, or property ownership maps, from the 1910's, 1920's, or earlier. So far, all l I can find are old state maps, which while they show roughly where the route went, they don't show the exact routing, such as what local roads the route followed. When I was mapping out the routing in Kansas, I had no problem finding historic county plat maps for that state. Why am I having a problem finding historic county plat maps for Utah? I was also having somewhat of a problem like this with mapping out the route in Colorado. The Kansas county plat maps were archived by the Kansas Historical Society. Am I just looking in the wrong place? Who could I ask for a digital copy of these historic county plat, or property ownership maps? Please help, thank you.

I don't know how much you deal with online property records, but most counties nowadays have online GIS parcel maps, sometimes from which you can see traces of old highways reflected in the present property lines.

I'd look up each county's assessor's office and contact them for further research-they could likely get you old tax maps or the property ownership maps you need.
So many miles and so many roads

andy3175

Work begins next month on rehabilitating sections of Interstate 80 and Interstate 215 in Salt Lake.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210325005067/en/Sterling-Awarded-122.7-Million-Design-Build-Project-in-Utah-Featuring-Accelerated-Bridge-Construction

QuoteSterling Construction Company, Inc. Today announced its subsidiary, Ralph L. Wadsworth Construction Company, LLC, has been selected by the Utah Department of Transportation ("UDOT" ) to renew portions of I-80 and I-215, two major highways in the Salt Lake Valley, to provide improved transportation for both local and interstate travel. The project is scheduled to commence in May 2021 and will take approximately two years to complete.

This project consists of the removal and replacement of existing concrete pavement, the design and replacement of four bridge structures, and widening and adding lanes to portions of the highway. Two of the bridges will be constructed utilizing Accelerated Bridge Construction ("ABC" ), a construction method that involves the use of advanced technologies to assemble a bridge offsite and then transport it to a project site for installation.

Joe Cutillo, Sterling's CEO commented, "This sizeable project gives us the opportunity to showcase our highly differentiated Accelerated Bridge Construction capabilities. ABC is of great value to project owners as it dramatically shortens the amount of time it takes to replace an existing bridge, which translates into substantially reduced traffic impacts and inconvenience to motorists in the area around a job site. Additionally, ABC substantially improves work zone safety for both drivers and contractor personnel and minimizes environmental impact, relative to conventional bridge construction methods."
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Work begins on Zion National Park (Utah 9) bridge and tunnel construction.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2021/03/30/prc-bridge-and-tunnel-construction-to-begin-sunday-at-zion-national-park/#.YGfZ1mllDqs

QuoteConstruction for the bridge and tunnel preservation project will begin Sunday night with anticipated completion on Aug. 28 in Zion National Park.

In 2017, bridges and tunnels along the Zion-Mount Carmel Highway were inspected and are considered safe, but attention is recommended to increase service life and avoid major rehabilitation needs, according to a press release issued by the town of Springdale.

The main goals of this project include general maintenance, historic preservation and updating traffic safety devices. 
Construction is scheduled to begin on the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel (and the Zion-Mount Carmel Highway) this Sunday at 7 p.m. MDT and will continue for 50 consecutive days. According to the release, the weekly construction schedule is as follows: Sunday through Thursday work will begin at 7 p.m. and run until 5 a.m. the following morning. No construction is scheduled to occur over the weekends from Friday 5 a.m. to Sunday 10 p.m. 

During the weekly construction schedule, tunnel hours for oversized vehicle operations will end at 7 p.m. One-way traffic control will be provided from 7-10 p.m. A full closure to all vehicle traffic will be implemented in the tunnels Sunday through Friday from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. To accommodate anticipated seasonal increases in visitor traffic, oversized vehicle operation hours will change to end at 8 p.m. beginning April 23.   

The historic Zion Tunnel was carved through solid sandstone in the 1920s.

Proceeding with construction and full closures at night is anticipated to decrease traffic congestion, reduce visitor impacts, as well as facilitate safe and efficient working environment for the construction crew.  
Strategic vehicle closures will also help reduce impacts from artificial light intrusion on night skies and wildlife.  

Construction on the North Fork Virgin River Bridge and East Portal Bridge will occur during normal business hours so visitors should anticipate minor delays. One lane of vehicle travel will be provided throughout the construction period on the bridges. 
Construction of the 1.1 mile Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel began in the late 1920's and was completed in 1930. At the time that the tunnel was dedicated, on July 4, 1930, it was the longest tunnel of its type in the United States. The purpose of building the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel (and the Zion-Mount Carmel Highway) was to create direct access to Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon from Zion National Park.
Today the tunnel is basically the same as it was upon its completion over eighty years ago. This preservation project will improve the safety of the bridges and tunnels in Zion National Park. 

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

US 40 Starvation Reservoir bridge is under construction.

https://www.gephardtdaily.com/local/udot-will-begin-bridge-work-on-u-s-highway-40-over-starvation-reservoir-monday/%3famp

QuoteDUCHESNE COUNTY, Utah, March 26, 2021 (Gephardt Daily) – The Utah Department of Transportation will begin bridge repair work on U.S. Highway 40 over Starvation Reservoir Monday.

"This scheduled bridge maintenance project will maximize the value of UDOT's infrastructure investment,"  said a statement from UDOT. "Improvements will include renovating the parapet walls and resurfacing the concrete bridge deck to extend the life of the roadway. SR-35 and SR-208 are available as alternate routes to avoid construction."

There will be 15-30 minute travel delays possible and reduced speeds and lane closures in the construction area. Construction activity is anticipated Monday-Thursday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Friday. ...

The project is expected to be completed in fall 2021.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

kenarmy

Where can I find a map or info on US 50's former concurrency with US 40? I found a link but it wouldn't work. And did US 6 ever go north enough to intersect US 40 in Utah?
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Mapmikey

US 6 never touched US 40 in Utah.

Davidrumsey.com and search Utah 1956 to see US 40-50 in some detail.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Kniwt on January 14, 2021, 08:50:26 PM
The Spectrum of St. George reports that the controversial "Northern Corridor" project near St. George has been given the federal OK to proceed.
https://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/2021/01/14/northern-corridor-gets-approved-environmental-groups-pledge-fight/4160228001/

QuoteWashington County and the Utah Department of Transportation were given the OK from the Trump administration on Thursday to punch a four-lane highway through part of the Red Cliffs National Conservation Area.

Dubbed the Northern Corridor, the highway would connect Interstate 15 in the east with Red Cliffs Drive in the west, helping solve a growing traffic problem, according to county officials.

Friday's decision marks the culmination of a controversial year-and-a-half federal review of the highway's environmental implications on one of Washington County's most protected pieces of land, and the highly sensitive species – like the Mojave desert tortoise – given sanctuary there.

The decision, made public Thursday by the Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, was praised by county officials who've attempted to build the highway for the past decade but drew ire from the environmental groups who've already pledged to continue fighting it.

(As usual, the satellite imagery for the area is very outdated. The road is already complete and open east of the red locator, connecting to I-15 Exit 13.)

Any possibility this approval will be recinded by the new administration.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.