News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

AASHTO has approved I-57 in Arkansas from I-40 at North Little Rock to US 412 at Walnut Ridge.

https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2017/06/USRN-01-Minutes-and-Application-results_-AM-Phoenix-2017.pdf
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Road Hog

It appears from that the only thing approved was a Future I-57 designation. Hold on to your shields.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on October 14, 2017, 04:47:53 AM
It appears from that the only thing approved was a Future I-57 designation. Hold on to your shields.

So we'll see "Future I-57" signs?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

abqtraveler

Quote from: froggie on October 15, 2017, 03:28:25 PM
Only if FHWA approves.

The section through Jacksonville still needs to be brought up to interstate standards before US-67 can be designated as I-57. The first phase to reconstruct the Jacksonville section is underway, but IIRC, ArDOT is still trying to cobble together about $70 million to pay for the second phase project.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

mvak36

I don't know if they should be allowed to sign it yet. Missouri hasn't even shown any interest in building their portion, AFAIK.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ilpt4u

Quote from: mvak36 on October 16, 2017, 01:05:09 PM
I don't know if they should be allowed to sign it yet. Missouri hasn't even shown any interest in building their portion, AFAIK.
Signing it may be the nudge needed to get US 60 from Sikeston to Poplar Bluff upgraded to Freeway/Interstate, which IMHO should be the "easy" part for MO. Its already a partially limited divided expressway, with plenty of ROW for frontage roads to go full limited access

After that upgrade, MO and AR can work together, getting the Poplar Bluff to Walnut Ridge road built, which, I would think, will end up new terrain more than an existing US 67 upgrade, and thus, the more expensive part of the project

capt.ron

Quote from: abqtraveler on October 16, 2017, 01:33:43 AM
Only if FHWA approves.

The section through Jacksonville still needs to be brought up to interstate standards before US-67 can be designated as I-57. The first phase to reconstruct the Jacksonville section is underway, but IIRC, ArDOT is still trying to cobble together about $70 million to pay for the second phase project.
It's controlled access but fraught with dinky on-off ramps. Phase III (from the air force base exit south to Main St.) will take the longest to complete due to tight ROW.

abqtraveler

Quote from: capt.ron on October 16, 2017, 02:18:40 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on October 16, 2017, 01:33:43 AM
Only if FHWA approves.

It's controlled access but fraught with dinky on-off ramps. Phase III (from the air force base exit south to Main St.) will take the longest to complete due to tight ROW.

There is a lot of development right up to the highway between Main Street and Little Rock AFB. A lot of businesses would have to move to accommodate reconstructing US-67 Phase III.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Henry

Now the guessing game can begin as to which one will be completed first: I-57 in MO or I-87 in VA.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

At this point, the question is which MO-AR connection will get done first; I-49 or I-57.
(AR-MO?  Nah, I like "MO-AR" better; much funnier.)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Henry on October 17, 2017, 09:16:53 AM
Now the guessing game can begin as to which one will be completed first: I-57 in MO or I-87 in VA.
What about the map that shows Missouri's I-57 (currently ending) at whatever road that is. (The map I am speaking of is in some thread in Mid-South) In that case, does that mean that I57 is (or has) making/made progress in Missouri and we are just waiting for Arkansas to get going?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 57 in Arkansas: IT LIVES! I'm sure 57 will be completed before 87 in NC/VA. As for 49 vs. 57, a lot more of future 57 has been constructed than future 49, plus it is quite a bit shorter, so I'd say 57 will be done sooner than 49.

Revive 755

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 17, 2017, 05:10:25 PM
What about the map that shows Missouri's I-57 (currently ending) at whatever road that is. (The map I am speaking of is in some thread in Mid-South) In that case, does that mean that I57 is (or has) making/made progress in Missouri and we are just waiting for Arkansas to get going?

There has not been much if any progress for upgrading US 60 between I-55 and US 67, or US 67 from US 60 to the Arkansas border to a freeway.  AFAIK there's been more progress bringing US 61 up to a freeway north of I-70 to Troy.

Unless there is a big political push to finish the corridor or the locals decided to significantly chip in, the most I see is Missouri doing is four-laning the rest of US 67 down to the border and calling it good.  Even if Missouri does get more funding overall, a good amount of that is likely to go towards rebuilding I-70 and I-44 across the state IMHO.

NE2

Why did Missouri decide to upgrade US 71 to I-49? Was there dedicated funding?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sparker

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 17, 2017, 08:01:40 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 17, 2017, 05:10:25 PM

There has not been much if any progress for upgrading US 60 between I-55 and US 67, or US 67 from US 60 to the Arkansas border to a freeway.  AFAIK there's been more progress bringing US 61 up to a freeway north of I-70 to Troy.

Unless there is a big political push to finish the corridor or the locals decided to significantly chip in, the most I see is Missouri doing is four-laning the rest of US 67 down to the border and calling it good.  Even if Missouri does get more funding overall, a good amount of that is likely to go towards rebuilding I-70 and I-44 across the state IMHO.

Unless MO folks, including politicos from the SE portion of the state as well as MODOT, are completely oblivious to what's going on regarding this corridor and the developmental activities in AR, the requisite pressure to upgrade US 60 to Interstate standards and construct a freeway paralleling US 67 will likely be forthcoming in the near future.  AFAIK, tentative plans from several years back to 5-lane US 67 south of Poplar Bluff have been put on hold.  Whether this was done for simply fiscal reasons or as an acknowledgement of the potential I-57 corridor supplanting/bypassing the present facility and prompting a rethinking of that route's status isn't presently clear.  It's probable that any plans for these two connecting MO facilities are dependent upon whether or not AR follows through and sets forth concrete plans for their own freeway from Walnut Ridge to the state line.

Scott5114

Problem is that MoDOT can barely scrape together the cash for the Bella Vista bypass, much less another new interstate project. SE MO might be able to put more pressure on Jeff City than SW MO could, but I wouldn't bet on it–SW MO has a much more concrete need and direct benefit for I-49 (direct freeway connection between Joplin and NW AR) than SE MO can illustrate with I-57 (connecting...Sikeston to Little Rock, I guess?)

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2017, 02:42:28 PM

It's AR-MO...come on, we're roadgeeks, we always go south to north 'cause the milemarkers do. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mvak36

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 07:38:20 AM
Problem is that MoDOT can barely scrape together the cash for the Bella Vista bypass, much less another new interstate project. SE MO might be able to put more pressure on Jeff City than SW MO could, but I wouldn't bet on it–SW MO has a much more concrete need and direct benefit for I-49 (direct freeway connection between Joplin and NW AR) than SE MO can illustrate with I-57 (connecting...Sikeston to Little Rock, I guess?)

I agree. There are so many projects around the state that need to be done first like the BVB, the three-laning and reconstruction of I-70, etc., that I'm not sure this will happen anytime soon unless they're influenced by political pressure like you said.

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2017, 02:42:28 PM

It's AR-MO...come on, we're roadgeeks, we always go south to north 'cause the milemarkers do. :P

You might be laughing at yourself, but I almost posted the same thing yesterday...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on October 19, 2017, 08:44:26 AM

I agree. There are so many projects around the state that need to be done first like the BVB, the three-laning and reconstruction of I-70, etc., that I'm not sure this will happen anytime soon unless they're influenced by political pressure like you said.

Basically agree with the above statements -- but once Bella Vista is underway, some level of local activity toward the I-57 project might be in the hopper.  The US 60 portion of the project could be done piecemeal -- one grade separation or shoulder widening project at a time -- but the bigger project along US 67, most likely on new terrain -- will probably be the last piece to be dealt with -- probably on a longer (10+ yrs) timetable.  And, again, it'll be up to AR to finalize the plans for their northernmost portion before MO even looks seriously at doing anything on their side of the line.

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on October 19, 2017, 03:04:47 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on October 19, 2017, 08:44:26 AM

Basically agree with the above statements -- but once Bella Vista is underway, some level of local activity toward the I-57 project might be in the hopper.  The US 60 portion of the project could be done piecemeal -- one grade separation or shoulder widening project at a time -- but the bigger project along US 67, most likely on new terrain -- will probably be the last piece to be dealt with -- probably on a longer (10+ yrs) timetable.  And, again, it'll be up to AR to finalize the plans for their northernmost portion before MO even looks seriously at doing anything on their side of the line.

You have more faith in Missouri legislators coming up with that kind of many than I do lol. But maybe they will do piecemeal upgrades like you say.

bugo

Bad idea. It should have been I-30. It presently connects to I-30 while it might not connect to I-57 in Missouri for 50 years if ever.

sparker

Quote from: bugo on October 19, 2017, 09:08:49 PM
Bad idea. It should have been I-30. It presently connects to I-30 while it might not connect to I-57 in Missouri for 50 years if ever.

Really?  I-30 ending in Walnut Ridge (aka Podunk) for whatever time it takes for everyone concerned to get their shit together?  At least with the I-57 designation it knows where it's supposed to go!   

bugo

Quote from: sparker on October 19, 2017, 09:23:21 PM
Quote from: bugo on October 19, 2017, 09:08:49 PM
Really?  I-30 ending in Walnut Ridge (aka Podunk) for whatever time it takes for everyone concerned to get their shit together?  At least with the I-57 designation it knows where it's supposed to go!   

Yes, really.

Bobby5280

Quote from: bugoBad idea. It should have been I-30. It presently connects to I-30 while it might not connect to I-57 in Missouri for 50 years if ever.

The US-67 Freeway in North Little Rock doesn't really connect directly to I-30 at all. I-30 ends at Exit 153 of I-40. Exit 154 is North Hills Blvd. Then Exit 155 is US-67 (and Future I-57). The two freeways terminate into I-40 pretty close together, but it's not a single interchange.

I'm far more favor of the I-57 number than I-30. For one thing, the current route is US-67, a North-South route. I-30 is an East-West route. From the Little Rock area US-67 is carrying traffic primarily to destinations up NORTH. Not West. So an odd-numbered designation like I-57 would make more sense. And I do like the implied pressure numbering this route from North Little Rock to Jonesboro as I-57 would apply to bridging the gap to existing the end of existing I-57. It's a do-able thing and I think a project that is justifiable. It's going to be decades before I-69 is ever completed. So a lot of NAFTA oriented truck traffic coming up from Texas headed to the Northeast US is going to be taking routes like I-30 to Little Rock (and US-69 through Oklahoma to I-44) to get to those highly populated destinations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.