News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 19, 2019, 11:51:41 AM
This may have been mentioned up thread but what is the reason that Arkansas DOT has not signed US 167/US 67 as I-57?  IIRC it is approved and the road itself is connected to the interstate system and meets interstate standards.
I have yet to figure that one out. Like you said, it is controlled access from I-40 to Walnut Ridge, so there is NO reason whatsoever for it not to be signed as I-57 in that segment. Then they can plant the "Future I-57" north of Walnut Ridge (nevermind the fact the new interstate will be not built on the old alignment).
Despite the scrawny on / off ramps in Jacksonville, and the shoulders not wide (enough) through Jacksonville, it is still controlled access! ARDOT, put the I-57 shields up already!

cjk374

Quote from: capt.ron on February 19, 2019, 12:22:09 PM
ARDOT, put the I-57 shields up already!

When they do put up the I-57 shields, you can kiss all of the US 64/67/167 shields good bye because ARDOT sucks!  :banghead: :-(
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

swhuck

This may have been mentioned up thread but what is the reason that Arkansas DOT has not signed US 167/US 67 as I-57?  IIRC it is approved and the road itself is connected to the interstate system and meets interstate standards.
I have yet to figure that one out. Like you said, it is controlled access from I-40 to Walnut Ridge, so there is NO reason whatsoever for it not to be signed as I-57 in that segment. Then they can plant the "Future I-57" north of Walnut Ridge (nevermind the fact the new interstate will be not built on the old alignment).
Despite the scrawny on / off ramps in Jacksonville, and the shoulders not wide (enough) through Jacksonville, it is still controlled access! ARDOT, put the I-57 shields up already!

It's undoubtedly the scrawny on/off ramps and narrow shoulders in the Jacksonville area that are keeping it from full Interstate designation, since that factors into whether the road meets Interstate standards. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the road designated as a full Interstate once the construction in that area is complete.
Clinched: I-2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 35, 37, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 55, 59, 65, 66, 68, 70, 71, 72, 76 (both), 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 (W), 85, 86 (W), 88 (W), 93, 94, 96, 97
US50, 101, 175, 199, 290, 380, 491/666
Clinched for now: I-11, 14, 49, 57

SteveG1988

Quote from: swhuck on February 21, 2019, 06:10:30 PM

It's undoubtedly the scrawny on/off ramps and narrow shoulders in the Jacksonville area that are keeping it from full Interstate designation, since that factors into whether the road meets Interstate standards. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the road designated as a full Interstate once the construction in that area is complete.

Bingo. We're pretty much past the era of "Grandfathering" limited access roads as interstates. Look at the I-555 fight, and how they had to get the farm vehicle problem fixed. Keep it as Future 57, get the number in people's minds, and then when it is ready...apply it.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on February 22, 2019, 05:38:25 AM
Quote from: swhuck on February 21, 2019, 06:10:30 PM

Bingo. We're pretty much past the era of "Grandfathering" limited access roads as interstates. Look at the I-555 fight, and how they had to get the farm vehicle problem fixed. Keep it as Future 57, get the number in people's minds, and then when it is ready...apply it.

Can't see why this would be considered substandard...

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.882374,-92.111499,3a,75y,219.3h,66.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sridWbyQfbO2Z1SD59le5lA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

/sarc

I wasn't aware the ramps were this bad until I looked up the Jacksonville area on Google maps, no wonder it hasn't been designated yet.

I'm not sure if that ramp meets bike path standards, let alone Interstate standards...

Road Hog

The Jacksonville problem with I-57 is the exact same situation as the Sherman problem with I-45 in Texas. Both, fortunately, are in the pipeline for fixing. Probably simultaneously by coincidence.

DJStephens

Very old diagonal joint concrete pavement.  Sixties timeframe.  Kind of neat it hasn't been overlaid with asphalt.   

Road Hog

Quote from: DJStephens on February 22, 2019, 10:25:52 PM
Very old diagonal joint concrete pavement.  Sixties timeframe.  Kind of neat it hasn't been overlaid with asphalt.
If this had been a full interstate, it almost certainly would have been overlaid.

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ilpt4u

Quote from: mvak36 on February 24, 2019, 09:20:25 PM
https://www.ozarksfirst.com/amp/news/interstate-57-set-to-expand/1804670572
http://www.kfvs12.com/2019/02/22/plans-extend-i-mo-underway/

The reports didn't seem that accurate. But I guess they designated a future I-57 in Missouri.
Reading between the lines, is the $50 million number is the cost to upgrade US 60 from Sikeston to Poplar Bluff...that deduction was assisted by one of the Stills from the KFVS-TV story page

They can't have a price for Poplar Bluff to the AR/MO line, because according to the MoDOT illustration seen on the KFVS-TV story page, the alignment from Poplar Bluff south into Arkansas (and ultimately to Walnut Ridge) has yet to be determined

Is US 60 from the current I-57 Southern Terminus in Sikeston, all the way to Poplar Bluff, MO that close to Interstate standards already? I don't live too far from there, but don't head down that way very much, so no personal view

*edit* Brain fart - its Poplar Bluff, MO not Poplar Ridge

MikieTimT

The reports didn't seem that accurate. But I guess they designated a future I-57 in Missouri.

Well, they'll have to change the control city southbound in a bunch of states that currently say Memphis to instead say Little Rock.  I-57 doesn't even get anywhere near Memphis, as you'd have to take 140 miles of I-55 to get there.

ilpt4u

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 24, 2019, 09:33:20 PM

Well, they'll have to change the control city southbound in a bunch of states that currently say Memphis to instead say Little Rock.  I-57 doesn't even get anywhere near Memphis, as you'd have to take 140 miles of I-55 to get there.
"A bunch"  is 2 - Missouri and Illinois. I doubt IDOT has it as a major priority, to update I-57 South Primary Control Signage and Destination Mileage Signage to Little Rock from Memphis

To be fair, I don't believe US 67 North leaving Little Rock has updated its North Primary Control Signage to Chicago, and I-57 has been designated in Arkansas already

MikieTimT

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 24, 2019, 09:32:18 PM

Reading between the lines, is the $50 million number is the cost to upgrade US 60 from Sikeston to Poplar Ridge...that deduction was assisted by one of the Stills from the KFVS-TV story page

They can't have a price for Poplar Ridge to the AR/MO line, because according to the MoDOT illustration seen on the KFVS-TV story page, the alignment from Poplar Ridge south into Arkansas (and ultimately to Walnut Ridge) has yet to be determined

Is US 60 from the current I-57 Southern Terminus in Sikeston, all the way to Poplar Ridge, MO that close to Interstate standards already? I don't live too far from there, but don't head down that way very much, so no personal view

I just hope they build it up high enough.  There's a lot of flooded out roads in that region of Missouri and Arkansas right now.

MikieTimT

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 24, 2019, 09:39:10 PM

"A bunch"  is 2 - Missouri and Illinois. I doubt IDOT has it as a major priority, to update I-57 South Primary Control Signage and Destination Mileage Signage to Little Rock from Memphis

To be fair, I don't believe US 67 North leaving Little Rock has updated its North Primary Control Signage to Chicago, and I-57 has been designated in Arkansas already

OK, 2 states, fair enough.  No state, including Arkansas, can really logically update mileage to the new endpoints as they haven't nailed down the alignment north of Walnut Ridge yet.  There's a great deal of that area underwater right now, so wherever they choose, they've got a fairly high roadbed to build as that whole region is prone to flooding.

ilpt4u

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 24, 2019, 09:52:21 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on February 24, 2019, 09:39:10 PM

OK, 2 states, fair enough.  No state, including Arkansas, can really logically update mileage to the new endpoints as they haven't nailed down the alignment north of Walnut Ridge yet.  There's a great deal of that area underwater right now, so wherever they choose, they've got a fairly high roadbed to build as that whole region is prone to flooding.
Yup, it has rained a bunch in this area...we feel it in Southern IL too

Any idea if the Union Pacific Railroad tracks are staying above water? Maybe ARDOT should check that out during this rainy winter-into-spring...Since that is the route I-57 should take, or at least should be carefully considered

Really, all the potential cooridors should be looked at and analyzed during this nice, rainy, wet time

Avalanchez71

More waste of money on red, white, and blue shields when the US highway ones more than suffice.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2019, 09:57:34 PM
More waste of money on red, white, and blue shields when the US highway ones more than suffice.
The Upgraded path from Sikeston to Walnut Ridge is more important than the Interstate designation from Sikeston to Little Rock, agreed

Giving the I-57 Designation signals its a Freeway on the corridor...and a route that will serve Chicago, St Louis, and other traffic heading to Little Rock and Texas/Dallas/Ft Worth, while short cutting/bypassing the Memphis area...I think the I-Shield is legit here. But that is pure personal opinion, granted

MikieTimT

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 24, 2019, 10:07:35 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2019, 09:57:34 PM
The Upgraded path from Sikeston to Walnut Ridge is more important than the Interstate designation from Sikeston to Little Rock, agreed

Giving the I-57 Designation signals its a Freeway on the corridor...and a route that will serve Chicago, St Louis, and other traffic heading to Little Rock and Texas/Dallas/Ft Worth, while short cutting/bypassing the Memphis area...I think the I-Shield is legit here. But that is pure personal opinion, granted

I'd concur with all of this, but without the Interstate designation, it'd be tough to get enough other non-local interests willing to pitch in on getting funding for any stretch of it.  It'd be quicker to go from Dallas to Chicago than either of the current routes since it bypasses both St. Louis and Memphis and their congestion and perpetual construction.

US71

MoDOT just announced their plans to upgrade US 60 and US 67 to I-57
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bobby5280

Quote from: ilpt4uIs US 60 from the current I-57 Southern Terminus in Sikeston, all the way to Poplar Bluff, MO that close to Interstate standards already? I don't live too far from there, but don't head down that way very much, so no personal view

It's easy to see the situation from overhead in Google Earth/Maps as well as Street View. The main lanes of US-60 appear to be Interstate-grade already. I think the main deficiencies along the main lanes is some of the inner shoulders are not wide enough and a few old, sub-standard bridges that span small creeks need to be replaced. After that there's the larger issue of eliminating all the at-grade intersections by either building new limited access exits or cutting off access to lesser side roads. It's basically a similar upgrade situation as I-49 in Western Missouri. Just not as long. But the project is going to cost a lot more than $50 million. That kind of money would only buy maybe 3 or 4 standard diamond shaped exits.

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on February 25, 2019, 09:58:44 AM

I'd be interested to see if they have any construction planned in the near future. I can't imagine they have enough money to do this since they have a lot bigger priorities throughout the state like the I-70 Missouri River Bridge near Columbia, I-270 North in St Louis, etc.,

edwaleni

Quote from: mvak36 on February 25, 2019, 04:06:30 PM

I'd be interested to see if they have any construction planned in the near future. I can't imagine they have enough money to do this since they have a lot bigger priorities throughout the state like the I-70 Missouri River Bridge near Columbia, I-270 North in St Louis, etc.,

Per the article:

Infrastructure would continue to be worked on in the state, said Kehoe, and that Missouri had the sixth most bridges in the country with 10,900. Of those, 250 bridges are currently on the statewide transportation improvement plan (STIP). If those bridges can be moved off the plan with the bonding proposal by Governor Mike Parson, which is working its way through the Missouri Legislature, it could free up $351 million dollars in Missouri's STIP. Many of those dollars could qualify for a federal match.

"We hope that the money that gets replaced in the STIP is used by transportation planning partners and local leaders for projects that they feel are important such as the I-57 Corridor,"  Kehoe said.

mvak36

Quote from: edwaleni on February 25, 2019, 05:30:11 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on February 25, 2019, 04:06:30 PM

Per the article:

Infrastructure would continue to be worked on in the state, said Kehoe, and that Missouri had the sixth most bridges in the country with 10,900. Of those, 250 bridges are currently on the statewide transportation improvement plan (STIP). If those bridges can be moved off the plan with the bonding proposal by Governor Mike Parson, which is working its way through the Missouri Legislature, it could free up $351 million dollars in Missouri's STIP. Many of those dollars could qualify for a federal match.

"We hope that the money that gets replaced in the STIP is used by transportation planning partners and local leaders for projects that they feel are important such as the I-57 Corridor,"  Kehoe said.

Yes. That's assuming those bonds pass the legislature, which I'm pretty pessimistic about after following this stuff for the last 7 years. I'll believe it when I see it.

iPhone

Road Hog

At least Missouri is finally talking about it, which is progress.

Henry

While I do not agree with the I-57 number being used (if anything, it should've been an extension of I-30), I think it would be a great benefit to have Chicago and Dallas connected by a more direct nonstop route.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.